E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 Subaru WRX STi Sedan VS 2008/2009 335i Sedan, which one??

04-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line

2011 Subaru WRX STi Sedan VS 2008/2009 335i Sedan, which one??

Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here and have been contemplating the new STi sedans vs the 335i sedan.

I know they are 2 different beasts, but these are the only 2 that I've considered.

I've read as much as I can read on the HPFP recalls and the "reliability" issues of the N54. I'm at the stage where I want a nice car, that I can throw some decent mods on and call it a day.

I've done my fair share of motorswaps and mods from head to toe, but now that I'm older I want a car I can just enjoy to drive instead of spending tons to get the car up to my standards.

I know the Subaru has a very bleek interior, questionable audio system and etc, whereas the BMW is definitely more refined. Power seems to be very comparable, but I know the N54 motor has huge potential just by chipping and reaching the 400hp mark.

Has anyone driven both? I'm slightly leaning towards the STi only because I don't want the dealership to be my second home, and second the STi holds value like no other car (in it's class).

I'd say aftermarket support is definitely there for both platforms, so that's not a huge issue for me.

I'm looking for something I can enjoy to drive, rip around the track couple times a year and have it there when I need it.

Maintenance and parts are cheaper for the STi, but the BMW looks much sleeker. I also love the auto tranny on the BMW, it shifts lightning fast and the downshift rev matching is on point. I don't need auto, but that's just another option to consider esp if the wife drives it.

Thoughts? How do these 2 cars stack up against each other in terms of performance?

Last edited by duckJAI; 04-28-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
335icandy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 328dX Msport Estoril Blue

Wow, great post. I had a similar dilemma. I went Bmw in the end as that was what I've been accustomed to. 335i is truly a different breed of beast.

I borrowed a friends 2011 STI sedan for a month to see if it was something I'd like... As much as the car rocks, it wasn't for me. Fuel mileage was terrible, and power wasn't as great as the base Wrx sedan for some reason. But overall solid car, japanese built, you should never have any headaches with one.

Bmw however has the class, luxury, prestige, different driving feel, and amazing N54 motor. As fast as the STI is, I still feel more torque with the bmw 335i... highway monster...

Bmw won't hold its value anywhere as well as the Subaru Sti's and WRX's do...

I could go on and on, but in the end of the day, If I were you, I'd drive both (extended test drive) and see how each car makes you feel.

That being said, I'll always keep a BMW in the family, and I just might buy a Subaru base wrx sedan in the near future for a daily driver/winter car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep

Other than HPFP, injectors, wastegates/turbos, what are the other common items that people go into service for?

You see TONS of 335i in the market, compared to that of Subarus. I'd LOVE to own a 335i, as I've driven one before with the JB4 tune and I was instantly in love, but after some research of how these cars need to go into the stealership for constant maintenance is a little of a turn off. Especially when almost everyone says do not own a BMW out of CPO. These cars will get past the CPO date and then you're on your own, so I'm looking at least 5yrs+ in keeping the car.

Is it really THAT bad?? I know the forum is 90% complaints, 10% compliments, so I take everything with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
CUTigers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [10.00]
2008 e90 335i  [9.00]
Based on your year STi, I say heck no with it. BMW all the way. I think 2007? Was the last good STi, the new ones are slow and crap. Even my subbie friends say the wouldn't own a new one. Only the older ones. Plus the new ones are so heavy.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Keep in mind... People buy bimmers as status symbols. Lease, minimal payments and get a new one or latest status symbol. Keeps the market full of nice, low mile cars. Which means lower resale.
Wrx's are a different animal. Pretty much anyone who buys a wrx is an enthusiast. Thy tend to keep them, and when they do sell them, can ask top buck and get it.
Having said that, I love my 328i, and offers everything I wanted in a car. More power is always nice, but my performance balance said 328.
It is not always about numbers. Go with what talks to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckJAI View Post
Other than HPFP, injectors, wastegates/turbos, what are the other common items that people go into service for?

You see TONS of 335i in the market, compared to that of Subarus. I'd LOVE to own a 335i, as I've driven one before with the JB4 tune and I was instantly in love, but after some research of how these cars need to go into the stealership for constant maintenance is a little of a turn off. Especially when almost everyone says do not own a BMW out of CPO. These cars will get past the CPO date and then you're on your own, so I'm looking at least 5yrs+ in keeping the car.

Is it really THAT bad?? I know the forum is 90% complaints, 10% compliments, so I take everything with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
americanbairn
Rep
Drives: 1351

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here and have been contemplating the new STi sedans vs the 335i sedan.

I know they are 2 different beasts, but these are the only 2 that I've considered.

I've read as much as I can read on the HPFP recalls and the "reliability" issues of the N54. I'm at the stage where I want a nice car, that I can throw some decent mods on and call it a day.

I've done my fair share of motorswaps and mods from head to toe, but now that I'm older I want a car I can just enjoy to drive instead of spending tons to get the car up to my standards.

I know the Subaru has a very bleek interior, questionable audio system and etc, whereas the BMW is definitely more refined. Power seems to be very comparable, but I know the N54 motor has huge potential just by chipping and reaching the 400hp mark.

Has anyone driven both? I'm slightly leaning towards the STi only because I don't want the dealership to be my second home, and second the STi holds value like no other car (in it's class).

I'd say aftermarket support is definitely there for both platforms, so that's not a huge issue for me.

I'm looking for something I can enjoy to drive, rip around the track couple times a year and have it there when I need it.

Maintenance and parts are cheaper for the STi, but the BMW looks much sleeker. I also love the auto tranny on the BMW, it shifts lightning fast and the downshift rev matching is on point. I don't need auto, but that's just another option to consider esp if the wife drives it.

Thoughts? How do these 2 cars stack up against each other in terms of performance?
If you like rattling A pillars, throw out bearings that squeal at 25k, exhaust welds that blow out at 40k, and general cheapness, the STI is for you. I just traded my '10 wrx for a '12 135 w/ DCT and couldn't be happier. Night and day fit and finish and the 135 is as fast, just not as visceral. PPK and performance exhaust are on the list. But I will miss the wave from all the other wrx owners...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
I'd still say 335i
      04-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Snkypete
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2000 Mustang GT  [0.00]
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
I recently sold my 2007 WRX Ltd 5sp (non-STi) and replaced it with a 2008 335xi AT- hopefully some of my thoughts can help....you say you're older, but I'm not sure what range....I'm 42 if that helps and have been turning wrenches since I was 9.

Ride quality : The two cars aren't even in the same realm, and the STi has even less sound insulation than the Limited. The E90 handles better than my WRX as well, braking is better too - the Ltd has the upgraded brakes FWIW (I take the same route to work, use the same markers for apexing turns and braking).

Interior : Even with the upgraded Limited interior, the E90 is superior in comfort. Not sure if you're tall or not but if that's a factor there is also more room.

Mileage : I am getting slightly lower MPG in the E90 than the WRX. Both were tuned, the WRX also had a turbo back exhaust. I was getting 28 in the WRX, I'm getting like 26 in the 335.

Transmissions : As much as I love a standard, it's nice not having to shift in rush hour traffic. Plus now she can drive the car if necessary.

HPFP/Injectors : My car came to me with these recalls done already. I've put ~2000mi on the car without issue. I am going to get the valves cleaned however.

The 335 with just the Cobb AP and a tweak tune from EFI Logics is making substantially more power than the Ltd (yes the STi would be more than the Ltd obviously) but I plan on adding a FMIC and exhaust and then stepping up to a StageII Aggressive tune.

Basic maintenance isn't bad if you know what you're doing - just be prepared to rip half of the vehicle apart to do anything. But it is very well crafted. Things like bulbs, plugs, etc were much easier on the Subie.

We actually converted from two subies - 07 WRX and 08 Forester XT to the 08 335xi and a 08 X5. I agree the WRX can hold its value, I sold it for a good amount. But I wouldn't go back....and I agree, I don't miss all the 20 year olds nodding at me when I drive by.

I still wouldn't buy one new - but that's just me....but CPO or a clean 2 year old car I'd buy in a heartbeat again.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

I've had zero problems with my 2010 335i. And prior to that, zero problems on my 2006 E90 330i (clearly different engine). Try to get the service history on the BMW before you buy it - if it has had lots of issues, I'd stay away. If it looks good, I'd go for it!

Good luck.
Rich
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I can't believe I'm reading a serious post where someone is comparing a BMW with a Subaru and can't decide which one is the better car...

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Well it all depends on what you want. I had a 2005 sti and now I have an 07 335 and they are completely different animals. The newer sti is more of a compromise between the 2. It is more muted in every aspect than the old sti but definitely not as refined as the bmw.

Most of the points people have made are true.

Resale: subaru
Maintenance (frequency and cost): subaru
Performance: imo is a wash. The sti is more visceral but the 335 responds to mods better but the sti has all wheel drive and limited slips etc. Both are far more than anyone needs for the street.
Looks: bmw
Practicality: probably subaru if you get the hatch.

Imo you can't go wrong with either.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Mgrant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 MINI Cooper S

I personnally never owned a Subi before but I did drive my friends 2010 WRX.
With that being said, I would pick the 335 anyday.

Interior : Subi had some rattles (very annoying) and very little accomodations, audio system is decent but far from great, the seats are comfortable even on long trips. As for the BMW, I've had not one single rattle, the audio system is very good and the seats might not hold you has well as the WRX's but they are very comfortable and leather

All in all I chose BMW since i wanted the "luxury" along with performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

The STI is definitely a great car as well, and I even considered one before my 335i.

The main issue is that stock, it's simply underpowered. The WRX posts faster numbers, while obviously the STI has a more track oriented setup. It's a good looking car though, and the interior, while not like the BMW, is interesting regardless.

In the end - I much prefer the 335i. It's a bit faster, but much more refined as well. Just make sure you get a CPO with warranty, and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Xpander
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N51,LCI,M-Sport,6MT

Legacy gt?
      04-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

As a former WRX owner, I can easily see your dilemma. I would say one of the biggest differences between the two cars is how they feel when you DON'T push them, as in everyday driving. The 3er feels very refined and almost luxurious on mild driving, whereas the STI, well, you know how it feels.

So apart from the obvious RWD vs AWD, I would also consider the difference in character for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
aleksl
Dinan 2
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

If you mod the STI the engine will likely give you issues down the line. Look up ringland problems on Subaru boards.
      04-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I can't believe I'm reading a serious post where someone is comparing a BMW with a Subaru and can't decide which one is the better car...
I'm comparing them to what the pros/cons are, as both of them are a performance sedans.

I completely understand that the quality is on different levels, but the STi does make it up in terms of reliability, and retaining value if the day does come where I need to sell it. All the STis that are on the market, generally get sold very quicky, as compared to the mass amounts of 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksl View Post
If you mod the STI the engine will likely give you issues down the line. Look up ringland problems on Subaru boards.
I wouldn't really touch the engine. I'd probably do a stage 2 and throw some KW v3s and call it a day. From what I've read the ringland issues were only for the 08-09. 11-12' is still too early to say.

Last edited by duckJAI; 04-28-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep

What do you guys plan to do after CPO is done? I think a lot of the 07' 335i guys are probably in this situation.

What other COMMON issues does the 335i have. I don't mean 10 posts of the same problem on the boards, I mean widely known issues. HPFP, Injectors? etc etc?

What are the common maintenance items that come up often? Do brakes wear out quickly (obviously this is very subjective and driver dependent) I've heard even a brake job would be $1000+ (I'm in Canada, so our prices are much higher than US prices).

At the end of the day, I'd really love to own a 335i since driving one with a simple JB4 tune and springs and shocks (not even coilovers) and the handling was amazing. But I just need to justify and reassure myself that simple maintenance stuff isn't going to cost an arm and a leg each time (I do understand parts will be $, but I don't want to be paying in excessive amounts, I'd rather use that money for mods).

I'm 26, but I'd say I'm mature for my age with 2 kids. I've sat in the back seats and they didn't seem too bad, better than the 2005 Legacy GT I had. I think both the STi sedan and 335i are equal in backseat space?

The new STi sedans are definitely much more refined than the 05-07, as those were just RAW performance. The 2012s are even slightly better than the 2011 as they have bigger NAV and improved audio systems. But I'm not REALLY buying a car for these features, but it's definitely a bonus. The thing I love about the 335i is the adjustable bolster seats. That's definitely a nice feature to have. For track use, and for the days where you drive to the cottage. Versatility.

Last edited by duckJAI; 04-28-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

You should probably ask this question on a Subaru forum and get better responses (biased as they may be).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by project6 View Post
You should probably ask this question on a Subaru forum and get better responses (biased as they may be).
LOL, I plan on doing that after. Then compare notes haha. I have some background with Subaru's and are more familiar with them, to BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
I'm comparing them to what the pros/cons are, as both of them are a performance sedans.

I completely understand that the quality is on different levels, but the STi does make it up in terms of reliability, and retaining value if the day does come where I need to sell it. All the STis that are on the market, generally get sold very quicky, as compared to the mass amounts of 335i.
I've had no "reliability" problems with my 335i, and I'd venture to say that there have been far more 335s sold than STIs, which explains why there are more 3-series on the market, not to mention the price differential. Some people like moving up a few years, others are lease returns. The two cars may both be "sedans", but that's like saying a 4-door Civic Si and an Acura TL Type R are both "performance sedans" and are therefore somehow comparable.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0