E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sub Setup Advice/Opinions

06-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
GeauxChad
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, Balck/Terra

Sub Setup Advice/Opinions

I am looking for opinions/advice regarding changing my setup after blowing my current sub. My goal is (probably what every person upgrading a system is looking to accomplish) to have quality, tight bass output which can be quite powerful and loud on the occasions which I want it, but not to be run constantly in an effort to simulate an earthquake. Also, I would rate myself average in terms of knowledge of car audio...not helpless, but also not completely fluent...

I have a stock, non-Logic 7 system to which I added a JL 500/1 amp paired with a JL 10w3v2 sub. It's mounted in a custom sealed box which fits in the cubby on the left hand side of the trunk. Recently, it quit working, and I took it into a car audio shop and he touched the wires to the terminal of a battery and it didn't respond. He thinks it blew, or rather, that it had an internal meltdown and froze up. He thinks that the sub was overpowered with the 500/1 amp...an opinion that was also held by the original shop that installed the setup.

So, I am looking at a replacement. I kinda felt like the sub wasn't loud enough, but it did sound good. Here are the options I have come up with:

1) Replace the sub with another 10w3v2. This is the cheapest option, but I would like to get a bit louder. Also, I will more than likely blow it again.

2) Remove the custom box/sub and replace with a standard sealed box and upgrade to a JL 10w6v2 or 12w6v2. This is more expensive because I will have to buy a box as well as a more expensive sub. But, the amp's power will be handled better by the w6 line of subs. Also, I would be able to remove the box if trunk space were required.

3) Same as #2, but place in a ported box for louder sound.

4) #3 plus replacing the interior 8" woofers underneath the seats so that the loss of sound quality (tightness) and range from mouting in a ported box would (hypothetically) be offset by better 8" woofers. Would I need to buy a second amp for these? Are extensive mods required to install/power these 8" subs?

I have read online that there really isn't much of a difference in loudness between the w3 and w6...just better sound quality. So I am not sure if this is the best route.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #2
Ovalcram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

How the 500/1 is getting a signal?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
GeauxChad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
How the 500/1 is getting a signal?
Clarification??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxChad View Post
Clarification??
I mean where is it getting the input signal from. Directly from the head unit, through an LOC, processor....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
GeauxChad
Rep

I really don't know man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I mean where is it getting the input signal from. Directly from the head unit, through an LOC, processor....
Appreciate 0