E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Experts Opinions

01-04-2024, 02:55 PM   #1
BlazeBaillie
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90

Need Experts Opinions

I drive a 2009 Bmw 328i the other day I went over a pothole going roughly 46kmh (speed limit is 50kmh) anyway right after hitting the pothole on my drivers side my car received a “Engine Malfunction” which I’ve heard is limp mode along with the following codes P105B, P0172, P1561, P0171. I towed it to my house and it’s sitting there right now, I disconnected the battery for a night hoping maybe it was just a fluke and it’ll be fine when I try it again obviously I wasn’t that lucky but what I noticed when I reconnected the battery and left it connected for another day all the sudden my car was dead so I think there is a short or a power draw I’m hoping maybe there is a ground I knocked loose or maybe a connector or something on the drivers side that maybe could’ve got disconnected any hints are welcome
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 02:58 PM   #2
BlazeBaillie
Registered
Rep

Forgot to mention car did start when I towed it home and it went into gear and everything just fine so I’m sure it’s not engine or transmission issues thinking it’s sensor/electrical
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 06:03 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

You don't say WHEN/IF the Starter would NOT crank the engine.
You don't say if you read System Voltage (using DMM) at Jumpstart Terminals under hood, and/or at battery posts in boot.
You don't say if your Scan Tool can display Freeze Frame Data (particularly system voltage) for any of the 4 P-codes you list.

ALL that data would allow preliminary diagnosis. You appear to have a loose connection in:
1) Battery Terminal(s);
2) RPDP (Rear Power Distribution Panel) connection to B+ Battery Terminal;
3) Corroded "Transfer Point(s) in front of bottom of battery well;
4) Loose/ failing Ground Strap at Starter to Chassis.

To Diagnose the issue, we need DATA as suggested above. Please ask questions if NOT clear.
George
      01-05-2024, 12:01 AM   #4
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

OP, secure all electrical components including strap under car,
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 05:31 PM   #5
BlazeBaillie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
You don't say WHEN/IF the Starter would NOT crank the engine.
You don't say if you read System Voltage (using DMM) at Jumpstart Terminals under hood, and/or at battery posts in boot.
You don't say if your Scan Tool can display Freeze Frame Data (particularly system voltage) for any of the 4 P-codes you list.

ALL that data would allow preliminary diagnosis. You appear to have a loose connection in:
1) Battery Terminal(s);
2) RPDP (Rear Power Distribution Panel) connection to B+ Battery Terminal;
3) Corroded "Transfer Point(s) in front of bottom of battery well;
4) Loose/ failing Ground Strap at Starter to Chassis.

To Diagnose the issue, we need DATA as suggested above. Please ask questions if NOT clear.
George
George I owe yah a big thank you there was a wire loose idk what it’s called but i can describe it as a big red wire the plugs into the power distribution box on top of the battery it must’ve come undone when I went over the pothole your information helped a lot I’m not a mechanic by any means and don’t know bmws well at all so sorry for my lack of information
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 11:57 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeBaillie View Post
... there was a wire loose idk what it’s called but i can describe it as a big red wire the plugs into the
power distribution box on top of the battery it must’ve come undone when I went over the pothole...
Something EVERY E9x owner should take the time to understand:
The Rear Power Distribution Panel (RPDP) on top of the battery, and what B+ (Red) wires go WHERE:
See attached photo of my 3/2007 build 328xi E91 RPDP. I assume you had one of two "Inboard" Red wires loose?
Glad you got it fixed.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 12:10 AM   #7
BlazeBaillie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Something EVERY E9x owner should take the time to understand:
The Rear Power Distribution Panel (RPDP) on top of the battery, and what B+ (Red) wires go WHERE:
See attached photo of my 3/2007 build 328xi E91 RPDP. I assume you had one of two "Inboard" Red wires loose?
Glad you got it fixed.
George
Yes was the B+ to VVT relay not “loose” but came unplugged
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 03:20 AM   #8
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Something every E9X owner should invest in is a good scanner. I don't know how I feel about Carly but my old SCH14020 has been a champ. Just tells me what is wrong. I even caught my battery before it died on me because I check the systems with it periodically.

Even upgraded recently which was really easy (and added another make support). Kind of funny I think the other make had about 10 OBD subsystems when a year later BMW has 36 or more OBD systems to scan through.

I can do quick scans and specific modules, some bi-directional testing, code clearing and component information / graphing. It's been indispensable honestly.
Appreciate 0