E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > BMW Handling - Old Pacific Highway

02-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
whmacs
Rep
Drives: E92 325i 6MT

BMW Handling - Old Pacific Highway

Hi All,
This post is probably only relevant to people living around the Sydney / Hunter Valley area, but I though it might be handy for others traveling through.

I've only had my 325i E92 6speed manual coupe for a couple of months. My two favorite features of the car are the 6 speed manual gearbox and the car's general handling ability.

Being based in Newcastle, I make regular trips to Sydney for work. This is via the F1 freeway. For those that don't know before the F1 was built the only way to get from Newcastle to Sydney was via the old pacific highway (highway 83). Using the term "highway" is way to much credit. One section is 30 km's of twisting winding single lane road up and down hills and around blind corners. Most corners in this section of road are marked 45km/h. It however is a very scenic drive through heavy bushland.

Last Wednesday I took the opportunity to take the old pacific highway on the return trip from Sydney. I got on the "highway" at around 3pm and for the next 30km it was sheer driving pleasure. Not once in that 30km stretch of road did I see another car. I'm not talking about speeding here (it is a dangerous road with lots of sharp bends), just keeping the car at 3500-4000 RPM and having it flow around the twists and turns without having to slow down due to lack of other vehicles was sheer driving pleasure! This type of road will really show off just how well BMW's handle given the opportunity. The car stuck to the road like glue and really did corner like it "was on rails".
My 325i E92 is standard with the exception that the runflat types have been replaced with performance tyres (265/35 Back, 235/40 Front R18's).

The handling of the BMW when pushed, reminded me of a off road 4WD course I did a few years back. The instructor stated that a good 4WD (with low range) could just about "climb a tree", but most people who own these vehicles never take them off road.

I would really encourage you to take your BMW for a drive up the old pacific highway, just to see how when the car handles a really twisty windy road. It's best to do the drive during the day mid week as weekends as busy due to lots of motor bikes enjoying the curves.

cheers,
Stephen
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Old PAC is an excellent stretch of road, I'm no stranger to it and if anyone is up for a run through the twisties around 7am on Sundays let me know
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I always take the Old PAC on my fortnightly trips to Newcastle
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
BMJOE
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

One for the Melb boys

Pic is of mountain HWY to the Basin just of the Mt Dandenong tourist drive, it's short but sweet and a very nice drive though state forest. Has some great corners, like mentioned above not one to speed on as they're short spaced and sharp. I go for a DS double lap up there twice a month.
Attached Images

02-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
mrtanz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade

Stu next sunday i am up for one
Pie in the sky lunch
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtanz View Post
Stu next sunday i am up for one
Pie in the sky lunch
I'm away next Sunday on the central coast but seeing as that is nearby Im sure we could figure something out!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Forget about cage driving, its boring as hell.

I just can't wipe the grin off my face every time I ride my motorbike around Royal National Park.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJOE View Post
Pic is of mountain HWY to the Basin just of the Mt Dandenong tourist drive, it's short but sweet and a very nice drive though state forest. Has some great corners, like mentioned above not one to speed on as they're short spaced and sharp. I go for a DS double lap up there twice a month.
Last time I was in Melb I specifically made an effort to drive out for a taste testing of this road... I was impressed to say the least!

Stu, let me know next time you go up OP H. I'm down.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
davidturnedge
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i Silver 6MT

Non RFTs you say? The RFTs are so bad I can't wait for mine to wear out and replace them with regular tyres.

Did you notice much of a difference (assuming you remember before and after on the RFTs)?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
mrtanz
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade

Since changing to Continental non RFT, i have noticed a massive difference in road noise, handling mainly.
Best thing i ever did

Stu will get in touch late next week
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Haydrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Old PAC is an excellent stretch of road, I'm no stranger to it and if anyone is up for a run through the twisties around 7am on Sundays let me know
Do you get alot of cyclist on that stretch on weekends? The royal national park is getting really crowed and dangerous with all these cyclist who take up the whole road... and they don't even pay rego for the road use! There - that's my Warnie rant!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydrick View Post
Do you get alot of cyclist on that stretch on weekends? The royal national park is getting really crowed and dangerous with all these cyclist who take up the whole road... and they don't even pay rego for the road use! There - that's my Warnie rant!
Yep sh1tloads of cyclists which is why I like to go early in the morning 6-8am... early in the morning means less chance of too
Appreciate 0