E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Blackline Bulbs

05-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
eee_90
Private
Rep
Drives: soon to be e90

Blackline Bulbs

Hey guys, I've done many searches, so please hear me out.

I just ordered some Blacklines for my e90, (Depo because I think the darker shade will look nice with my SGM).

Question: The ad listed said bulbs were not included in the sale of the taillights. Obviously I can use my stock bulbs, but will it give it a weird looking effect? I remember on my e46 I put the stock bulb in when I bought R/C/R tails, and it looked horrible because the bulb was like this off-white color, and used the amber in the tails to reflect orange. Thus, I had to buy Khoalty silver coated amber bulbs... is it the same on the e90 with blacklines?

Just trying to determine whether I should/need to order bulbs in the meantime while I'm waiting for the new tail lights to arrive...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Just use the normal bulbs with stealth bulbs in the turn signals, to get rid of the egg yolk effect.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
plarkin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eee_90 View Post
Hey guys, I've done many searches, so please hear me out.

I just ordered some Blacklines for my e90, (Depo because I think the darker shade will look nice with my SGM).

Question: The ad listed said bulbs were not included in the sale of the taillights. Obviously I can use my stock bulbs, but will it give it a weird looking effect? I remember on my e46 I put the stock bulb in when I bought R/C/R tails, and it looked horrible because the bulb was like this off-white color, and used the amber in the tails to reflect orange. Thus, I had to buy Khoalty silver coated amber bulbs... is it the same on the e90 with blacklines?

Just trying to determine whether I should/need to order bulbs in the meantime while I'm waiting for the new tail lights to arrive...
The Depo blacklines should come with JUST the taillight assembly and not the bulb housing piece. When I did mine, I removed the bulb housing/frame from the OEM lights and snapped the whole thing onto the Depo's. So you'll basically just use your OEM bulbs on the new tail assembly.
      08-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plarkin View Post
The Depo blacklines should come with JUST the taillight assembly and not the bulb housing piece. When I did mine, I removed the bulb housing/frame from the OEM lights and snapped the whole thing onto the Depo's. So you'll basically just use your OEM bulbs on the new tail assembly.
BUMP! (Instead of starting a new thread)
If i don't mind the egg yolk effect, what bulb should i use to get an amber turn signal?
I am assuming that using the standard bulb from the oem tail lights will mean that i have a white turn signal, which is not legal in california.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
plarkin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
If i don't mind the egg yolk effect, what bulb should i use to get an amber turn signal?
I am assuming that using the standard bulb from the oem tail lights will mean that i have a white turn signal, which is not legal in california.
I didn't have to BUY any bulbs when I put in the blacklines. Forgive the poor memory, but either the blacklines CAME with amber bulbs for me to use or my 08 Pre-LCI 335 had amber bulbs to begin with.
      08-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
DEPO Blacklines come with amber bulbs. You use your OEM bulb holder with the DEPO tails and just replace the turn signal bulb.

The OEM Blacklines come with bulbs/bulb holder, so you just pop those in and you are good.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
PINOY_E90
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

my depo blacklines came with bulbs... however i only used the tailight houseing assembly/cover... i did not replace any bulbs... it looks fine and i know i did not mess any electrical thing on my car
      08-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I reused the stock bulbs with the blacklines but I replaced the turn signal and reverse bulbs with silverstars...didn't want to mess with LEDs but the silverstars are bright white and good enough IMO and they dont stand out in the housing.

The stock bulbs are totally clear so they don't stand out in the housing either but are not that white when lit
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Bump.

Just installed depo blacklines, what bulbs hold I get so I have amber turn signals and not white?