E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

10-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #221
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hey sweet! Thanks AoshichanX! I take it they are local?

I actually also got a notification that someone can sell me theirs (sorry to hear about the wreck Enf!), but as I only created this account today, I can't PM anyone yet!

I'll go see how many posts it takes before I can PM, but thanks again!

Edit: Oh, by the way, got a link to what a 6FL upgrade is?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #222
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
6FL give you iPod connectivity through the armrest. It is better than the glove box option you can purchase through BMW directly.

Here is a link.

Patrys is from Poland. He is a hacker who can wirelessly activate/code latent BMW functionality to your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdon View Post
Hey sweet! Thanks AoshichanX! I take it they are local?

I actually also got a notification that someone can sell me theirs (sorry to hear about the wreck Enf!), but as I only created this account today, I can't PM anyone yet!

I'll go see how many posts it takes before I can PM, but thanks again!

Edit: Oh, by the way, got a link to what a 6FL upgrade is?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #223
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoshichanX View Post
6FL give you iPod connectivity through the armrest. It is better than the glove box option you can purchase through BMW directly.

Here is a link.

Patrys is from Poland. He is a hacker who can wirelessly activate/code latent BMW functionality to your vehicle.
Ahhh...ok. I've got the USB hookup for that within my armrest already and it works great. Thanks for the heads up though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 01:56 AM   #224
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ahhh...ok. I've got the USB hookup for that within my armrest already and it works great. Thanks for the heads up though.
Oh cool! I envy you, good luck; keep us updated. And welcome!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #225
Hoog_23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/535i

I just posted a FZD in the for sale section if anyone is interested
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #226
enforcerman
The Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 328i MSport

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
yup. my car is probably totalled. I took out the TCU and the tan FZD today. If they do total it i'll sell it. I should know in a week or two

Also took off my blacklines and euro switch.
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #227
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcerman View Post
yup. my car is probably totalled. I took out the TCU and the tan FZD today. If they do total it i'll sell it. I should know in a week or two

Also took off my blacklines and euro switch.
Unfortunately I've got grey interior, so the FZD is a nogo. I'm not sure if you're willing to sell them separately (no biggie if not), but it seems that I may have to research more about the TCU model I need since I've got the 6FL thing in my car (what AoshichanX was talking about)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #228
enforcerman
The Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 328i MSport

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Unfortunately I've got grey interior, so the FZD is a nogo. I'm not sure if you're willing to sell them separately (no biggie if not), but it seems that I may have to research more about the TCU model I need since I've got the 6FL thing in my car (what AoshichanX was talking about)
I wouldnt mind selling them separate. But I have to wait until im sure they are going to total it. they towed it to the salvage yard today so im waiting on their decision. Sad thing is it was a relatively minor t-bone crash that screwed up the doors on the passengers side and bent the frame. Knocked the passenger side rear wheel a bit too. Oh well, im looking at X5's now since I have more kids to haul around.
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #229
Hoog_23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/535i

Quote:
The FZD I have for sale is grey...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #230
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoog_23 View Post
The FZD I have for sale is grey...
Yea, I'm thinking about yours, just don't know what the going rate is for one yet, you know? I'll let you know if a couple days if you still have it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #231
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Current online part pricing for the BT Retrofit.

1. BMW of Lincoln (Best Price)

2. Passport BMW

3. Tisher BMW
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #232
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

2. Passport BMW

3. Tisher BMW
if you have the part numbers try bmwpartsunlimited.com they are pretty cheap too
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #233
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

Can you link this site please?

Edit: Nevermind, this is the site

Last edited by tylerdurdon; 10-18-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #234
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

For those of you who like to save money...TCU for about $300, no core fee.

My final costs for the blue-tooth upgrade:

$230 TCU (e-bay)
$135 FZD (e-bay)
$100 all other parts (Tischer)
-----
$465

My buddy is programming it for me (hopefully), for $30...so all in all, about $500 complete on the "somewhat" cheap. If not, I saw on the OEM alarm thread, that they can only charge you an hour & a half labor for the install of it (the alarm), and that included programming (about $150 total). I also purchased an OEM alarm, so if my buddy can't do it, that will be plan B (need to find out if the dealer alarm programming will take care of both).

On the e-bay parts, I found the exact part numbers Evan (Tischer) had sent me, and both the TCU and FZD happened to be people who were taking "Or Best Offer." I tried $200 on the TCU (he was asking $299) and 229 was the best I did...on the FZD the guy took my first offer (he was asking $189).

Hope this info can help some of you get some good bang for your buck. I wish you all luck and patience.

Last edited by tylerdurdon; 10-19-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #235
jonnones
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 340i (F30)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the DIY! I completed the TCU retrofit with BMW Assist with little trouble (and I'm definitely a novice). Thanks out to Evan of Tischer for a good deal on all of the parts too.

If you have a sedan and don't have drop-down back seats, use this thread to take the back seats out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4646.

I like this thread for the FCZ removal (without a screw driver): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545.

And I like this one for disconnecting/reconnecting the MOST bus wires: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376617.

Thanks again, AoshichanX! Great stuff. Next up, a factory Sirius retrofit....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #236
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

In case anyone is interested, I have the latest TCU and FZD for sale:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456687

Thanks,
Jim
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #237
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Finally found where the backup antenna goes

P.S. - Probably a good idea to do the antenna while you are setting up the M.O.S.T. hookups (fiber).

Last edited by tylerdurdon; 11-28-2010 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #238
jayjayrs
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT_ View Post
Some quick input on needing the FZD. Dealerships use the software service station (SSS) as you all know from reading posts here. The software is somewhat automated in that when you do a software update or you do a retrofit it scans all of the modules and their data and then comes up with a "measures plan." It also reads the Vehicle order or "VO" from the vehicle which is basically a list of all of the option codes of the car, the pro date, the region etc so that it knows what software to install. Obviously it needs to know if it has nav, etc so that its not trying to program a module that doesnt even exist in the car.
That being said what will happen when you have an incorrect module in the car or if a module is missing it will come up with a measure plan that will say "replace xx contol module with xx part # and then restart. Basically the SSS locks you out of doing any programming or retrofitting until it sees the correct module in the car.
When doing a retrofit for the bluetooth what is going to happen is the SSS is going to modify the vehicle order to reflect SA639 which is BMW assist. Once it modifies the VO it will then determine a measures plan to program/encode all the modules that need to be updated in order for the assist to work properly. My guess is what is going to happen is it will scan the module info and see that the FZD is incorrect and lock out any coding until the proper FZD is installed. I have done a couple of these retrofits but I have always installed the correct FZD. I have never tried it with the old FZD, therefore i cant confirm for sure that this is what would happen but from experience common sense tells me that it would. If this is the case then its not the saavyness of the dealership or the tech but just the fact that their hands are tied by the equipment.
Hello DT_,

I'm really interested in this old post, because I have a similar issue :
I've been trying to retrofit bluetooth in my E87 2007/07 with PRO SAT NAV, but no Phone prep and no USB.
I bought all the wires needed for bluetooth and a second hand MULF2 High according to realoem.com.
Everything is well fitted in the car, but the problem is my dealer can't code it. Whitout giving too many details and without knowing why, he told me that the SSS asks to change the MULF2, so he couldn't go further...
I think that he lacks a bit of knowledge on this topic and that you seem to be more experimented than him!
But unfortunately, we have no autologic independant garage around in France and I have to deal with my BMW Mechanic...

So according to your post, I assume that he only tried to add SA644 and that SSS didn't recognize the MULF2-HIGH as it expected a MULF2-LOW
1. What is your opinion?

I assume as well that if me had tried to had SA6FL first, SSS would have had recognized the MULF2 HIGH (even if I don't have the USB retrofit kit and this no USB wires) and could have coded it, and then my dealer could have add SA644 afterwards, which would have allow me to get the Bluetooth functionnality...
2. What do you think about that?

Thanks for your answers...

Last edited by jayjayrs; 12-18-2010 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #239
jayjayrs
Rep

Hi, me again...

I'd like to focus on this statement:
Quote:
When doing a retrofit for the bluetooth what is going to happen is the SSS is going to modify the vehicle order to reflect SA639 which is BMW assist.
Sorry (forgive my frenchness ) but I don't undestand the "reflect" action...
Besides why this SA639, what is the link with SA644 (for bluetooth)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #240
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayrs View Post
Hi, me again...

I'd like to focus on this statement:

Sorry (forgive my frenchness ) but I don't undestand the "reflect" action...
Besides why this SA639, what is the link with SA644 (for bluetooth)?

Thanks
The SA639 is not applicable for MULF2. This is only for USA retrofits of the TCU and FZD for the ASSIST option. Not applicable to your car. I would suggest to find a shop with the Autologic programmer if your dealer is not able to do it.

http://www.diag-auto.com/

These folks may be able to help you find a shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #241
jayjayrs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
I would suggest to find a shop with the Autologic programmer if your dealer is not able to do it.

http://www.diag-auto.com/

These folks may be able to help you find a shop.
OK thanks.
I already contacted the nearest autologic shop around in France, but it's about 6 hours drive away, so too far. I have no choice but trusting my BMW local dealer, who is not too cooperative actually so I have to tell him exactly what to do if I don't want to be too much charged...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #242
jayjayrs
Rep

I realize that my 1st post is a bit complicated , so I'm going to be more synthetic:

The facts :
- I have a E87 (EUROPE) produced 2007/07 with SAT NAV PRO, but neither Phone prep option (SA640) nor USB option (SA6FL) and my goal is to retrofit Bluetooth (and NOT USB).
- I allready installed a MULF2-HIGH (the one with the USB PLUG) compatible with my car (realoem.com)
- I allready installed the bluetooth harness (that goes from the radio to the MULF2),
- BUT my BMW dealer could't code the MULF2, apparently SSS asks to change the MULF2 (and I got charged for that!!!)

What I supposed happened:
- My dealer tried to retrofit bluetooth and he directly added the option SA644.
- As SSS did expect a MULF2-LOW to code only bluetooth, it didn't recognize the MULF2-HIGH and asked to change

What I'd like to know, and where I ask for your help
- If I ask my dealer to try again, but this time to add and code first the option SA6FL for USB (even if I don't have the needed USB wires and hub, and even if USB will not work!), will this action be possible and if so, will SSS recognize the MULF2-HIGH, and finally will my dealer be abble to add SA644 afterwards, and make the bluetooth work in my car?...

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge...

Last edited by jayjayrs; 12-18-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0