E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Almost finished with my Wedge 93 stock turbo map.

01-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Almost finished with my Wedge 93 stock turbo map.

I have been working with Wedge the last 2 weeks and I am very happy with the results. My Z4 pulls very hard and the DCT changes gears as quick as ever. There are some tweaks being made to my map but here are my results so far and my last 3rd and 4th gear log. My virtual dyno was based on the 3rd gear pull on this log.

http://www.datazap.me/u/lamboworld/b...=0&data=2-7-19

I have always gotten quick responses from them and they are very easy to work with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
NA55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Am I reading this incorrectly or does the graph show 32 psi of boost?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

Max boost is around 19.5 tapering to 13. Virtual Dyno show boost mean abs.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
I have been working with Wedge the last 2 weeks and I am very happy with the results. My Z4 pulls very hard and the DCT changes gears as quick as ever. There are some tweaks being made to my map but here are my results so far and my last 3rd and 4th gear log. My virtual dyno was based on the 3rd gear pull on this log.

I have always gotten quick responses from them and they are very easy to work with.
BQ Tuning @ WedgePerformance FTW
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
dx1541
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335is blue water metallic

Hey am I reading it right this is an Sdrive 35i DCT Z4?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx1541 View Post
Hey am I reading it right this is an Sdrive 35i DCT Z4?
Yup
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I have the same vehicle. I'm only hitting 16.5PSI and it feels fast.

Do you have any mods on the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Good looking log

Timing is only around 5 degrees but that is to be expected on pump to stay out of the knock zone.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I have the same vehicle. I'm only hitting 16.5PSI and it feels fast.

Do you have any mods on the car?
The boost that you are seeing has more to do with your tune than the mods that you have. I do have other mods though.

AR DP's
HPF FMIC
Remus Exhaust
KWV3's

I highly recommend that you change your suspension setup if you are going to max out the power in these cars. The stock suspension on the Z4 is great for cruising but not very good if you are going to drive your car hard.

I would shoot wedgeperformance@gmail.com an e-mail and have them put together a tune for you if you are looking for more power.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
The boost that you are seeing has more to do with your tune than the mods that you have. I do have other mods though.

AR DP's
HPF FMIC
Remus Exhaust
KWV3's

I highly recommend that you change your suspension setup if you are going to max out the power in these cars. The stock suspension on the Z4 is great for cruising but not very good if you are going to drive your car hard.

I would shoot wedgeperformance@gmail.com an e-mail and have them put together a tune for you if you are looking for more power.
My car has the adaptive dampers so the suspension is pretty sharp when turned up.

What does the Remus exhaust sound like?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Holy crap, 19-20psi taper to 13 and 5* timing with only 50 WGDC on pump only and no timing corrections, this log is sexy!!! I didn't even know you could tune this aggressive on pump only. Congrats! And also, awesome job Wedge!!! I don't think it gets any better with stock turbos on pump only. Go dyno jet that thing!!
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #12
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post
I didn't even know you could tune this aggressive on pump only
I don't see anything particularly aggressive about 5-6 deg timing or the boost curve for a car with upgraded intercooler and DPs running pump gas. Boost is healthy for sure but timing is conservative (and yes I'm aware more boost requires less timing but its still not aggressive). And that's in no way to say its a bad thing, the car may run better with 5 deg of timing than 9 deg it just doesn't look traditional "aggressive" to me unless your going by Cobbs standard of aggressive OTS maps.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #13
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

I preffer on pump gas to run more boost than timing (leaving some head room) as pump gas is not always what they say it is. Stations rotate their tanks mixing octane so you really never know if your running 93 or 91 etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
My car has the adaptive dampers so the suspension is pretty sharp when turned up.

What does the Remus exhaust sound like?
It is not Eisenmann but it sounds pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap, 19-20psi taper to 13 and 5* timing with only 50 WGDC on pump only and no timing corrections, this log is sexy!!! I didn't even know you could tune this aggressive on pump only. Congrats! And also, awesome job Wedge!!! I don't think it gets any better with stock turbos on pump only. Go dyno jet that thing!!
I plan to dyno soon. Hopefully this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I preffer on pump gas to run more boost than timing (leaving some head room) as pump gas is not always what they say it is. Stations rotate their tanks mixing octane so you really never know if your running 93 or 91 etc.
All these threads starting to make me wish I let you tune my car..
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
MM Performance
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
I don't see anything particularly aggressive about 5-6 deg timing or the boost curve for a car with upgraded intercooler and DPs running pump gas. Boost is healthy for sure but timing is conservative (and yes I'm aware more boost requires less timing but its still not aggressive). And that's in no way to say its a bad thing, the car may run better with 5 deg of timing than 9 deg it just doesn't look traditional "aggressive" to me unless your going by Cobbs standard of aggressive OTS maps.
Stan, well the proof is in the pudding, lets see where he dyno's at, everything else is just conjecture
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #18
MM Performance
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
BQ, well I see it as a balancing game that can really only be played with a measuring stick like a dyno. My preference is if more timing can be traded for less boost safely and prove to achieve MBT and than better to save Pressure ratio and wear on the turbos but you dont know until you play on a dyno and figure out if more timing or more boost gives more power. Not to mention that MBT timing moves when boost is added because more boost changes the flame front speed so actually when adding boost you need less advance because flame will travel faster. And that all assumes you are at the mas torque AFR range, because if richer than max torque AFR then flame also travels slower. Still, we dont know until this guy hits up the dyno and maybe plays with +- boost and +- timing balance to see if he is at MBT.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #19
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BQ, well I see it as a balancing game that can really only be played with a measuring stick like a dyno. My preference is if more timing can be traded for less boost safely and prove to achieve MBT and than better to save Pressure ratio and wear on the turbos but you dont know until you play on a dyno and figure out if more timing or more boost gives more power. Not to mention that MBT timing moves when boost is added because more boost changes the flame front speed so actually when adding boost you need less advance because flame will travel faster. And that all assumes you are at the mas torque AFR range, because if richer than max torque AFR then flame also travels slower. Still, we dont know until this guy hits up the dyno and maybe plays with +- boost and +- timing balance to see if he is at MBT.
I am sure the OP will eventually get on a DJ. However, we have to keep in mind that dyno tuning does not tell us what is going on in the next gear. I rather tune in real world conditions first to see what the car is happy with, then take it to a dyno for tweaking the power curve.

I have seen 5-8 degree timing with 16-14 PSI on 93 octane come off a dyno with zero timing corrections. Then when the car got out to perform in real world conditions there were timing correction galore on the same fuel, and falling drastically on its face in the top end

And your absolutely right, there is a balancing game when it comes to the amount of timing to use in regards to MBT IF we want to reach for the sky. However my approach is, let the car tell me what it likes in real world performance first, then dyno, then back to the streets.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #20
MM Performance
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ
Quote:
I am sure the OP will eventually get on a DJ. However, we have to keep in mind that dyno tuning does not tell us what is going on in the next gear. I rather tune in real world conditions first to see what the car is happy with, then take it to a dyno for tweaking the power curve.

I have seen 5-8 degree timing with 16-14 PSI on 93 octane come off a dyno with zero timing corrections. Then when the car got out to perform in real world conditions there were timing correction galore on the same fuel, and falling drastically on its face in the top end

And your absolutely right, there is a balancing game when it comes to the amount of timing to use in regards to MBT IF we want to reach for the sky. However my approach is, let the car tell me what it likes in real world performance first, then dyno, then back to the streets.
Absolutely, this is because there is far more load on the street. That's why dynojet is no good for tuning. If tune to max on dynojet, when more load is applied on the street it will knock. Needs to be a load based dyno like mustang to get much closer and then final tweaks on the street. Always has to be finalized on actually street runs or 1/4 passes due to differences in actual load on street vs dyno. My car can support 20psi to redline In 4th gear on street but on dynojet 4th gear at 5500rpm to redline it's 16.5 to 17psi max bc so much less exhaust volume in 4th upper rpm due to big difference in how the dyno loads the car vs the street.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #21
e89zumrut
Rep
Drives: e89 35i

[QUOTE=Lambobimmer;17253912]I have been working with Wedge the last 2 weeks and I am very happy with the results. My Z4 pulls very hard and the DCT changes gears as quick as ever. There are some tweaks being made to my map but here are my results so far and my last 3rd and 4th gear log. My virtual dyno was based on the 3rd gear pull on this log.

I have always gotten quick responses from them and they are very easy to work with.[/QUOTE

very nice results... I have a question for you. Correct me if I'm wrong.. according to this dyno is that useless to go over 5k rpms bc you got the max. power at 5k and max. tq at around 4k so if you go over 5k you will be also skip the max tq rpm by the time you up shift
Appreciate 0