E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Running in new car....

08-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Running in new car....

My E92 325i is arriving in a little over two weeks and I'm already thinking about the running in procedure.

No doubt the handbook will give a comprehensive running in procedure;
I'm expecting something along the lines of no WOT or exceeding 3000rpm for the first 500 miles, no WOT or exceeding 5000rpm for the following 300 miles, then gradually increase rpm's and throttle opening - something along those lines...

What are peoples thoughts on the procedure? (and was my guess at BMW's guidlines accurate?)

My last three new cars were not run in as per the handbook suggested. They were always treated with mechnical sympathy, allowed to warm properly etc, but the were all given full beans from new, with no mechanical nasty's occurring within the three years of ownership.

What are the benefits of following the running in procedure, rather than following my own "get in and drive the ass off of it from new" approach?

Did everyone here strictly follow the run-in procedure?

I'd appreciate peoples thoughts.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post

My last three new cars were not run in as per the handbook suggested. They were always treated with mechnical sympathy, allowed to warm properly etc, but the were all given full beans from new, with no mechanical nasty's occurring within the three years of ownership.
I do exactly this for any new cars that I have owned.

I always let the car warm up before excessive revving, but once warm - I drive it hard - even when its new.

I have never had any engine problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
mine was run in as per the manual...gently does it until after 800-1000 miles even then it didn't get trashed for another month or so..
However that first 1000 took from the last day of September until way into November. So my first 5000 was 95% in the dark on often wet and dirty country road no ideal for gunning it. (mmmm not looking forward to the fast approaching darker months).

So mine had an easy early life... now I see very good MPG figures.
Maybe the two are related?

I do think as long as the engine is warm a few extra revs over the cautious handbook approach should be Ok.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
My E92 325i is arriving in a little over two weeks and I'm already thinking about the running in procedure.

No doubt the handbook will give a comprehensive running in procedure;
I'm expecting something along the lines of no WOT or exceeding 3000rpm for the first 500 miles, no WOT or exceeding 5000rpm for the following 300 miles, then gradually increase rpm's and throttle opening - something along those lines...

What are peoples thoughts on the procedure? (and was my guess at BMW's guidlines accurate?)

What are the benefits of following the running in procedure, rather than following my own "get in and drive the ass off of it from new" approach?

Did everyone here strictly follow the run-in procedure?

I'd appreciate peoples thoughts.

i have always run in new engines properly although slightly harder than some people....

but now i think whats the point, after spending a few days at the docks... i have seen how they are treated... the staf there RAGG the fuck out of them.. yes thrash them with 0 miles on it and from cold thus rendering your loving and affectioante run in procedure pretty useless

i always wait till the car is upto temo before i drive hard but, for running in i think your wasting your time.. its already been hammered.

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Carlos - I'm not sure your running in at the docks story holds true though in engineering terms.

Isn't the point that you can rag it for 30 seconds from a ship to a truck but you can't rag it for the first 1000 miles?

The way I read the manual is that you are SUPPOSED to subject it to varying speeds, revs, etc. so in effect the guys at the dock are doing that to the extreme for presumably a very short period of time.

You aren't supposed to switch off your PC by holding in the power button until it dies, but the odd occasion ain't gonna kill it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Carlos - I'm not sure your running in at the docks story holds true though in engineering terms.

Isn't the point that you can rag it for 30 seconds from a ship to a truck but you can't rag it for the first 1000 miles?

The way I read the manual is that you are SUPPOSED to subject it to varying speeds, revs, etc. so in effect the guys at the dock are doing that to the extreme for presumably a very short period of time.

You aren't supposed to switch off your PC by holding in the power button until it dies, but the odd occasion ain't gonna kill it.
i know it wont kill it, im saying its rendering the running in process pointless

re-build an engine, and you can do for instance..

100 miles 2k
100miles 2.5k
100 miles 3k
100 miles 4k
100 miles 5k
etc etc

with varying loadings etc and vaying revs upto the stated above to run inthe cam and lifters, crank and shells nicely etc

if its been given 7k straight off (or 5k in the case of the diesel)

then the bearings have taken a wallop straiht away

would be pointless to do

100 miles 2k
100miles 2.5k
100 miles 3k
100 miles 4k
100 miles 5k
etc etc
after a flat out throttle to max revs right out of the box

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I don't accept that the 'running in' period is that important in term of the engine.

I can't remember the details, but it's something like - don't exceed 4000rpm or use full throttle for 2000 miles.

I largely ignored this, as I have in all my cars, with no ill effects.

However, what I did do was take it easy for the first 500 miles anyway because brand new tyres, brakes, clutch plates and othe moving parts also need to bed in.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
I was told by a Audi engineer that the whole running in process is a myth.
He told me that the best way to run a new car in is similar to how you 'bed' in a new girlfriend, - gently on the first date & then *uck her senseless henceforth.
Not sure if the above works however, as I generally treat a new car with kid gloves, as of course I would do a new girlfriend!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
He told me that the best way to run a new car in is similar to how you 'bed' in a new girlfriend, - gently on the first date & then *uck her senseless henceforth.
Just dont do her too well or you will never get rid of her
Appreciate 0