E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Factory ECU reset using Key Fobs

11-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
RufNutt
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive LCI

Factory ECU reset using Key Fobs

To make a long story short I had my car on stands and serviced all fluid levels.

For some reason i am left with the 4x4 light on and abs etc, basically disabling my xdrive

3 years ago ago I had to get my car towed home and replace my starter on my 2009 328ixdrive LCI model.

After getting it towed home I bascically had all the same warning lights on my dash disabling all my xdrive functions as I do today.

Back when I did the starter I was told the only way to reset everything back to factory was to go to the dealer.

While reading one day I found a thread here where someone told someone to use their 2 key fobs to to put everything back to factory after doing a bad eeprom of ecu coding with their laptop.

Does anybody know the proper steps to follow to use both key fobs to do this procedure?

I know when i did it last time all lights were off on the dash and everything worked fine with no warnings.

I should have bookmarked that thread that day

thanks for any info.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Typicaly when you detach the Car Battery you get the 4x4 error .
Or if the car battery looses power for some reason.
It's usually reset by turning your wheel all the way to the left and right.
Or you could drive it around the block.
I have never heard of the Key Fobs resetting anything.
And they will even retain the setting if the car or keyfobs loose power
as the setting's are stored in the car.

Adaptions are reset by other means.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
RufNutt
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Typicaly when you detach the Car Battery you get the 4x4 error .
Or if the car battery looses power for some reason.
It's usually reset by turning your wheel all the way to the left and right.
Or you could drive it around the block.
I have never heard of the Key Fobs resetting anything.
And they will even retain the setting if the car or keyfobs loose power
as the setting's are stored in the car.

Adaptions are reset by other means.
Thanks for the reply ctuna,

I have read about that exact procedure and it works as I did it when I changed the rack a couple years ago.

Well the procedure I read about when I did the starter. It was a response to someone that could not get back into their ecu or eeprom to flash the code back to factory as the setting they changed for the car did not like it.

I don't remember the exact procedure but they described a way to flash computer back to factory settings using original key fobs ,as this info is accessible and stored in ecu somewhere.

Maybe the forum that had the info does not exist any more as some were shut down by bmw.

So basically I been doing lots of reading trying to find the post because I told my wife I never dreamed this procedure up LOL.

I don't remember what I did exactly but I know I put one key fob in the ignition and put the car in acc mode. I got out of the car then I locked the doors with the other key fob for a few hours. It is suppose to do a rewrite.

I cant remember if there was other steps prior to getting out and locking the car , like accessing the hidden menu and changing something first. I tried the procedure I described above but all lights are still there. Doing the wheel turn from left to right, turns off 4x4 ,but abs and looks like dts is still disabled

A few years ago it worked when I did the starter as I made sure all lights were off on the dash before it came off the stands and I only used the key fob procedure and the next morning all warning lights were off.

Anyhow I will have to go through my old hd computer backups and see if I can find a bookmark as this would save alot of headaches if this procedure actually exists LOL.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There are some reset adaptions procedures that you can do with
a combination of pedal manipulations. They are mostly for the transmission
and adpative stuff like emissions and tuning.

Replacing a starter or alternator should not cause a direct fault but if the
battery was low it could cause reset's
Just having the battery disconnected causes a number of adaptive reset's
the most noticeable of which is the transmission adaptions if you have and automatic.
Appreciate 0