E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Should I buy New or CPO?

08-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Question Should I buy New or CPO?

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here, been reading lots of posts. I'm planning to buy a 330i and I'm wondering whether to go NEW or CPO.

I'm set on the following:
  • 330i Arctic Metallic / Gray Leather / Burl Walnut Wood Trim
  • Pkgs: Premium, Sports
  • Sport Package
  • STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
  • Park Distance Control (rear)
  • Comfort Access
  • On-Board Navigation System w/iDrive
  • Rear Deck Spoiler
  • MSRP: $46,060
  • Edmunds.com TMV (w/o Spoiler): $43,302
  • Edmunds.com Invoice (w/o Spoiler): $41,870 (spoiler is $365 MSRP)

Now, going NEW I get to choose exactly what I want. Going CPO, I may not find exactly everything I want and Arctic is a harder color to find according to my buddy that works at the dealer.

Of course with CPO I'd get the extended warranty (6 yr / 100K miles) included for free and a lower price than if I got it new. Also, I doubt I'd find a CPO with a spoiler, but that's ok, I can always add it later. Also, CA may not be available. I commute to work and estimate I drive 15K miles annually, so the ext. warranty sure does sound nice.

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should go new/CPO? Pros, cons? I'm not gonna die to have that "new car" smell/feeling but I also wonder, with CPO, how the past owner drove the car... didn't break it in properly? Abused the heck out of it? And since it's the end of the year, how much mileage they'd have on it by the time I get one, which takes from the warranty.

If I go new at this time of year, would I get a better deal since the 07's are coming up? Can anyone suggest a reasonable price I should negotiate to for new/CPO, considering the prices listed above?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
What to do...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaneer
Hey Everyone,

I'm new here, been reading lots of posts. I'm planning to buy a 330i and I'm wondering whether to go NEW or CPO.

I'm set on the following:
  • 330i Arctic Metallic / Gray Leather / Burl Walnut Wood Trim
  • Pkgs: Premium, Sports
  • Sport Package
  • STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
  • Park Distance Control (rear)
  • Comfort Access
  • On-Board Navigation System w/iDrive
  • Rear Deck Spoiler
  • MSRP: $46,060
  • Edmunds.com TMV (w/o Spoiler): $43,302
  • Edmunds.com Invoice (w/o Spoiler): $41,870 (spoiler is $365 MSRP)

Now, going NEW I get to choose exactly what I want. Going CPO, I may not find exactly everything I want and Arctic is a harder color to find according to my buddy that works at the dealer.

Of course with CPO I'd get the extended warranty (6 yr / 100K miles) included for free and a lower price than if I got it new. Also, I doubt I'd find a CPO with a spoiler, but that's ok, I can always add it later. Also, CA may not be available. I commute to work and estimate I drive 15K miles annually, so the ext. warranty sure does sound nice.

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should go new/CPO? Pros, cons? I'm not gonna die to have that "new car" smell/feeling but I also wonder, with CPO, how the past owner drove the car... didn't break it in properly? Abused the heck out of it? And since it's the end of the year, how much mileage they'd have on it by the time I get one, which takes from the warranty.

If I go new at this time of year, would I get a better deal since the 07's are coming up? Can anyone suggest a reasonable price I should negotiate to for new/CPO, considering the prices listed above?

Thanks!
My friend, you have MANY options. 1st, is money a concern? If not, I would highly recommend trying to get a new car (330i) since the introduction of the 07's are right around the corner. There may not be a huge inventory of 330i's available, but I'm sure they will have something exactly or close to what you are lQQking for. In my opinion, you are in the driver's seat:rocks: I personally chose to buy a brand new car as opposses to a CPO for several reasons.
1) Buying new gives you that peace of mind that noone else has owned the car.
2) The smell of a new car. Can you get enough of it?

Shop around and keep in mind that although BMW's are not free or cheap. It's close to the end of the year so and dealerships want to sell the 06's to introduce the highly anticipated 07's Let me know what you decide................
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z MT, 06 330i

Well, I'm pretty sure you can't order a 330i anymore. I was told that there were two more in the build stage that I could have altered when I ended up getting mine (two weeks ago). Those two were the last scheduled for production. Whether or not I was fed a line of B.S. - I have no idea - but I did hear the same thing from two separate dealerships. I've also seen some posts here about dealers telling potential customers that they can no longer order the 330i, and that they'd have to order the new 328i or 335i instead.

That said, if you're absolutely stuck on those options, you may want to go to a stealership and have them do a search. That's what I did, one was just about finished, and it had every option I wanted - but had sat prep and the interior trim wasn't the one I'd opted for, but I realized that wasn't a dealbreaker. I think I got a great deal as well.

Might want to check, but like I said, I don't think you can order it anymore. If you have a few grand more to spare, maybe go for the 335i. Otherwise, have the dealer do a search of what's out there (new) around the country.

My .02, since I just went through this... hope they help.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
BMWoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z MT, 06 330i

Oh yeah, two more things - you'll find your options quite limited because of iDrive - I had the same problem. Some saleswoman told me that 1% of all 3 series had it, which I found hard to believe, but whatever. Also, the rear spoiler can always be added on, so take that out of your initial requirements.

p.s. MAN, I wish I would have got comfort access...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm going to visit the dealership tonight and have them start searching and see what my options are. $$$ isn't that bad of an issue, but I certainly would like to be around ~ $47K out the door, incl. taxes etc. I think I could manage that after negotiating.

And thanks for the production info... if I can't get a new one built I hope an existing one is close, and I can get a good deal... I might have to look into the '07s but I wanted to benefit from a lower '06 price rather than shell out more for new '07 prices! Though that turbo sounds nice Or is that just in the Coupe? I might be a little confuzzled, I'll ask about it tonight!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
United_States
Rep

Well, I was told I can no longer order new '06 models Their's actually an Arctic 330i on its way, but it's lacking Navi and PDC... PDC I could live w/o but I want Navi, and not after market!

So I'm waiting to hear back from them on what's available for CPO that's close to what I want. From there I'll decide on that, if available, or put an order in for an '07 335i

Oddly, I felt kinda bummed out when I found out I couldn't order new, which surprised me. Perhaps that's an indication that I'm leaning more towards new

Time will tell!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Have you tried calling or searching Cali dealers since there are tons of E90's on the lot?