Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus vs Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black Sports pkg

Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus vs Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S

Both on my short list now.

Pirelli will be $60 less then Michelin.

winner will be which has

1) Less noisy and comfort ride
2) more tread wear (setup is staggered)
3) over all looks.

looks like both have almost same snow and wet characters but Dry and Gripping Michelin are better. Pirelli might be slight less noisy..

got to pulled the plug by tomorrow..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I know until feb 2nd. Michelin is having a $70 debit card mailed to you if you buy 4 tires by then.
      01-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

How you collect $70 Rebate if buying Online and the Seller is not mentioning of any Rebate.

Costco Offer me Michelin $929 Out of Door price and thats include the $70 rebate.
Online I can get Michelin for $716 plus Shipping then $100 for Installation by BMW Auto Shop.
Discount Tires giving me Pirelli for $844 OOD.. like tomorrow.
Tire Rack have Pirelli for $670 and Michelin for $850 Plus shipping of $50.

Tough choice
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Recent tests by tirerack rated the Pirelli better...the michelin is due to be replaced by a newer model soon.

If I was committed to getting an all-season I would get the Bridgestone 970AS...I had them on my Infiniti and they were awesome for the first 5k miles til I sold the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 Escalade, '07 530 xiT

Haven't read too many good reviews of the Michelin A/S tires. I'd go either Pirelli or Conti DSW if you need tires ASAP
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Haven't read too many good reviews of the Michelin A/S tires. I'd go either Pirelli or Conti DSW if you need tires ASAP

Currently have DWS and they were good till 20k after that real noisy front got choppy and rear almost 3/32
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I used to have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my STI. They were great at first but then developed terrible road noise. It sounded like bad wheel bearings, such that I replaced the bearings unnecessarily. Tires had lots of meat left so I thought it was something else. Road noise forced me to sell car.

After selling the car I found out it was the tires, and that Michelin had a secret recall. They would refund if you complained. Too late for that.

I used to have a WRX with PZero Nero summer tires and liked them. Grippy, not too quiet, not too noisy, good looking. These might be my next tire.

My OEM run flats were hydroplaning like crazy today. Have never had a tire do this to me. With 28k miles on them, I guess its time to think about replacing them.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I agree with these Tires and Staggered setup they get very noisy after 20K, dosent matter what you choose, DWS or Pilot A/S or Pzero, i read tons of reviews and thats all they complain that after 15k-25k they get noisy and even peeling rubber.

First I thought its the wheel bearing, took to the Dealer, he looks at it and told me he saw 2 front Bearing issue, he replace the Bearing under warranty for free, but the tire noise stay, then he told me its your Front tires and they are not even if you run your fingers on them so he tell me to take it back to the Tire shop who sell you the Tires.
I order Online (DWS) through our sponsor so not much I can do now, tread left on them 5/32. and I already put ~35K on them but noise started around 25K..

So i guess no easy way out if we using staggered setup its going to happend after 25K..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
How you collect $70 Rebate if buying Online and the Seller is not mentioning of any Rebate.

Costco Offer me Michelin $929 Out of Door price and thats include the $70 rebate.
Online I can get Michelin for $716 plus Shipping then $100 for Installation by BMW Auto Shop.
Discount Tires giving me Pirelli for $844 OOD.. like tomorrow.
Tire Rack have Pirelli for $670 and Michelin for $850 Plus shipping of $50.

Tough choice
Not sure about online, but I know in the store there is a form you fill out and mail it to them, as long as the purchase date for the tires isn't past the 2nd.

I was about to go with some Michelin PS+ as well, but after reading some more, the Pirelli's seem more appetizing.

My options are Michelin squared for $850 after tax/installed, or guesstimate calc'd Pirelli's for $700 installed after tax.
      01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am going with Pirelli now, $818 installed..

Pirelli are less noisy but Michelin are better for Hard Grip but too much noise after 15K..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Ok...

Let us know how they work out.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok got the Perillis Zero Nero A/s installed.

All noise gone, Stopping and sudden acceleration is very good, lane change good, good road grip and handling. Drove in very cold temp 8 degrees.
put 38psi all 4 Tires.
Still have to Test cornering, Wet Roads and Snow/ICE driving.

The looks on the Wheels are not as good as DWS and Michelin. -1.

Real Review will come after 15K.

Now looking for 18mm Spacers to go on the Rear Wheels.
      02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Thank you for posting your experience with the tires on the forum!

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Did some driving yesterday and today in 1-4 inch of snow, slush, and wet cold roads.
Tires are handling very fine so I am pretty sure they will carry the Chicago winter for atleast 2 seasons. Still NO road noise very quiet and smooth and thats what my goal was to have a Tire which can survive occasional Snow and Wintery conditions and stay Quiet on Dry Winter days.

I normally put 18k per year so expecting 36-40k from these tires but will see after 15-20k how they holding on.
      02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
naterater
BMW & Michelin Brand Ambassador
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
Recent tests by tirerack rated the Pirelli better...the michelin is due to be replaced by a newer model soon.

If I was committed to getting an all-season I would get the Bridgestone 970AS...I had them on my Infiniti and they were awesome for the first 5k miles til I sold the car.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S will be replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (PSAS3) which is an AMAZING all-season tire! Here is a quote from the BMW Blog:
"These Michelins are not intended as track tires, though you’d have me fooled through an autocross. To call them all-seasons almost seems disingenuous – they are just too good at everything: it seems to defy the category, which normally is mediocre at everything and good at nothing. In short, these are all-seasons that perform like summer performance tires yet can bring you safely home through light snow and slush."
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Bajre
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
Ok got the Perillis Zero Nero A/s installed.

All noise gone, Stopping and sudden acceleration is very good, lane change good, good road grip and handling. Drove in very cold temp 8 degrees.
put 38psi all 4 Tires.
Still have to Test cornering, Wet Roads and Snow/ICE driving.

The looks on the Wheels are not as good as DWS and Michelin. -1.

Real Review will come after 15K.

Now looking for 18mm Spacers to go on the Rear Wheels.
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus about 3 weeks ago ($845 out the door) and waiting for the $70 MIR. Really nice tires. I had the same experience, suddenly the car runs faster. I had the original RFT and I got 22K out of it. After the new tires, I felt like the old ones were just hesitating to run, while this one was just rolling. So my damage $775 I think was a good deal.

Other tire I had looked were Conti DW.