E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW CODING success

08-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #4181
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Thanks, I will do that. However, with repect to your response concerning opening the MAN file with notepad, step 62. Indicates to select “save as type” to all files so that it will accept our “.MAN” extension. If not it will save it as a text file. Wouldn't opening it with notebook be opening it as a text file?

Btw, considering that I deleted the 7kb and replaced it with the 220kb file (which had the BC_Digital_V) and attempted to code the car using this file. Could I have potentially bricked my car? I drove it this morning and didnt notice anything different. How can i confirm if my car is indeed "bricked"? Also is there any special steps I need to take as a result of my error using the 220kb file I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by toicy4ya; 08-27-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #4182
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
Thanks, I will do that. However, with repect to your response concerning opening the MAN file with notepad, step 62. Indicates to select “save as type” to all files so that it will accept our “.MAN” extension. If not it will save it as a text file. Wouldn't opening it with notebook be opening it as a text file?

Btw, considering that I deleted the 7kb and replaced it with the 220kb file (which had the BC_Digital_V) and attempted to code the car using this file. Could I have potentially bricked my car? I drove it this morning and didnt notice anything different. How can i confirm if my car is indeed "bricked"? Also is there any special steps I need to take as a result of my error using the 220kb file I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance
If your car is running fine with no abnormal behavior, you're probably fine -- but just to be safe, you should pull new traces of your CAS and KOMBI modules just to make sure they look ok, i.e. they're not 220KB large. Also, keep that 220KB file as a backup and for reference, and ALWAYS back up the TRC files of the modules you code before you change values in case you mess up and need to revert to a known good configuration. If you did that when you were reading those modules, put the backed up configs into the MAN file and code those modules with that file. If you didn't back up, then shame on you.

If you open a file in Notepad that already has a MAN extension, make changes, and click Save (not Save As), it will retain the existing file name; it won't add a .TXT extension. The TXT extension is just Notepad's default when saving out to a new file. Personally I find it easier not to use the recommended Save As routine. Instead, I've set up my computer to open up TRC and MAN files in Notepad, so now I can read a module, open the TRC file, copy/paste its contents into the MAN file, make the changes, and click Save. It saves a lot of clicks and typing.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #4183
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep

Is there a link that might provide instructions on how to pull the new traces of the CAS and KOMBI modules just to make sure they look ok. *

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #4184
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there a link that might provide instructions on how to pull the new traces of the CAS and KOMBI modules just to make sure they look ok. *
The DIY....just follow the instructions up through clicking "Read ECU".

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #4185
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep

What exactly am I looking for? How can I tell I'd something is out of place?

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #4186
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What exactly am I looking for? How can I tell I'd something is out of place?
At this point since it sounds like you didn't take a backup before you tried to code your car, all you can really do is make sure the file size is a whole lot less than 220KB. You could also try coding your car while the MAN file is blank, which resets all of the values in that module to their factory defaults.

And then back up before you make further changes. Experimenting on an expensive car with a new-to-you and not particularly user-friendly process without giving yourself an escape hatch isn't the best idea.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #4187
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep

jphughan,

Thanks for all your feedback. I did make a back up. That was the first step before attempting to code. However, I was unclear in reference to what to look for when pulling the new traces of the CAS and KOMBI modules.

I admit the process is not user friendly, far from it actually. But how else can one learn without attempting. Unfortunately, the NCS_DIY offers a basic introduction. The rest is left up to researching and the general consesus is to ensure you are doing it right the first time in order to avoid headaches in the long run. Hence all my questions...

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #4188
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
jphughan,

Thanks for all your feedback. I did make a back up. That was the first step before attempting to code. However, I was unclear in reference to what exactly I was looking for in my previous post.

I admit the process is not user friendly, far from it actually. But how else can one learn without attempting. Unfortunately, the NCS_DIY offers a basic introduction. The rest is left up to researching and the general consesus is to ensure you are doing it right the first time in order to avoid headaches in the long run. Hence all my questions...
Not a problem. If you have a backup of each module you modified that you took before you made any modifications, then put that module's backed up config into the MAN file, recode the corresponding module, and repeat as necessary for each module you touched. Then all should be well for sure.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #4189
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, I was just about to do that when i noticed that my NCS_Expert has numerous profiles.

I believe they were there when i initially installed the program but wasnt sure what they were at the time. My understanding is that there should only be one profile, mines which is FZG4.PFL created on 8/26/12.

Anyone ever had or seen this?

Should i just delete all the other profiles?

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #4190
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I was just about to do that when i noticed that my NCS_Expert has numerous profiles. I believe they were there when i initially installed the program but wasnt sure what they were at the time. My understanding is that there should only be one profile, mines.

Anyone ever had or seen this?

Should i just delete all the other profiles?
Just leave them. The DIY walks you through creating the FSW PSW MAN profile. Just save that and use it every time you code.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #4191
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep

It did, however i have two FSW PSW MAN profiles now. Im not sure which one i should be using?

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #4192
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It did, however i have two FSW PSW MAN profiles now. Im not sure which one i should be using?

They're probably identical, but if you're really worried about it, go through the DIY steps covering how to build the correct NCS profile and save it as something more descriptive, like "The right profile" and then just use that. There's no reason the name has to be FSW PSW MAN.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #4193
Mixalota
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Please help! Getting error massage while flashing CAS

Hi guys,

I am trying to modificate some settings like "miles -> km" and so on. I couldn't find the values in KOMBI, so I modificate the FSW_PSW.TRC file from the initial vehicle backup and flash it back. I am using Windows XP, did every step from NCS_DIY, updated Daten to v.46.1 via BMW coding tool.

Now I am getting following error massage:

ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_PL2FRX.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2000
COAPI-2000: Fehler in EDIABAS oder in SG-Beschreibungsdatei
BIP-0009: Faulty BEST version of description file

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2000
CODIERINDEX_LESEN

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI.CPP, Proc: coapiReadCodierIndexFromSg, LineNr: 05, ErrorNr: 2000
CODIERINDEX_LESEN: A_PL2FRX

>> ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_E65.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2000

CODIERINDEX_LESEN

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI.CPP, Proc: coapiReadCodierIndexFromSg, LineNr: 05, ErrorNr: 2000
CODIERINDEX_LESEN: A_E65

>> ERROR! Modul: A_SMCKWL.IPS, Proc: CodIndex2Lesen, LineNr: 495, ErrorNr: 2020
FRM_87, ID_SMC_LESEN: ERROR_ECU_BUSY_REPEAT_REQUEST

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2020
CODIERINDEX_LESEN

>> ERROR! Modul: A_SMCKWR.IPS, Proc: CodIndex2Lesen, LineNr: 495, ErrorNr: 2020
FRM_87, ID_SMC_LESEN: ERROR_ECU_BUSY_REPEAT_REQUEST

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2020
CODIERINDEX_LESEN

>> ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_E65.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2000

CODIERINDEX_LESEN

CODIERINDEX_LESEN

>> ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_PL2FRX.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2000

SG_CODIEREN

Any ideas? The only think I realised is that KOMBI turned for a sec to km and than back to miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #4194
Shaggy
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Faulty bes version means thatyou need to update ncs to newest version and spdaten files also. Plus uou should never code trc frm whole car !!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #4195
Mixalota
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Faulty bes version means thatyou need to update ncs to newest version and spdaten files also. Plus uou should never code trc frm whole car !!!
I have NCSexper v.3.1.0 and Daten v46.1. I think this is the newest version.

Understand, I thought this will be the only to get the basic settings changed. But how can I modifiy the following settings:

ZEIT_EINHEIT -> 24_Stunden

DATUM_EINHEIT -> tt_mm_jj

VERBRAUCH -> l/100km

WEG_EINHEIT -> km

TEMPERATUR_EINHEIT -> grad_c

I can't find these settings in KOMBI or IHK.
I have imported an 2008 335i from US to Germany and want to modify these settings.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #4196
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixalota View Post
Hi guys,

I am trying to modificate some settings like "miles -> km" and so on. I couldn't find the values in KOMBI, so I modificate the FSW_PSW.TRC file from the initial vehicle backup and flash it back. I am using Windows XP, did every step from NCS_DIY, updated Daten to v.46.1 via BMW coding tool.

Now I am getting following error massage:

(snipped)
It's been said many times here: Do not EVER code your car using the large backup and the Process Car command. That should ONLY be used as a recovery method or if you modify your VO (if you don't know what that means, you don't need it). People have bricked their cars doing what you did.

The fact that an option exists in your full car trace does not mean your car will actually accept that option. The full car trace contains EVERY option supported by the version of the software you have, which is used on SEVERAL car models with SEVERAL option configurations, whereas the configs in individual modules have only the options that are valid for YOUR car with YOUR option setup.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #4197
Mixalota
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
It's been said many times here: Do not EVER code your car using the large backup and the Process Car command. That should ONLY be used as a recovery method or if you modify your VO (if you don't know what that means, you don't need it). People have bricked their cars doing what you did.

The fact that an option exists in your full car trace does not mean your car will actually accept that option. The full car trace contains EVERY option supported by the version of the software you have, which is used on SEVERAL car models with SEVERAL option configurations, whereas the configs in individual modules have only the options that are valid for YOUR car with YOUR option setup.
Ok, thanks so far, I got what you mean. I hopefully haven't messed up anything. But again, how can I change following settings:

ZEIT_EINHEIT -> 24_Stunden

DATUM_EINHEIT -> tt_mm_jj

VERBRAUCH -> l/100km

WEG_EINHEIT -> km

TEMPERATUR_EINHEIT -> grad_c

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #4198
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ If you can't find them in any module even after getting current daten and ECU files, then you probably can't change those values, at least not without modifying your VO to set it to Euro-spec or some other country where KM is default, but changing a car's region would have a whole host of other consequences.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #4199
Mixalota
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
^ If you can't find them in any module even after getting current daten and ECU files, then you probably can't change those values, at least not without modifying your VO to set it to Euro-spec or some other country where KM is default, but changing a car's region would have a whole host of other consequences.
But I can see those values I would like to change when I do a full back up. So in my understanding, these values must be somewhere to get changed. Which VO must be added to do the euro-spec modifications? Do I see the some values in KOMBI after adding this new VO?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #4200
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixalota View Post
But I can see those values I would like to change when I do a full back up. So in my understanding, these values must be somewhere to get changed. Which VO must be added to do the euro-spec modifications? Do I see the some values in KOMBI after adding this new VO?
Like I said in my earlier post, the fact that you can see certain values in the full car backup does NOT mean they're actively used or even available on YOUR specific car with YOUR specific set of options and parameters. The full car backup contains a list of ALL options that are valid on EVERY car with EVERY option configuration that the revision of the BMW software running in your car supports -- so no, the fact that you see them there does NOT mean they will also exist in one of your modules.

I don't know off-hand what the VO code would be to change your car to a different region, but that's going to change a TON of things about your car, such as how the lights behave (to comply with laws in those countries about what sort of lights and light behaviors are allowed), and it may also cause a ton of errors from the car expecting Euro versions of various parts to be in your car when they're not. And no, even then you wouldn't necessarily see those values in KOMBI; it might just default to the behavior you want and still be non-configurable.

Trust me, it's not worth it for what you want to do. If you didn't already make sure you're running the latest ECU files for your chassis as I suggested earlier (which sometimes DOES surface new options in modules), then try that. If you did and they're still not showing, give up before you break something.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #4201
Mixalota
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Like I said in my earlier post, the fact that you can see certain values in the full car backup does NOT mean they're actively used or even available on YOUR specific car with YOUR specific set of options and parameters. The full car backup contains a list of ALL options that are valid on EVERY car with EVERY option configuration that the revision of the BMW software running in your car supports -- so no, the fact that you see them there does NOT mean they will also exist in one of your modules.

I don't know off-hand what the VO code would be to change your car to a different region, but that's going to change a TON of things about your car, such as how the lights behave (to comply with laws in those countries about what sort of lights and light behaviors are allowed), and it may also cause a ton of errors from the car expecting Euro versions of various parts to be in your car when they're not. And no, even then you wouldn't necessarily see those values in KOMBI; it might just default to the behavior you want and still be non-configurable.

Trust me, it's not worth it for what you want to do. If you didn't already make sure you're running the latest ECU files for your chassis as I suggested earlier (which sometimes DOES surface new options in modules), then try that. If you did and they're still not showing, give up before you break something.
Ok, understand, thanks for your help so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #4202
kevininc1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

e92 coding/windows!

e92 coding/windows!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_jason
Ok guys I need some big help!

I have coded a few things and all was working well. Except now I noticed that My windows on my Coupe do not auto slightly open and slight close when opening and closing my door. The way they normally would do to make a tight seal?

Any idea why this may be? Did I change a value that I shouldn't have?

Anyone know which code operates this?
what was the solution to this issue? i have had the same thing happen and i have had the windows re-taught though inpa and manually.
Appreciate 0