E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Leather Interior - repairs and rejuv

09-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
bindieye
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue

Leather Interior - repairs and rejuv

Hi all,
I have a E90 330i with the beige interior. Would really love some recommendations on good coach workers or companies that could help clean and rejuvenate the front seats. They're getting a bit worn/grubby.
Also, the grab handle on the driver's side is scratched and almost back to plastic! Is it possible to buy this piece and replace, or am i looking at some kind of dodgy acrylic paint job?
thanks for any advice.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

HI i got mine replaced under warranty. had the same issue. you cant really stop it just peel it off so the plastic is visible only.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350 F Sport

unfortunately you can;t buy just the plastic bit that is peeling as it is inbuilt into the handle. the handle itself can easily be purchased online (eg.: schmiedmann.com or bmminiparts.com, ebay, etc) for $100-400.

I was lucky enough to buy the whole handle assembly (new) for $130 delivered from bmminiparts as they had one in stock. I think ordering one out of stock will be a fair bit more expensive.

The replacement is pretty straight forward: pull off the trim strip, undo three door handle bolts, remove the entire door trim piece, replace the handle, re-assemble.

Another option is to carefully (with a credit card/plastic knife) to peel off the remainder of plastic paint. Thats what I did initially but it never looked 100% so thats why I went to trouble of replacing the whole door handle assembly.

I am afraid you can;t fix it by painting either - the paint is a special soft/resin type that I could not find anywhere.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
gcbm
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0i, e82 135i

As an alternative you can get an aftermarket chrome / satin cover for under $40, see http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220726144692.
It attaches with 3m tape (fixed to covers) though I did not use the supplied primer as it will etch the plastic. The window switch surrounds did not seem to fit as well but I think the switch needs to be removed before fitting. If you are interested I can post some photos.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

i can't comment on the quality but looks like it would have a similar finish to the oem aluminium checker style
Appreciate 0