E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > From E90 320D SE to E92 335D SE

01-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

From E90 320D SE to E92 335D SE

I'll keep this short and sweet as i'm starving (eaten just one sandwich today!) and I just want to go back out and drive and burn all the diesel in the car.

OH MY F***ING DAYS!!!!!!......Those were the words that left my mouth when i switched to DS mode and put my foot down. The car just accelerated so quickly, and the noise! It sounded beautiful! The car is just so flat around the corners and not sure if this is psychological but it felt more grippy than my 320D, which had Eagle F1 A2s (NRFTs) and this has bridgestone RFTS. I just want to drive and drive and drive....

Sorry for the bad quality pictures, i only had my iphone and i was freezing. The car is Sparkling Graphite with Coral Red interior. Done 36k full BMW service history and 2 years warranty from today.

So here are the pics, starting with my 320D looking upset at being locked in. Going to miss her, had some good times

The new wheels:

Wish i took more pics of the interior:

Future mods i have in mind are:

Black grills
Black window trim (maybe plastidip?)
Replace RFTs with Conti 5ps (even though it seems really good im sure the handling will improve with this switch)
Install the M3 paddle shifters i bought on here
Wrap interior metal trim, maybe carbon black or red?
Get some nice looking brake discs when they become due
Window tint
Exhaust tips maybe

I'm sure there are other mods i could do but at the moment i want to keep it simple (and cheap!), and in time will spend more money on it im sure

Would love to have your input and recommendations as to what i can do relatively cheaply, and of course your first impressions.

Ah i can't wait to go back out in it!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Oh my word, she is a beauty great colour combination, gorgeous wheels, low miles too, congrats on a superb buy Mob.....
      01-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Congrats mate, great colour combo!!
      01-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Very nice colour combo was something I was on the lookout for when searching for my 335i, sadly nothing showed up for me.

Re ditching the RFL's for Conti 5's first thing I done I run the standards Bridgestone RFL's for around 3 weeks before replacing them, immediate improvement in ride(more compliant, less kick back in the steering, better over speed bumps and potholes), handling especially when cornering on uneven surfaces is in a different league and in terms of daily driving youll notice its more refined re road noise as well.

Re the steering wheel changing the paddle setup for the later spec is so worth while, I changed mine as I couldn't quite work out the logic of he push/pull set up adopted by BMW but opted to remove the std SE spec wheel and got anM3 wheel instead and it's soooooo nice nada very worth while mod rather than just changing the paddles(if this can be done on the std SE steering wheel)as I never actually bothered to find out as the thicker M3 rim or if it come to it a Sport spec steering wheel was always my only option.

And finally re wrapping the interior trim something that is on" my to do list " too
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
av_guy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335D MSport Space Grey

Really nice car, colour and specification.

I am sure you will notice both performance and handling for the better immediately.

Suggestions:
LCI rear lights (may require some coding)
M Sport bumpers, fog lights and side skirts
De-badge rear

Although in times like now, economy of a 320D would be very appealing, you'll let this worry you less when going forward with the grunt of your new machine.

Vik
E90 LCI 335D MSport|Space Grey|Sunroof|Visibility|F&R Sensors|Leccy Fold Ext Dim Int & Ext Mirrors|Media Pack Pro|Voice & USB|DAB & DVB|HK L7|Black Leather|Leccy Seats|Lumbar & Heat|Type 313 19" Performance Pack Wheels|Trackstar|Protect & Care|Service Inclusive
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Lovely looking motor mate. Great colour combo.
Be careful out there in this weather tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Lovely motor mate.
Welcome to gangsta club (coupe club).
Nice and subtle mods.
I am more interested in IB install part 2.
      01-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
Oh my word, she is a beauty great colour combination, gorgeous wheels, low miles too, congrats on a superb buy Mob.....
Thanks

I was thinking to myself about 2-3 weeks ago, i'd love to just get a 335D. Saw this one and my heart instantly fell in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Congrats mate, great colour combo!!
Thanks. I still can't believe i have it! Planning to buy some leatherique to treat the leather. Its lovely but i'm sure will be even better after treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Very nice colour combo was something I was on the lookout for when searching for my 335i, sadly nothing showed up for me.

Re ditching the RFL's for Conti 5's first thing I done I run the standards Bridgestone RFL's for around 3 weeks before replacing them, immediate improvement in ride(more compliant, less kick back in the steering, better over speed bumps and potholes), handling especially when cornering on uneven surfaces is in a different league and in terms of daily driving youll notice its more refined re road noise as well.

Re the steering wheel changing the paddle setup for the later spec is so worth while, I changed mine as I couldn't quite work out the logic of he push/pull set up adopted by BMW but opted to remove the std SE spec wheel and got anM3 wheel instead and it's soooooo nice nada very worth while mod rather than just changing the paddles(if this can be done on the std SE steering wheel)as I never actually bothered to find out as the thicker M3 rim or if it come to it a Sport spec steering wheel was always my only option.

And finally re wrapping the interior trim something that is on" my to do list " too
Thanks.

Yes i want to sell the Bridgestone RFTs asap and get the contis! Heard a lot of good things about them from others and now you!

I kind of like this steering wheel. It feels concave compared to my old one. And yes the M3 paddles should fit! Maybe in the future i might get another wheel, it will most probably feel better, but for now i'm happy The paddles should be here tomorrow.

Not really looking forward to the retrim but needs must!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Very nice
      01-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_guy View Post
Really nice car, colour and specification.

I am sure you will notice both performance and handling for the better immediately.

Suggestions:
LCI rear lights (may require some coding)
M Sport bumpers, fog lights and side skirts
De-badge rear

Although in times like now, economy of a 320D would be very appealing, you'll let this worry you less when going forward with the grunt of your new machine.

Vik
Thanks

Yes i have instantly felt the improvement. No rolling to one side trying to hang on! Performance is just stunning, i can't even begin to imagine how it would be remapped!

I like your suggestions and will keep an eye out in the classifieds. Not sure if i want to de badge. I feel like leaving it on there for a while

Yes i will lose the economy but like you say i'll get such a thrill instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Lovely looking motor mate. Great colour combo.
Be careful out there in this weather tonight.
Thanks. Yeah i have just come back after a spirited drive and i did wheel spin a few times. Not really the best conditions. Can't wait until its dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Lovely motor mate.
Welcome to gangsta club (coupe club).
Nice and subtle mods.
I am more interested in IB install part 2.
Thanks Yessss im a gangsta now! Lol.

Yeah just want to do subtle mods for now. Ease into it!

Oh and how could i forget about the audio??? Going to try and do something about the Morels asap. The audio is the base spec and i don't need to tell you what its like But today i haven't played any music, just been admiring the engine. It's so different coming from a 320D.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

welcome aboard mate and that looks stunning!!!!! I love Red interiors! You have SO much potential on that car bro!!

- Aero Lip
- M3 wheel if poss otherwise thickening of current wheel
- Rear M3 Boot Lip DEF required (see B.C.Moto on ebay, £45 delivered from Taiwan. I have it and many more do too and paint is SPOT ON) or you can get a more aggressive one (see P 5UMLs thread)
- The rest you got covered anyways.

Enjoy her and treat her nicely

Congrats once again buddy!
      01-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Very nice
Thank you I hope you're keeping well bud.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
welcome aboard mate and that looks stunning!!!!! I love Red interiors! You have SO much potential on that car bro!!

- Aero Lip
- M3 wheel if poss otherwise thickening of current wheel
- Rear M3 Boot Lip DEF required (see B.C.Moto on ebay, £45 delivered from Taiwan. I have it and many more do too and paint is SPOT ON) or you can get a more aggressive one (see P 5UMLs thread)
- The rest you got covered anyways.

Enjoy her and treat her nicely

Congrats once again buddy!
Thanks bro. Like your suggestions and will try and do the aero and boot lip. £45 i like It does need something, looks naked at the mo.

Sorry, what you mean about thickening of the wheel? The paddles are coming here shortly and you're worrying me now!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

that looks a very nice car, perhaps some different exhaust tips and id fit aero lip and m sport sideskirts these will make a subtle and pleasing difference. you could go for a few bmw performance bits for the interior, handbrake handle, gearlever, pedals etc, they are affordable and top quality. I know what you mean about just wanting to keep driving it until the fuel runs out!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
_Ascension_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - Sophisto Grey

Looking good, bet the power difference feels amazing compared to the 320.

Having seen a lot of people say the standard stereo was awful, I was expecting the very worst and actually ended up being pleasantly surprised as I'd set my expectations so low.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Thanks bro. Like your suggestions and will try and do the aero and boot lip. £45 i like It does need something, looks naked at the mo.

Sorry, what you mean about thickening of the wheel? The paddles are coming here shortly and you're worrying me now!!
Hey man,
So I was going to get those paddles as well but saw that M3 wheel with the paddles which I showed you right? I was just saying in the future, you may want to consider getting your actual steering wheel retrimmed for a thicker grip feeling.. OR getting the M3 wheel itself

Also, if you want Exhaust tips, give me a shout... you already know I recently bought a pair from the states. Shipped to here cost about £75 and it arrived in 8 days and tbh, I'm f****ng excited to have them on! They are put on by cutting off OEM tips and having the new ones welded on.. no sound difference but visually.. most will know not the f**k around with you infront of them LOL

Oh and I HIGHLY recommend the performance Auto Gear Knob directly from BMW for about £87ish... it's beautiful man and part alcantara!!

Let me know and I'll send you the link.. I can't believe BMW don't put this as standard!!

I'm liking the split armrest BTW, nice interior touch!
      01-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Welcome to the 335d club! Get it booked in for a remap next. Best mod you'll make!
      01-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
that looks a very nice car, perhaps some different exhaust tips and id fit aero lip and m sport sideskirts these will make a subtle and pleasing difference. you could go for a few bmw performance bits for the interior, handbrake handle, gearlever, pedals etc, they are affordable and top quality. I know what you mean about just wanting to keep driving it until the fuel runs out!
Thanks I can't stop smiling today! Will definately look at the aero and boot lips. There's so many things so i want to start with the litle subtle ones first but will definately keep an eye out for things everyone has suggested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension335i View Post
Looking good, bet the power difference feels amazing compared to the 320.

Having seen a lot of people say the standard stereo was awful, I was expecting the very worst and actually ended up being pleasantly surprised as I'd set my expectations so low.
It feels like i'm on a rollercoaster! From a stationery position i tried launching from M2 (read this somewhere) and its sooo effortless. I haven't even put my foot down from a standing start yet due to the conditions but its still rapid.

The stereo for me can be improved. Maybe try and have a listen to other ones but if you're happy then don't do anything!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Hey man,
So I was going to get those paddles as well but saw that M3 wheel with the paddles which I showed you right? I was just saying in the future, you may want to consider getting your actual steering wheel retrimmed for a thicker grip feeling.. OR getting the M3 wheel itself
Ohh i get what you mean now. Yeah thats a great shout and something which definitely appeals to me. I think i may get it re trimmed as its cheaper. But for the next 2-3 weeks i'm going to pamper and touch it up!

Quote:
Also, if you want Exhaust tips, give me a shout... you already know I recently bought a pair from the states. Shipped to here cost about £75 and it arrived in 8 days and tbh, I'm f****ng excited to have them on! They are put on by cutting off OEM tips and having the new ones welded on.. no sound difference but visually.. most will know not the f**k around with you infront of them LOL

Oh and I HIGHLY recommend the performance Auto Gear Knob directly from BMW for about £87ish... it's beautiful man and part alcantara!!

Let me know and I'll send you the link.. I can't believe BMW don't put this as standard!!

I'm liking the split armrest BTW, nice interior touch!
Yes i really like those tips you bought. Will also be interested in the gear knob. Please send me a link

I really have to try and restrain myself for a few weeks though. But i might get the tips

I didn't realise the coupe was so different. I like the little additions, like the folding side compartments, and the way the car gives you the seatbelt. Now everyone will probably think im weird, but everytime it pushes it forward for me i say cheers in my head
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #20
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody80 View Post
Welcome to the 335d club! Get it booked in for a remap next. Best mod you'll make!
I've got a DTUK box from a previous car, and i only need to buy the wiring loom. But to be honest mate its sooo fast at the moment! Maybe in a few weeks/months once i get used to the power. But yeah, a remap is what i'd do. Don't really want to put a box on.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and im getting around 21-22 mpg today!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Wtf!? That's lowwww... You must have really been enjoying your drive lol. Even with a very heavy foot I get no less than 35 mpg lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1907315471...84.m1423.l2649