E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ALL E92/E93's with ACTIVE STEERING and Coilovers! COME IN!!!!

05-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
O HELLA BMW
I <3 My E93
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12” 335is vert

ALL E92/E93's with ACTIVE STEERING and Coilovers! COME IN!!!!

hey everyone, i have a 2008 335I E93 with active steering. i purchased a brand new set of KW V2 coilovers and will be getting them installed soon. My question is after i get the coilovers installed and let them settle for a week or two. im hearing that i need to go to a bmw dealership to get it aligned properly? meaning they have to use special equipment most indy shops wont have.. is this true?

any feedback is appreciated!!
      05-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Suscribed. I need to know too.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
O HELLA BMW
I <3 My E93
United_States
Rep

i know someone has to have answers lol
      05-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hi,

Your car will need to be realigned immediately after the coilover install. That has nothing to do with active steering (which I have on my car).

However it's not necessary to have the suspension aligned one more time after the suspension has settled a few mms.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O HELLA BMW View Post
hey everyone, i have a 2008 335I E93 with active steering. i purchased a brand new set of KW V2 coilovers and will be getting them installed soon. My question is after i get the coilovers installed and let them settle for a week or two. im hearing that i need to go to a bmw dealership to get it aligned properly? meaning they have to use special equipment most indy shops wont have.. is this true?

The alignment is one thing - any competent suspension shop can do that and it should of course be done after installing a completely new suspension.

However, the second question is whether the lowering of the car due to the coilover has put the steering wheel sensor out of whack (which is not particular to active steering). That happened to me and some others here on the forum - that means that after the install and upon firing up the car again, all traction control, power steering, active steering and ABS will not be working and you get a whole christmas tree of warning lights on the dashboard and the nav screen. The only remedy (to my knowledge) to that is to have a BMW dealer recalibrate this sensor (costs a couple hundred EUR).

However, this does not happen systematically so you may be lucky and won't have to do that, if the lowering of the car is still within the tolerances of the steering wheel sensor.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      05-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
domrep
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

Definitely don't need to get an alignment from BMW. ^sensors is another story like Alpina said, but it's pretty rare that it will happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
dyezak
General of the Armies
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

I would actually advise against going to any dealer EVER for any alignment. The reason is that dealers do an "In the green..." alignment. What that means is that they put the car into factory specs which includes alignment slop. So on an e92 for example the front camber has a factory spec of +.25deg down to -.25deg of camber. A sloppy dealer could give your car back with camber being missmatched by up to .5deg. Since it's still within factory parameters it's a "good" alignment.

Second, dynamic weight has a major effect on your alignment. I went to get my last car aligned after my new suspension went on it and the shop I took it to was kind enough to show me this on their Hunter Laser alignment system. They set the car on the rack, hooked everything up, and showed the current alignment on the screen. They then gave me a 5lb weight to go sit on my driver's seat and come back and look at the screen. Camber and Castor both changed...FROM 5lbs!!

So they had me sit in the car during my alignment so my weight was taken into consideration, they also had me bring the car in with exactly 1/2 tank of gas too for this reason. Then after 1.5hr on the rack I had a perfect alignment, no slop on any measurement and accounting for my weight.

I got out of the car, and my 170lb self leaving the driver's seat caused the alignment to change +1.1deg of camber on the front left and -.6deg camber on the front right.

Go to a real alignment shop...they will do it right.

Last edited by dyezak; 05-27-2011 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
O HELLA BMW
I <3 My E93
United_States
Rep

Crap now I'm rethinking if I want install my coils!!!
      05-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
dyezak
General of the Armies
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Crap now I'm rethinking if I want install my coils!!!
Why? Just get it aligned after the install.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
O HELLA BMW
I <3 My E93
United_States
Rep

bump
      05-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
ShyGuy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Does active steering need to be reset after alignment? When I lowered my car, prior to alignment the steering was actually pretty tight and solid. However after doing the alignment, steering input seems to be delayed. During high speed corners the car is very floaty and there is a delay before the car reacts to my steering inputs.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyezak View Post
I would actually advise against going to any dealer EVER for any alignment. The reason is that dealers do an "In the green..." alignment. What that means is that they put the car into factory specs which includes alignment slop. So on an e92 for example the front camber has a factory spec of +.25deg down to -.25deg of camber. A sloppy dealer could give your car back with camber being missmatched by up to .5deg. Since it's still within factory parameters it's a "good" alignment.

Second, dynamic weight has a major effect on your alignment. I went to get my last car aligned after my new suspension went on it and the shop I took it to was kind enough to show me this on their Hunter Laser alignment system. They set the car on the rack, hooked everything up, and showed the current alignment on the screen. They then gave me a 5lb weight to go sit on my driver's seat and come back and look at the screen. Camber and Castor both changed...FROM 5lbs!!

So they had me sit in the car during my alignment so my weight was taken into consideration, they also had me bring the car in with exactly 1/2 tank of gas too for this reason. Then after 1.5hr on the rack I had a perfect alignment, no slop on any measurement and accounting for my weight.

I got out of the car, and my 170lb self leaving the driver's seat caused the alignment to change +1.1deg of camber on the front left and -.6deg camber on the front right.

Go to a real alignment shop...they will do it right.
I have never seen more than .2* change upon adding weight to any car. Typically on a right hand drive car there will be a .1* increase in neg camber on the right front and .1* decrease in neg camber on the left. The rear is often unaffected. If your car changed 1.1* something is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Dinan_Bimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

PerBMW:

On cars with active steering (AFS) the steering angle sensors must be aligned using the BMW diagnostic
system via the service function (SBT)
has to be done.
2009 CTS-V "Eleanor's worst nightmare" Crystal Red w/ Lt Platinum
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
Does active steering need to be reset after alignment? When I lowered my car, prior to alignment the steering was actually pretty tight and solid. However after doing the alignment, steering input seems to be delayed. During high speed corners the car is very floaty and there is a delay before the car reacts to my steering inputs.
Bumping this.
Wondering if anyone with active steering has had their car aligned at an indy shop without issues?
Can active steering be reinitialized/reset with INPA?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
blacknbean
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Bumping this.
Wondering if anyone with active steering has had their car aligned at an indy shop without issues?
Can active steering be reinitialized/reset with INPA?
havent had my active steering done at a non dealer yet, but INPA can reset/reinitialize the sensor setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Projekt_BooGie
Average Car Exceeding Expectations (ACEE)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [7.00]
I was told, by the bmw tech, the AFS automatically adjust once you lower or raise the vehicle. The movement of your headlights is determined by the steering angle sensor. So any COMPETANT shop can do your alignment, there is nothing that have to be reset.

too much to list...just know its wide and bagged
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
MrRager
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Bimmer View Post
PerBMW:

On cars with active steering (AFS) the steering angle sensors must be aligned using the BMW diagnostic
system via the service function (SBT)
has to be done.
if you think BMW dealerships do this for every alignment they do your smoking. trust me, i used to be a bmw tech. only time you reset the steering angle sensor is if you replace it or the car loses the center point and throws a light for it
      06-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
if you think BMW dealerships do this for every alignment they do your smoking. trust me, i used to be a bmw tech. only time you reset the steering angle sensor is if you replace it or the car loses the center point and throws a light for it
Some have also reported to they were able to get rid of the codes/lights by turning the wheel lock to lock several times.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Really ? .................
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
MrRager
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Some have also reported to they were able to get rid of the codes/lights by turning the wheel lock to lock several times.
this is true. but it doesnt always work that way