E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

02-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #177
sngencarelli
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

Hey Guys,

I'm slightly confused.. Have been reading a bunch of the bluetooth threads. I've been reading that the ULF option is problematic.. Does anyone know why BMW is listing this as a viable option on the accessories section of the BMWUSA website? BMW ULF Hands Free Phone System w/ Bluetooth PN: 84 21 6 934 961. It says that it cannot be installed with BMW assist. Price is listed as $553.87

I havent talked to my dealer yet, but on their website, the accessory is listed and the online installed price is: $732.48 installed.

Thanks,
Scott
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #178
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

that's for older vehicles like the e46 and e39 vintage per realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #179
sngencarelli
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

Ahh.. That stinks.. They must have it screwed up on the accessories website.. I see that option is not available from '07 and on.. I've got an '06 (production date of 11/05), but I suppose they must be referencing the non-e90 platforms as you mentioned.. It's so odd.. I don't even know the point of the "phone prep" option if it is so prohibitive to retrofit. I think they missed it on this one..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #180
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

well I mean I know the wiring harnesses are the same in terms of format so if the car is prewired for phone this may well work anyway if they have it listed there
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #181
Chris Barber
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325 Convertable

Hi Everyone
I have just come accross this forum while searching for the retro fit BT Kit. I have read through the forum and am a little confused about things. I have a 325 Convertable, 2008 i belive this is a E93. I am looking at getting the retro fit BT only fitted. I am in the uk so i belive i can go to the main dealer and buy a ULF and all the other parts listed in the bmw pdf listed. In the car at the minute i have the sos buttons on the steering wheel but i dont know if the car has the phone prep installed and also with it being the convertable i dont know where the speaker would be located.

I would much appreciate it if someone could point me in the wright direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #182
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Question What Fiber Optic Terminals to use on TCU?

I'm planning on doing this retrofit tomorrow. I've read all the threads and I think I have a good handle on it -- except for one thing. The TCU that I have matches the picture shown on the first page. It has 4 fiber optic ports on it with 'yellow/blue' and 'black/purple' pairs.

I haven't looked in my trunk yet -- but I presume that only one pair (an input fiber and output fiber) will be used. So which pair should be hooked to the cable?

I'm guessing 'yellow/blue' -- but it is just a guess as I haven't seen this mentioned and there is no indication in the BMW .pdf.

Anyone who has done this before -- a response would be gratefully appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #183
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

there will be plugs in the trunk that match those colors on the TCU- then theres also the green MOST cable that has it's own inlet on the other end of the TCU next to the SES jumper spot
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #184
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
there will be plugs in the trunk that match those colors on the TCU- then theres also the green MOST cable that has it's own inlet on the other end of the TCU next to the SES jumper spot
I have the trunk open and I see now that the green MOST cables plug in on the other side. But on the 'colored' side -- do I plug in 4 cables or just one? If only 1 -- which one? (Note the BMW .pdf seems to imply just one).

- andy
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #185
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
I have the trunk open and I see now that the green MOST cables plug in on the other side. But on the 'colored' side -- do I plug in 4 cables or just one? If only 1 -- which one? (Note the BMW .pdf seems to imply just one).

- andy
I looked again. There is a single 'blue' cable and numerous maroon or purple cables. There is also a white cable. So if I need 4 cables hooked to the TCU on the 'facing towards back of car' side, I definitely don't have a complete match. Help! If I had to guess at this point -- I'd try using the single blue cable.

For the benefit of others -- on the MOST junction box, I had 3 'unused' pairs of fiber-optic cables. Using the 'flashlight' trick told me that the pair going to the TCU connector (facing towards the front of the car) was pair '3'. Luckily this was the first pair that I tried.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #186
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:

- andy
Please see this:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TCU_B841405_E9x.pdf (383.4 KB, 1645 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #187
tonyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

There is a LOT of WRONG information in this post that I want to clarify.

1) ANY INFORMATION REGARDING ULF MODULE IN THIS POST IS WRONG! The E90 would not support a ULF Module since it is fiber optic. It has a different 54 pin connector and no fiber optic port. The fiber optic cars use the MULF module M as in "MOST bus" Any references from Bimmernav on ULF modules are NOT APPLICABLE to the E90, as the ULF module is for the older 3 series that is NOT FIBER OPTIC.

2) I have discussed, purchased and installed a E90 bluetooth kit from Bimmernav, which now only supplies the TCU module for the E90. The issue with the German language MULF module that Bimmernav previously offered is detailed below. The MULF does work in the E90, and does work in English however the issue is with the software loads in the BMW North American Coding tools. They do not have the proper path to code the different languages of the MULF module.

3) The issues that were indicated before were due to coding issues with BMW dealers and not Bimmernav issues. For example, previously the BMW coding tool for the MOST BUS cars did not require the SOS button. It was not an issue to install the TCU without the SOS button, however with the software changes that were made a few years back the SOS button was required to complete the coding.

4) No coding is required on the ULF modules, Bimmernav talks about no coding required on the ULF modules and this is 100% accurate. they do not require coding. the E90 however requires coding on making any change. Any change...

I think people are really coming down hard on Bimmernav due to the limitations and coding requirements of the E90 and not because they are selling bad products. Granted some people may have gotten conflicting information from Bimmernav as when the e90 first came out and before BMW released the document on how to retrofit bluetooth, everything was a bit confusing.

I have friends who have installed the MULF module in Australia from Bimmernav and everything was perfect. no issues with coding ect. It was this reason that I decided to give them a shot and now that much of the confusion on the E90 bluetooth system has passed they are on the ball and do know what they are talking about. I did reference this post when talking to them, and one thing is actually funny. there was a reference that Bimmernav made a mistake and sent a TCU instead of a ULF module in one of the post in this thread. I was told that it was not a mistake, although intentional as they were no longer selling the MULF module do to the issues with coding AND they would never have sent a ULF module. As it turns out, they are a bit smarter than some have given credit.

I am a happy customer and my dealer coded my car for free. As a matter of fact, when I told my service advisor I got the module from Bimmernav he said that he had many happy customers who have bought from him especially the older style BMWs and has never heard anything bad about them
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #188
XiaoDeeDeee
Banned
Rep
Drives: e95 399is

Disregarding your recent membership, single post count, shameless bimmernav plugs, and oddly high level of expertise/expansive knowledge on this subject for a mere consumer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
1) ANY INFORMATION REGARDING ULF MODULE IN THIS POST IS WRONG! The E90 would not support a ULF Module since it is fiber optic. It has a different 54 pin connector and no fiber optic port. The fiber optic cars use the MULF module M as in "MOST bus" Any references from Bimmernav on ULF modules are NOT APPLICABLE to the E90, as the ULF module is for the older 3 series that is NOT FIBER OPTIC.
1) Thanks for your clarification; I think everyone on this thread meant MULF instead of ULF. You should PM the OP to make those changes to avoid confusion. In the picture, taken from bimmernav's website at the time, the unit stated "ULF" so I'm sure you can understand. Again, on behalf of e90post, I apologize sincerely for this heinous mistake. Will you ever forgive us?

Quote:
2) I have discussed, purchased and installed a E90 bluetooth kit from Bimmernav, which now only supplies the TCU module for the E90. The issue with the German language MULF module that Bimmernav previously offered is detailed below. The MULF does work in the E90, and does work in English however the issue is with the software loads in the BMW North American Coding tools. They do not have the proper path to code the different languages of the MULF module.
2) Ah. the highly touted and ever mysterious "coding tool" by Martin@bimmernav, that the MULF would work with proper coding. Well, NONE of the e90post members got it working, so even if in theory Martin@bimmernav were correct...it would still be useless if US dealers were unwilling or unable to get it working. Further, if you actually read the thread, there was an instance wherein a member did borrow said tool from Martin@bimmernav and even the vaulted Martin himself was unable to get in working. Granted it was a TCU unit, but I trust my point has been made.

Quote:
3) The issues that were indicated before were due to coding issues with BMW dealers and not Bimmernav issues. For example, previously the BMW coding tool for the MOST BUS cars did not require the SOS button. It was not an issue to install the TCU without the SOS button, however with the software changes that were made a few years back the SOS button was required to complete the coding.
3) Selling a product without updated information is bad business. Bimmernav should have included all of that on its website. The OP had purchased from Bimmernav with success. However, he was assured a ULF module by the sales rep and instead received a TCU unit. Consumer is liable for his own research but because it appeared many bimmernav customers were left high and dry post-sale...OP was encouraged by many to remove any and all positive bimmernav references and links. And since OP did not wish fellow e90post members to detrimentally rely on his positive experience with bimmernav when it indeed seemed so bleak for all others, he agreed and updated the thread accordingly.

Quote:
4) No coding is required on the ULF modules, Bimmernav talks about no coding required on the ULF modules and this is 100% accurate. they do not require coding. the E90 however requires coding on making any change. Any change...

I think people are really coming down hard on Bimmernav due to the limitations and coding requirements of the E90 and not because they are selling bad products. Granted some people may have gotten conflicting information from Bimmernav as when the e90 first came out and before BMW released the document on how to retrofit bluetooth, everything was a bit confusing.

I have friends who have installed the MULF module in Australia from Bimmernav and everything was perfect. no issues with coding ect. It was this reason that I decided to give them a shot and now that much of the confusion on the E90 bluetooth system has passed they are on the ball and do know what they are talking about. I did reference this post when talking to them, and one thing is actually funny. there was a reference that Bimmernav made a mistake and sent a TCU instead of a ULF module in one of the post in this thread. I was told that it was not a mistake, although intentional as they were no longer selling the MULF module do to the issues with coding AND they would never have sent a ULF module. As it turns out, they are a bit smarter than some have given credit.

I am a happy customer and my dealer coded my car for free. As a matter of fact, when I told my service advisor I got the module from Bimmernav he said that he had many happy customers who have bought from him especially the older style BMWs and has never heard anything bad about them
4) One of the great aspects of a public forum is the sharing of experiences: here, the retrofitting of bluetooth on e90s in the United States--not older model BMWs and not in Australia. To this date, there have been 0 documented e90post member* successes with bimmernav's MULF module in the United States. In fact, aside from the OP who had accidentally received a TCU unit, there have been 0 positive experiences with bimmernav period. Surely you can defend bimmernav's authenticity of information and methods all you want, but in the end the consumer wants a working product, the results of which can be easily replicated. In this respect, bimmernav had consistently failed to deliver time and again from 2007 through 2008.

Your being a bimmernav apologist may gain momentum once some established e90post members share positive experiences with bimmernav. You also mentioned MULF success in Australia: if you read the OP, this thread is for US only. It is known the MULF works fine in Europe and almost everywhere else but NA.

Lastly, as you stated, this OP was created in 2007 when Bluetooth Retrofit was extremely uncommon--simply getting the SIB and consequent PDF instructions were laudable feats. The process has since been smoothed and streamlined, despite bimmernav's conflicting information at the time. It is difficult to find much bimmernav support here as they are not a vendor on e90post and thus have no presence, although your clarifications have helped.

Nonetheless the facts are undeniable and aside from the MULF/ULF switch I don't find anything so egregious in the OP as to warrant your statement of: "There is a LOT of WRONG information in this post that I want to clarify." Perhaps, some information may no longer be accurate or prevalent, but wrong? Rather, again, look at the dates of the posts and realize that while things may or may not have changed at bimmernav in the status quo, it was an unreliable company throughout the heyday of this thread (2007-2008) and it's not fair (and a bit rude) for you to come along and judge with fresh 2010, hindsight 20/20 eyes on information gathered and developed by the community over two years ago for the benefit of all members.

Just my 2c as a long time observer of this thread.

*once you become a contributing/verified member of e90post I guess you can be the first.

Last edited by XiaoDeeDeee; 04-11-2010 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #189
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Smile Success!!

Quote:
I looked again. There is a single 'blue' cable and numerous maroon or purple cables. There is also a white cable. So if I need 4 cables hooked to the TCU on the 'facing towards back of car' side, I definitely don't have a complete match. Help! If I had to guess at this point -- I'd try using the single blue cable.

For the benefit of others -- on the MOST junction box, I had 3 'unused' pairs of fiber-optic cables. Using the 'flashlight' trick told me that the pair going to the TCU connector (facing towards the front of the car) was pair '3'. Luckily this was the first pair that I tried.
So I finally got the car into the dealer for programming and everything went smoothly -- so I can confirm that the information given by Jim K. is correct -- connect all 4 cables and match colors. Note that one problem that I had after installing everything -- but before re-coding -- is that I got a sunroof fault, and the sunroof would not open completely nor stop at the right point when closing. I fixed this by pushing and holding the sunroof 'raise' button for about a minute while the roof cycled. This cleared the code and restored proper operation.

My cost for the retrofit was:

$320 for FZD (including Microphone) and TCU. These were purchased used from Jim K. based on an offer in the 'for sale' section of e90post.
$43.98 for TCU bracket and Bluetooth Antenna (new) from Tischer (including shipping)
$250 for 2 hours of labor for recoding at Herb Chambers, Boston

for a total of: $614. Not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #190
jimk
Captain
Rep

Glad to hear it all worked out Andy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #191
grundiggin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi coupe

Does anyone know if this one works?

mObridge bluetooth handsfree/ipod interface for e9x 3-series at EAS.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2147

This package sounds way too good to be true, but the additional benefit of having the ipod adapter integrated (all for a lower price) is awful tempting. i just dont want to shell up that kind of cash, tear into my car, and then in the end, come to find out i should have just listened to what you guys already discovered DOES work.

anyone have any experiance with this one?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #192
E92Vancouver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 E46 & 2007 E92 328

Quote:
So I finally got the car into the dealer for programming and everything went smoothly -- so I can confirm that the information given by Jim K. is correct -- connect all 4 cables and match colors. Note that one problem that I had after installing everything -- but before re-coding -- is that I got a sunroof fault, and the sunroof would not open completely nor stop at the right point when closing. I fixed this by pushing and holding the sunroof 'raise' button for about a minute while the roof cycled. This cleared the code and restored proper operation.

My cost for the retrofit was:

$320 for FZD (including Microphone) and TCU. These were purchased used from Jim K. based on an offer in the 'for sale' section of e90post.
$43.98 for TCU bracket and Bluetooth Antenna (new) from Tischer (including shipping)
$250 for 2 hours of labor for recoding at Herb Chambers, Boston

for a total of: $614. Not too bad.
And how do you like it? I am loving mine!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #193
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundiggin View Post
mObridge bluetooth handsfree/ipod interface for e9x 3-series at EAS.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2147

This package sounds way too good to be true, but the additional benefit of having the ipod adapter integrated (all for a lower price) is awful tempting. i just dont want to shell up that kind of cash, tear into my car, and then in the end, come to find out i should have just listened to what you guys already discovered DOES work.

anyone have any experiance with this one?
It's true - mObridge has performed a good amount of their development in our facility, we've also installed a number of these kits in M3s.

The Bluetooth listing (uses the Parrot database) is enough to warrant the mObridge as a worthy upgrade for those that did not get Bluetooth/Assist at time of ordering.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #194
Danyell
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i 4dr Monaco Blue

Ok, newbie here. Eyes are bloodshot from intently reading 9 pages on installing BT.
Looking at the BMW sheet that lists what's installed on my veh. 08' 328i, yada, yada... Alarm pre-wiring..iPod and USB adapter, multifunc. steering wheel (no Assist, no iDrive).
Last 7 of VIN: NL56777 - appears to have been built 6/2008.
In the trunk I found:
- MULF2 module installed (nobody mentioned the "2" in threads...) with a bunch of numbers on it, including a Bluetooth symbol, SSS in triangle and checkmark with Z725.
- Bunch of fiber cables (18x3, blue/white/black/purple housing) and a bundle of cables wrapped in velcro cloth.
Haven't eyeballed above the pedals yet and was afraid I'd break the area where the mic should be... it's got cloth in there and I can't see thru it.

When I push the phone button on the steering wheel I get "Enter voice command" in English. Nobody mentioned that in the threads either. But eventually shuts off saying something..
Being simplistic here... I'm work with computers, electronics and have rebuild a few engines and such in my time....
One BMW shop tells me my car is incompatible for BT. Another just gave me a TCU PN of 84-10-9-228-937 ($457.19 + $200 core).
So what's this MULF2? is this doable? and what do/don't I need? Just want BT!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #195
jimk
Captain
Rep

MULF2

Danyell,

Your car is BT ready. Here are your options:

1. The MULF2 is what is currently used in your car for USB and iPod connectivity. That same module can be used for BT as long as you find an Autologic shop to code it. Search in this board for known Autologic shops. The dealer won't do it. Your car is pre-wired for BT (option 640 or 644) so you need to combine some pins from that pre-wiring at the MULF2 connector for MIC connectivity. The two attched PDFs should help.

2. Get a TCU and the FZD and code the vehicle at the dealer. As I mentioned before you have all the pre-wiring needed so it's easy

Option 1 should be the least expensive. You only need to pay for coding (maybe $100). Option 2 can get costly...see andy_06xi post above.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW USB Retrofit 1[1].pdf (1.73 MB, 1300 views)
File Type: pdf e82 Bluetooth.pdf (396.3 KB, 2942 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #196
09e90M3
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; MK5 Supra

Andy, out of curiosity why did you have the car recoded at the dealer. I would imagine that because you had a used TCU the bluetooth function should have worked after installation as the TCU had already been pre-programmed. Did you just want BMW Assist active?

Also does anyone know if a used TCU 84.10.9205929 will work in an 06' 330, I did a cross-check with my VIN and realoem and that TCU part number is not listed for my model (probably b/c it's from a newer e90)?

Last edited by 09e90M3; 05-25-2010 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #197
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimz View Post
Andy, out of curiosity why did you have the car recoded at the dealer. I would imagine that because you had a used TCU the bluetooth function should have worked after installation as the TCU had already been pre-programmed. Did you just want BMW Assist active?

Also does anyone know if a used TCU 84.10.9205929 will work in an 06' 330, I did a cross-check with my VIN and realoem and that TCU part number is not listed for my model (probably b/c it's from a newer e90)?

I didn't want BMW assist -- just bluetooth. While I was hoping that simply installing the TCU would give it to me -- no go. I needed to go to the dealer for programming. On the other hand, there were no hiccups in the programming process.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #198
ricepaper
Rep
Drives: 335I 2009

Hi guys,

I've just bought a used 2009 335i but it doesn't come with bluetooth. I think it has the prewiring, but I called 4 dealership and they say they can't install bluetooth in my car?? I emailed bimmernav and they say to order their retrofit kit, but was wonder how I would make it work if the dealership doesn't want to do it or say it's not possible?
I live in Orange county, CA if anyone knows a dealership that would be willing to program it let me know I think I would be ordering the kit if it's doable.

thanks
Appreciate 0