E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Tire installers

04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Robspages
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White 335d

Tire installers

Hey Folks.

Spring is slowly resolving itself here in southeastern PA and its time to switch back to my summer wheels (yay!). My summers are a bit worn however so I am soliciting quotes from the usual suspects on replacement rubber.

I have an 09 D with the sport package and my summer tires are going on the offset OEM wheels that came in that package.

The quote from my dealership was ridiculously high. We are talking hundreds over on installation, and at least $500 over on the tires themselves.

My first question is:

Are there any drawback/gotchya/need-to-watch-out-for with having a tire place do the work instead of the dealership?

My second question is:

I'm going to roll with the OEM replacement run-flat tires

225/40R18 Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A RFT
255/35R18 Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A RFT

When I look at STS Tire and Tire Rack, there are 3 or 4 variants of those models, all with the same duty rating (88/90W) and 1 variant with the 88/90Y variant. Some of the variants are labeled as BMW only; some are labeled OEM and some don't have any special labels.

Is there any real difference? All of the specs appear to be the identical but the prices and skus are different.

The only thing I could think of is something would be different to play better with the tire pressure sensors...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
ficklerx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robspages View Post
Are there any drawback/gotchya/need-to-watch-out-for with having a tire place do the work instead of the dealership?
I would take a look at tirerack.com for recommended installers in your area. Many have their prices posted as well as what equipment is used. I have used this info in the past to assure that 'touchless' mounting equipment was used to assure the wheels were not damaged. I also received a better price than if I had just walked in with tires to be mounted and balanced.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
My first question is:

Nope, just find a good installer. Tire rack has recommended installers with public reviews which you may find helpful. Make sure to note your wheel quality/condition in the presence of any installer which you may choose to use (including dealer) in case of damage.

Quote:
My second question is:

When I look at STS Tire and Tire Rack, there are 3 or 4 variants of those models, all with the same duty rating (88/90W) and 1 variant with the 88/90Y variant. Some of the variants are labeled as BMW only; some are labeled OEM and some don't have any special labels.

Is there any real difference? All of the specs appear to be the identical but the prices and skus are different.

The only thing I could think of is something would be different to play better with the tire pressure sensors...
Different vehicle manufacturers have the tire manufacturers tweak their standard tires to better suit the vehicle manufacturer's idea of the best tire for their auto. Tire rack has a lot of good educational resources, but here's an example...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26

GL!

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
When I look at STS Tire and Tire Rack,
My son and I both like the Michelin PS2 ZP better than the Bridgestone (a bit quieter and longer-lived, but YMMV).

In addition to tirerack (love them), you might check tires.com (Discount Tire).
I have also used Costco successfully - their prices are basically as low as tirerack, and even a bit lower if they're having a Bridgestone or Michelin sale for that month.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

225/40R18 Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A RFT
255/35R18 Bridgestone POTENZA RE050A RFT
If you want to go with RFT's, you really should consider the Michelin PS2 RFT's instead. A bit more expensive but the ride is noticeably better (feels like non-runflat, honestly) and they will wear much longer.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
If you want to go with RFT's, you really should consider the Michelin PS2 RFT's instead. A bit more expensive but the ride is noticeably better (feels like non-runflat, honestly) and they will wear much longer.
+1 to that.

OP, I'd also consider going to non-RFT Michelin PSS (plus a flat repair kit in the trunk which will give you the same distance as the RFT in the event of a flat). I just transitioned my wife's x5 from RFT to non and (despite upsizing the wheels an inch) the difference is amazing. She can't get over it.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Robspages
Driver
Rep

Thanks guys.

I'll look into the Michellins and will check TireRack's suggestions for local installers.

When moving to the non-RunFlats does the extra inch of tire cause issues with suspension travel?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I'll look into the Michellins and will check TireRack's suggestions for local installers.

When moving to the non-RunFlats does the extra inch of tire cause issues with suspension travel?
. I'm not sure what you mean, partner. Just be sure to stick to the same tire size, different brands always have slightly different contact patch widths when comparing tires of the same size (rounded vs square shoulder), but overall diameter is not affected by switching from one tire to another of the same size (RFT or not).

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Where at u exactly? I have two ideas for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Robspages
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
Where at u exactly? I have two ideas for you.
30 minutes west of West Chester, 30 minutes east of Lancaster. My work is in King of Prussia and my dealer for most things is Ottos.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Robspages
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
. I'm not sure what you mean, partner. Just be sure to stick to the same tire size, different brands always have slightly different contact patch widths when comparing tires of the same size (rounded vs square shoulder), but overall diameter is not affected by switching from one tire to another of the same size (RFT or not).
I was thinking the non-rft would be taller (larger diameter) than the rft variant and might rub on inside of the wheel well more than the rft in bumps and cornering.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Ive always sought the advice of TIRERACK and spoken to Alex, he has alaways been as honest as can be and given me the best bang for the dollar. Good luck to all of those whom are seeking advice check before you buy, ALWAYS!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Quote:
30 minutes west of West Chester, 30 minutes east of Lancaster. My work is in King of Prussia and my dealer for most things is Ottos.
wow! good news. I work in kop. off church road.

alignment at the dealers here is $199.

http://www.bavarianspecialties.com/gen.shtml
this is a bmw specialty shop, they work on bmw track cars, daily drivers, etc.
they are the corner of crooked lane and church road, just off 202.
$139.00 alignment
$120 M+B plus the typical fees/tax
they do a lot of high end work for bmw dealers, us enthusiasts, racing teams, even algar ferrari!

If you are a bmw-cca member, and joined recently, bavarian will mail you a 15% off labor card.

Tell Tom that Ryan with the diesel sent you.
Peter worked on my car. but he and all of the guys walked out to say hello to me, when I came to pick up the car.
they loved the car and did a fantastic job.
let me tell you. runflats which are a BEAST to remove from wheels carefully.
they were perfect. no marks on my 193s.
they put on my new wheels, not a mark!

they are better than the dealer b/c they are
1. good enough for the dealers to use
2. they have a Hunter!
3. far less expensive
4. the techs will care a lot more about your car than the dealers, from what I've seen

I can pick you up from there and drop you at a local lunch spot that has wifi, so you can chill there.

always wash your car before bringing it in for service.
I have found that techs will treat the car a bit more carefully if they know you're detail oriented.
      04-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Robspages
Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
wow! good news. I work in kop. off church road.

alignment at the dealers here is $199.

http://www.bavarianspecialties.com/gen.shtml
this is a bmw specialty shop, they work on bmw track cars, daily drivers, etc.
they are the corner of crooked lane and church road, just off 202.
$139.00 alignment
$120 M+B plus the typical fees/tax
they do a lot of high end work for bmw dealers, us enthusiasts, racing teams, even algar ferrari!

If you are a bmw-cca member, and joined recently, bavarian will mail you a 15% off labor card.

Tell Tom that Ryan with the diesel sent you.
Peter worked on my car. but he and all of the guys walked out to say hello to me, when I came to pick up the car.
they loved the car and did a fantastic job.
let me tell you. runflats which are a BEAST to remove from wheels carefully.
they were perfect. no marks on my 193s.
they put on my new wheels, not a mark!

they are better than the dealer b/c they are
1. good enough for the dealers to use
2. they have a Hunter!
3. far less expensive
4. the techs will care a lot more about your car than the dealers, from what I've seen

I can pick you up from there and drop you at a local lunch spot that has wifi, so you can chill there.

always wash your car before bringing it in for service.
I have found that techs will treat the car a bit more carefully if they know you're detail oriented.
I saw a Le mons blue getting diesel at a sunoco in West Chester this morning - that wasn't you was it? Because the shell up the road is slightly more expensive but has better juice.

I'm around the corner on Allendale, btw. the only time I go up to Henderson is for Primos.
Appreciate 0