E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Collected the new 330i M-Sport (not all good....)

08-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Collected the new 330i M-Sport (not all good....)

well I finally collected the car last friday (will post some pics when I get round to it, how do I upload to this site?)

car is 330i M-Sport coupe in sparkling graphite with following extras:
-225M wheels
-black dakota
-bluetooth
-sat nav pro
-DAB
-PDC
-Heated Seats
-iPod kit
-electric mirrors
-auto inc paddles

overall the car is great and an excellent change from my E60 M-Sport although there are a few areas in which it is lagging behind the E60 in terms of build quality that i hope someone on here can advise on and my dealer can fix ASAP....

1. lot of creaking from rear parcel area, sounds like its coming from nr high level 3rd brake light but could be anywhere back there, is constant noise at all speeds

2. when driving above 75mph loud/noticeable "whistling/whine" noise is clearly heard coming from passenger side A-Pillar nr wing mirror housing. anyone else had this? a contact suggested it could be the rubber seals need time to "bed in" given the newness of the car and the fact i've not washed it yet since taking delivery.....sounds like a long shot.

and finally....the bloody cup holder near the driver comes out so slowly its just gotta be "duff" the passenger one appears with a nice smooth action but the drivers one stutters, stalls and then slowly appears. another item for the "snag" list.

so although i am please with the car, for a car costing over £40K i am not impressed with these build quality issues especially after owning two E60's back to back that never put a foot wrong
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I don't think that what you are describing is bad at all. Don't forget a car is an amalgimation of thousands of individual pieces which are made by hundreds of companys and sub-contractors. BMW's quality control is excellent but they don't extensivly road test the cars to iron out every minor rattle or else you would be delivered a car with many miles on the clock and then you would complain about that. I'm sure the dealer will recify very quickly. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Congrats on the new motor But sorry to hear of the problems.

The rear parcel shelf in the E92 seems to be the source of a lot of rattles from the posts that I have seen here. The whistling noise sounds like something not quite sealing, or something in the airflow outside that shouldn't be.

I'd get in touch with your dealer and get them to sort it.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:21 AM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

hi mate, i've had this same issue (i think)

it drove me mad, took me hours to work out what it was... worse when it was very cold or very hot i had the seats down, rear storage thing opened, took out the rear drinks holder..

its the rear vent grill, common on the e90 and e92. Take it to the dealer, he tells me that it is a TSB. it would creak and pop all the time... infact i'm taking it back again as the noise is still evident!

check out my post here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=rear+vent
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

the thing making the noise is the grill (no 5) in pic..(the six prongs)

i HATE rattles with a passion, so much so I would change a car due to em. Misses thinks I am mad, but on a 40k car (even with 225m's, RFT and sports suspension) i do not want to hear creeks and pops etc.

i also "lube" the door sills with BMW's recommended product carbaflo (expensive but worth it) and not gummi pledge. My mates e60 doors rattled like a snake, but after carbaflo its all gone!
my car was only a day old and they make noise, however after a week it went, i think it was just bedding in.

http://www.carbaflodirect.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

thanks for the replies

overall the car is great but its annoying when it is delivered with "niggles". still i spoke to the dealer today and they were excellent. they are going to drive a loaner to my house/office, take the new car away to be fixed and then deliver it back once done so can't argue with that really.

dazzapb do you think the carbaflo will help the whistling noise i hear around the a-pillar? someone else suggested to me that it might not be a problem with the wing mirror housing as such but might actually be the frameless door/windows not sealing correctly against the brand new seals? i did try lowering the window whilst it was whistling and to be honest you could still hear it so i think i'll see what the dealer says.

thanks for the tips on the rear parcel shelf....

and two more questions:

1. when i get some pics how can I upload them? the add image button seems to want you to point at a URL someplace, where do you guys host your car pics? any decent free sites?

2. any advice on running the engine in? dealer didn't really give any. on my last E60 i just took it easy for the first 1K miles and tried to vary the driving styles as much as possible between motorway/town driving. any recommendations like sticking below a certain rev range? or doesn't that make any difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
For adding pics use the "manage attatchments" button underneath the text entry window. "Browse" for the files and then "upload".

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 04:44 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
thanks for the replies

overall the car is great but its annoying when it is delivered with "niggles". still i spoke to the dealer today and they were excellent. they are going to drive a loaner to my house/office, take the new car away to be fixed and then deliver it back once done so can't argue with that really.

dazzapb do you think the carbaflo will help the whistling noise i hear around the a-pillar? someone else suggested to me that it might not be a problem with the wing mirror housing as such but might actually be the frameless door/windows not sealing correctly against the brand new seals? i did try lowering the window whilst it was whistling and to be honest you could still hear it so i think i'll see what the dealer says.

thanks for the tips on the rear parcel shelf....

and two more questions:

1. when i get some pics how can I upload them? the add image button seems to want you to point at a URL someplace, where do you guys host your car pics? any decent free sites?

2. any advice on running the engine in? dealer didn't really give any. on my last E60 i just took it easy for the first 1K miles and tried to vary the driving styles as much as possible between motorway/town driving. any recommendations like sticking below a certain rev range? or doesn't that make any difference?
Sorry for your niggles.

I don't think carbaflo is the answer to the noise from the door.

The door seals just shouldn't creak. The carbaflo issue is an old one from the e60's which creates a creak rather than a whistle and should not be a problem now on an e90 or e92. Let the dealer resolve it.

I think you are spot on for the run in, but the manual is more prescriptive.

Finally to add attachments use the button with the red + sign.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Northern,sorry to hear of your woes,but at least the stealer is on the ball,your right a £40k motor should have no probs Hope it all gets sorted

Why don't You ask them to stick the 272hp engine in it why its in(sorry i just had to)

Last edited by squeezebm; 08-13-2007 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
hope it gets sorted soon for you monkey!

use photobucket.com to host pics!

Carlos