E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Virginia Beach? Worth moving to?

05-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Virginia Beach? Worth moving to?

Thinking about moving from Mass. Looks like it costs less and I know it's warmer there... sounds like a win-win. Anyone live there? Good area to look? Complaints?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
thedza
On the hunt
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB F06 650i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
Thinking about moving from Mass. Looks like it costs less and I know it's warmer there... sounds like a win-win. Anyone live there? Good area to look? Complaints?
how did you narrow down to vabeach? and there are tons of places cheaper and warmer than boston...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedza
Quote:
how did you narrow down to vabeach? and there are tons of places cheaper and warmer than boston...
I looked at distance to the north east(don't want to be too far from fam) and wanted to be by the water. I can live anywhere and remember a few people saying that it was a great vacation spot.

2023 M4 xd BSM
IG: MFor_YourPleasure
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I looked at distance to the north east(don't want to be too far from fam) and wanted to be by the water. I can live anywhere and remember a few people saying that it was a great vacation spot.
VA Beach is pretty run down and mostly Ghetto. Move to DC area, and your only 3 hours from the beach Ocean City, MD and VA beach, not to mention more jobs if your in gov't contractor world.

Just my 2 cents.
      05-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #5
giaolong
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, Genesis, IS300

Lived here for 10 years and I grew to like it. There is a little bit of everything here and u do have to find a better area to live in. Also, if u r making 100k+ a year, life can be comfortable and interesting here.

+1 on the question how did u narrow down to virginia beach though haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Ha, I was actually expecting a few responses saying that it was awesome. Making me question it now. I have to move in to a place by July 5th and can really go anywhere since I work from home.

How I chose VA Beach: I wanted to be by water, save some money (my 1 bedroom apt is $2k/mo here in Mass). I'm about 30 min from the ocean. The past winter sucked big time. I have family in NY that's getting a little older so I didn't want to go too far away but would like someplace warmer so I was thinking VA, NC, SC. I remember a couple friends going to Virginia Beach for a vacation and had a great time, I looked at places to rent there and they're cheap as hell lol. That's why I'm thinking of moving there
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
xzibit a
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

The beachfront is not the greatest place to live. Infact a better option is Easter shore MD, its a little further north but Much nicer. places like Easton, Cambridge, Salisbury are much cheaper and close to the bay and the beach. still within commuting distance to DC so you can make 6 figures easily depending on your job. ocean city is just as ghetto as Virginia beach for the most part. Same with Myrtle, and most other beach towns since they are seasonal. There are nice parts to all those areas but being 30-45 min further inland is a much better option
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
fastaction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Virginia Beach is fun in the summer on vacation as it has a fun cruising strip and boardwalk etc. I always thought of it as a mini Daytona Beach but much closer to Cleveland. Everyone who works on this strip in the summer seems to be from Europe. The navy base is very noisey there with planes landing/taking off, Big debate about this but I enjoy aircraft. Assuming it is pretty dead there during the off season.
      05-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I'm glad I asked. I do pretty well with my job and can physically work from anywhere. There is really no benefit for me to be in Massachusetts which is why I'm looking. I pay way too much here and don't have to. I didn't take the seasonality in to consideration.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
LightningTuned
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

I would not live here if i did not have to. Im in the military so im kind of stuck here. There is tons of Jet Noise in Virginia beach, so much so that you cant hear someone 5 feet away from you if the jets are overhead. We have one of the highest food taxes in the country, like 11.5% so going out to eat suddenly becomes kind of pricey. Rent is not cheap, Sure it might be cheaper then mass but its still not cheap. Im from Florida and I really loathe this place, but im stuck here so I try not to complain too much. Over the last few years the area is getting very "dark" Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, All very dark/ghetto areas and now Virginia beach is honestly starting to get this way, I have been here for 8 years and i have definitely noticed a change. If you want beach life I would head a little further south, Outer banks NC is only an hour or so south of here and its much nicer, quieter, im sure cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I've officially ruled out Virginia Beach. REALLY glad I asked! Going to check out Charleston SC. Heard good stuff about there.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #12
335Fresh
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e92 & 430xi f32

I've lived in hampton roads all of my life and just like any other city/town there are good and bad parts....that being said i would definitely live in Charleston before va beach (just more fun things to do, nothing to do w/"DARK" semi racist statement) Va beach is really nice if you're into the touristy stuff but as i said id rather LIVE in charleston...you'll be fine either way just make sure you research the area/neighborhood you are moving to...theres a reason VA Beach is always in the top 50 places to live in USA

http://247wallst.com/special-report/...ies-to-live/5/

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/slidesho...cities#slide44

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
tmaung
CCA Member#: 439255
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
I've officially ruled out Virginia Beach. REALLY glad I asked! Going to check out Charleston SC. Heard good stuff about there.
+1 on Charleston/Savannah area. Also OBX is pretty peaceful as well. As others have mentioned and I agree that OC, VA Beach and Myrtle are not as nice nor peaceful. I like the cheaper standard of living (rent/food) and the southern charm of Charleston and Savannah.
      05-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #14
LightningTuned
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Fresh View Post
I've lived in hampton roads all of my life and just like any other city/town there are good and bad parts....that being said i would definitely live in Charleston before va beach (just more fun things to do, nothing to do w/"DARK" semi racist statement) Va beach is really nice if you're into the touristy stuff but as i said id rather LIVE in charleston...you'll be fine either way just make sure you research the area/neighborhood you are moving to...theres a reason VA Beach is always in the top 50 places to live in USA

http://247wallst.com/special-report/...ies-to-live/5/

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/slidesho...cities#slide44

Just my 2 cents

Im going to go out on a limb here and say the ONLY, and I mean ONLY reason Virginia Beach ranks so high is because there is so much military here and we are forced to live here the military is LITTERALLY the statistics keeping it on the list, No one in their right mind wants to live in Norfolk, and the really cheap military people live in Hampton, But if you want to live in a nice area then your going to be living in Virginia Beach, I work in Norfolk, and live at va beach and its only a 20 min drive down 64. Chesapeake is sort of nice just like va beach, but its further from Norfolk (The biggest navy base in the world where I would say 50% of the people in Hampton roads work at) and more spread out, and honestly its more expensive to live there then to live here.

Im glad you have changed your mind about this place, I hear great things about Charleston SC, I would deff check out Outterbanks NC as well, I have been down there a few times and its really a great area.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #15
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Charleston is awesome. I would def. choose that over VA Beach. Outer banks is way too seasonal, and you would literally have nothing to do in winter/fall other than sing karaoke with old farts that live at a dive bar!
      05-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
Amuze
No faggotry.
Rep

If you can do Chucktown, do it. You won't regret that move. I lived there before and loved it. Mt Pleasant is more pricey, but nothing like the north east. Lot of NICE beaches to choose from, easy access, slow pace, young people, everyone's nice. IOP is a chill beach, Sullivans is super nice and relaxing, and Folly is fun.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #17
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuze View Post
If you can do Chucktown, do it. You won't regret that move. I lived there before and loved it. Mt Pleasant is more pricey, but nothing like the north east. Lot of NICE beaches to choose from, easy access, slow pace, young people, everyone's nice. IOP is a chill beach, Sullivans is super nice and relaxing, and Folly is fun.
Very cool, going to head down to CHS later this month to check out some places. I'd be looking for someplace where I can walk to attractions (food, shopping, beach?) if possible. I'm excited to see what it has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #18
335idle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X3

Va beach/Newport news mix of military guys. And wanna be thugs, gangbangers. Housing is very cheap affordable and nice in some areas. I would suggest Newport news area look for roommates in the military. My brother in law was in a 6 bedroom house and had a man cave, 2 living rooms, extended master bedrooms and than some. He paid around 300 a month.

Last edited by 335idle; 05-07-2015 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:23 PM   #19
Amuze
No faggotry.
Rep

Quote:
Very cool, going to head down to CHS later this month to check out some places. I'd be looking for someplace where I can walk to attractions (food, shopping, beach?) if possible. I'm excited to see what it has to offer.
King St. downtown is good for shopping and many great places to eat. The Aquarium is a few blocks over on the water off East Bay. It's pretty cool too. Rutledge Cab Co. in downtown has great food and is owned by Bill Murray. You might see him around. West Ashley is on the west side of Charleston and offers cheaper housing, but easy access to everything. Same with John's Island to the south. Shem Creek area is cool too and ideally located. If you want to paddle board or if you surf, make your way over to Odyssey Board Shop of Mill St in Mt Pleasant. There's a good seafood spot behind them on Mill too. Magnolia Gardens is worth checking out this time of year too. Steer clear of gators if you're checking marshy areas out. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. If you see a turtle in the road, try to stop and move it off to the side of the road in the direction he was travelling. It's just what we do down there... lol. Oh, there's historical tours and haunted tours you can take downtown as well if you dig that type of thing. And be prepared for lots of pirate flags.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #20
Amuze
No faggotry.
Rep

And girls. Everywhere...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #21
Amuze
No faggotry.
Rep

Fuck it maybe we should all get a road trip going to Chucktown soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #22
thedza
On the hunt
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB F06 650i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 650i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
+1 Charleston
Appreciate 0