E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Forum Question: What do you like about the forum? what don't you?

12-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #23
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I think you missed the "Hey Days" when Le_Mans and PencilGeek were here. You could learn a TON from their posts. Even Sticky contributed, but he just isn't able to give his message without being overly aggressive and even abusive on a regular basis. I bet he defended his car/point of view more than he would defend his mother or wife.
But he pushed the boundary of the M3 tuing. Unfortunately, the venders drove them all away, well maybe not Sticky.
Well stated

Cons - overly active mods that delete entire threads or individual posts. Gives the impression they're biased toward certain vendors, not forum members
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #24
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I learned a huge amount about my car before I even took delivery 3 years ago. Learned a huge amount about my car after I took delivery of it. Most of what I learned wasn't from asking questions that have been asked a thousand times, I learned from taking the time to read. Learned enough to do some mods, and for the most part feel like I know more about the car than SA's at the dealer. Lately it feels like the forum is a victim of it's own success, like going from a small town feel to the city. Now there's too many members. Too many questions from too many new people that obviously haven't taken to the time to learn anything about their car, and when you have more people involved, you inherently get more wrong answers. Rather than get frustrated I've just learned I need to move on and spend less time reading through the forum. Lots of information, but now there is so much repetitiveness, a lot of bs, and a lot of just wrong answers to wade through, my advice to new members is to read a lot, but take everything with a grain of salt. The more you read the better you will be able to sift through the bs and wrong info.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 12-03-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #25
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Like: Meeting new people, sharing interests, learning from other members and getting advice, meeting potential new friends, buying and selling products. Drooling over people with more funds than I have to spend on their cars, living vicariously though the IND projects.

Dislikes: Members who talk down about the forums central meeting point (in this case M3), people who have little to no expertise or grounds for making their comments, posts that are not uniting members but rather dividing them.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #26
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Likes: the ability to get some of the latest info on issues/concerns. Mods of course too!

Dislikes: people that come here saying "this car is better than the M3" and then expect to not be flamed. This is an M3 forum, of course you're going to get flamed for posting here saying your car is better/faster/stronger, even if it definitely is. I guess they could just be wrapped up into the "troll" category, since 95% of those threads are made simply to troll M3 enthusiasts. Go troll your MB/Nissan/Porsche forums.
      12-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #27
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

The only thing I don't like is that racing stories are prohibited.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #28
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I like everything the people and format ... I think it is the best forum of them all.

dislike not much to insignificant to mention

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandaniel View Post
Hey guys,

I'm doing some research for a class,

I was wondering what you guys like about this forum compared to others

also what don't you guys like?

what could be added to make it better?

Please help me out!

Thanks!!
Lots of actvity / very useful information / reasonably intelligent crowd for the most part

Dislikes:

Moderators are a little too conservative when people are having a little fun

This overall format really sucks when having a discussion compared to the threaded format used on a site like Quattroworld. This is my biggest gripe, and what I miss in the online community compared to when I owned my Audi RS4. It is MUCH easier to follow a proper discussion thread in the format used on that site.

Last edited by LarThaL; 12-03-2011 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

I have found more "helpful" information on the BMW forums rather than my service manager. A lot of people say..."you just can believe what you read on the web", but I believe that differs when you interact with a dedicated forum.

I also like the "search" function. I'm not thrilled with ads or social networking features implemented in the forum web site, but it is what it is.

Most of the people seem genuine because they are using the same product as each other to which you receive good tidbits.

If you just like to drive, tinker, enthuse or repair, forums like these leave a nice spot for many drivers to escape to as a mental relaxing point also.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #31
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Like: layout, colors are not bad, ease of use, active, wide range of folks.

Dislike: Since it is labeled as a forum, I cannot access it at work. (Military ban-hammer)
      12-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #32
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
As BMW specific forums go, this one is the best. I'm a member of 2 BMW forums. This and BFest. I joined the other one in 2008 when I bought my first Bimmer. I really like Bimmerfest but I love it here. I joined here this year and wish I did sooner. More activity, extremely knowledgeable and more of a "nightclub" crowd/atmosphere here which I like. Unfortunately a "nightclub" atmosphere is conducive to fights and attacks which are plentiful. Oddly I've only been attacked on the 'Fest which is alot more laid back. Go figure. I just wish like in general society people here would treat one another the way they'd like to be treated. But then again, how much fun would that be?
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #33
M3maniac20
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe

Like the forum because of activity level and there are new posts every few hours. It's nice to catch up when I haven't been on in a week. Unlike the Ford Raptor forum I'm on, where literally it's the same posts all of the time. Also, like how easy it is to get info from Vendors around here.

Dislike: some members get a little touchy too easily, but I guess that is a people thing, not a forum thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #34
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

I really like this forum and learned a lot from it. I just don't like it that your posts get deleted by admins/moderators as soon as you say anything against bmw, their looks, their specs,....

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #35
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Pros: activity, knowledgeable members, helpful members, good search function, diverse subjects

Cons: I get banned once a year whether I deserve it or not.
+1 on Pros and cons.....

Also, miss many of the vets who have been pushed from this forum.....

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #36
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Like: The automotive enthusiasts that have open minds and track their cars. The people that know the ins and outs of the car like how gearing plays a roll in torque multiplies over the rev range.

Dislikes: The Fanboy's and the finger happy mods who that give warnings left and right for no reason. I came back about a year ago after being banned and a 2 year hiatus. All of the people that were on my friends list and an asset to this forum were banned and have not returned over the period of my absence.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #37
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

It seems like that most of members are not happy from mods! I used to own a large forum and we had a lot of mods as well. One of the rules was that for every post or thread that gets deleted, the mods had to PM the user. I think the admins should ask the mods here to do that as well.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #38
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
This is probably one of the best forums i have ever been on.
Cons: I hate how when Sponsors are selling something, the price is never posted. Bad for business imo. I usually just move on.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #39
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandaniel View Post
Hey guys,

I'm doing some research for a class,

I was wondering what you guys like about this forum compared to others

also what don't you guys like?

what could be added to make it better?

Please help me out!

Thanks!!
OT or bimmerpost.com
      12-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #40
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Pros:
-Design and organization are now the top pros.
-Quality user contributions, although the good stuff is few and far between now.
-The tight-knit community and friends/acquaintances I've gained through this site were worth all the hours I've wasted here.

Cons:
-Certain mods have developed a serious granny-complex and get their panties in a bunch. I still think it stems to the days when South arrived to the party.
-Each year seems to raise the level of trolling, and not the quality lolzy kind.
-Average IQ levels/grammar skills are always on a steady decline.
-Still wastes my time due to old forum surfing habits that are hard to break. As I put it once, it's like smoking; hard to quit, and you keep going back even when you know that feel-good sensation won't be there.
-The level of bias surrounding which BMW news articles are featured on this website by the admin (and other Bimmerpost front page contributors) bothers me. Seeing only articles that put the Bimmer in a favorable position, and seeing comparisons that put the BMW behind being posted then spun to make it sound like the BMW came out as the winner, are annoying. Then again it's a BMW forum, so I'm not entirely surprised.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #41
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

I don't think two people should have the same avatar
It tricks me and I don't like being tricked
Appreciate 0