E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Leaning toward 33d, some basic questions.

08-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Leaning toward 33d, some basic questions.

Since I'm really leaning toward a used 335d i need to make a list of things that are a must but have more questions than I can find answers for.

What tuning options are there for US spec cars, that don't include check engine lights or any other minor issues?

Do any of the tunes them help with bypassing any of the emissions?

Will any of the tunes help gas mileage on the highway (when not getting on it)?

Carbon build up - is this strictly due to injector failures? Do any of the tunes help with this? Will running diesel intake cleaners fix this if it's not bad or is it like the N54 where you clean it and then run cleaners just to keep carbon from coming back.

Are any of the emissions pieces problematic if so can they be removed/bypassed?

What can be done to increase fuel mileage? Tune, Intercooler, drop in filter?

Anywhere to get a reasonable power train warranty? I chose not to get a warranty for my 135i after the factory was up and I thought it was a safe gamble as I'd have to replace a lot of parts to account for the 2200 they quoted me for an extended warranty. BTW I would do most of the work myself if I could.

Sorry for all the questions but if I get a 335d it would be pushing my budget as I don't want to pull from my budget for fixing up the 135.

Thanks,
Bruce
      08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Brusk I will answer as my knowledge is limited and many other amigos might give u a better insight:responses as follows in same manner questioned

1. JB(piggyback, sometimes might throw codes at the begining until it adapts, cheapest route), Flash a la RENNtech or evolve, more expensive but well worht it, draw back you hv to send it out to be programmed

2. None of the tunes will BYPASS emissions its ilegal, i believe evolve has something, I know RENNtech has a DPF delete but NO ONE has come forward to be a Guinea Pig, I would but i live in Puerto Rico.

3. As mpg's you will lose some BECAUSE you will be SPEEDING LOL ok ok all jokes aside , I believe you will gain on long hauls i certainly did with my RENNtech i cant attest for JB or Evolve maybe the guys can say soemthing. Also, a tune with a better IC ala WAGNER or Cx Racing WILL IMPROVE Hwy MPGS just ask Turbo eddie he has made his own Piggyback and added a Cx Racing IC and he is getting from 45-47 mpg at 75 mph

4. the DREADED carbon build up issues can be seen on other post there are certain factors and there can be some ways to combat this by using additives(which has not been proven) or using Piggy back or flash(im not a techie ask the other guys on this ok)

5. Unfortunately the emission are OUR Aquile's tendon and cannot be bypassed or changed unless the ECU has been broken in since it is encrypted!! so were FAULKED on this unless someone ahs done it here i beleive the guys in Europe have so but only a few here

6. As far as im concerned the CPO would be a best choice, i have owned cars for over half my life and never had tranny issues just make sure its taken car off periodically.

I hope this gives you an insight on our BEAST, anyone else is welcomed to correct me if Im wrong on certain issues and help assist our new DIESEL Brother!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Good advice from Puerto Rico.

Injectors seem to have nothing to do with our carbon buildup problem (I'm at 70K and have never had problems, as are many others.) Some people are definitely having problems, and they almost certainly are caused by the EGR, and "driving regimes": people doing lots of road and/or high speed are apparently not having nearly as many problems as people driving in city/suburban traffic.

Our DDE (fancy name for ECU for diesels) are a brand-new, are encrypted and monitor virtually everything. Look around for "AdvancedDiesel with BluePerformance" pdf and read up on all the emissions controls. The EU people (until this year) have had older DDE's and little or no monitoring of the controls so they've been able to do DPF, SCR, EGR deletes with no programming.

The recall from 2 years ago seems to have improved all these, as it did a re-programming, changed out many EGR and SCR things. It's not clear that DPF delete will increase power or mileage. There's some evidence that EGR delete may do so, but there's no easy way to do that without programming. Note that all the shops in the US no longer sell stuff do do emissions-control mods, as the EPA has really cracked down on that.

CPO or BMW 6/100K is definitely the way to go. Check with Daniel @ Pacific BMW for good prices.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep

That's for the help guys. I went and drove a 2010 with 52K miles and I was quite surprised how much nicer it was than my 135i and even the 335i's I drove before I bought the 1. The European auto place I drove the car at had a few warranty brochures onsite so I'll check them out and Pacific BMW.

As for emissions and being illegal luckily I live in TX and if I move it will be to TN where they don't have any inspections or anything for diesels so maybe I can look into something. Any chance that a euro company could reto fit an older DDE and program it up for our cars or would that take the car being in Europe to do or the programmer being in the US to pull off. Not that the emissions are a major concern other than they are eventually going to fail, cost money and consume extra power and fuel.
      08-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
I went and drove a 2010 with 52K miles and I was quite surprised how much nicer it was than my 135i and even the 335i's I drove before I bought the 1.
Nicer as in interior or performance wise?
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
Nicer as in interior or performance wise?
Overall smoothness of the ride, it was quieter and it had quite a few options I've never seen on the other models I drove. Like the power rear visor and park assist radar thing. It was nice performance wise but that wouldn't be a fair comparison on the 135.
      08-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

There you go my friends your begining to like the guy make sure you get a CPO
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
My 2011 will be up for sale in a couple weeks, I'm trading it for one with an M Sport version. To my knowledge it's CPO but its only been mine for about a month and I haven't taken it to the dealer.
      08-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
I have 2011 M Sport for sale. 39k miles.
Appreciate 0