Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Spacers

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-17-2024, 11:25 AM   #1
M4c93
Rep
Drives: 135i

Spacers

Hey guys. So I have been having a problem. I lowered my car on extreme low bc coil overs. I got ecs 12.5 mm spacers all around for my car. I felt the wheel shake so I took it for an alignment. They told me it's the spacers and that the wheel is walking. I got hub rings for the car. It still didn't fit. I took it back to the mechanic to see if they can help me find spacers that will fit. They told me the ecs spacers that I had are the right size and that I should buy new ones and try again...... I don't want to buy the same spacers for it just to fail again. Do I need different size spacers since my wheels are staggered? Can you guys please help me find spacers that will fit.

I will post pics of the wheel dimensions and the car.

Thank you

Car- 08 e90 335i with sports package. (The pic of the car is with the 12.5 spacers attached.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 01:23 PM   #2
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

sounds like u need a new mechanic, did they do a suspension check? whats wheel walking-do they mean tension arm bushing shot? one thing i noticed with wheel spacers is it accentuates worn out suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:34 PM   #3
M4c93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i54n View Post
sounds like u need a new mechanic, did they do a suspension check? whats wheel walking-do they mean tension arm bushing shot? one thing i noticed with wheel spacers is it accentuates worn out suspension
I have no clue. I had a wheel shop check it out as well and they said they don't fit. They said there is alittle bit of play thats very slight around the hub. They said the wheels are bouncing around it. They said all the bolts and bushings are fine and tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 09:31 PM   #4
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

It wouldn't blow my mind to learn that the ECS house brand isn't the best.

It would be easy enough to verify for yourself if there's obvious play.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 01:26 AM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Spacers always cause vibrations on these cars. I’ve had probably 20 sets over the years and not even one of them was 100% vibration free. Different torque sequences etc. might get it so mi minor that I could convince myself for a few weeks it was gone but I always knew in the back of my head it was still there. I’d always be slowly turning the wheel back and forth while driving to see if I could feel it, trying to persuade myself. Then I’d take them off and it was night and day better. I’ve had multiple sets of BMS, turner, VRSF, renn Motorsport, macht schnell. Not one of them ever was completely smooth. 10/10 times, take them off, it’s smooth.

You can try another brand but the result will be the same. There really isn’t much to a spacer as long as it’s hub centric and doesn’t have the infamous 10mm hub interference issue
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:24 PM   #6
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Interesting. I haven't noticed any issues with my Apex spacers, but I'll be keeping a close eye after I get new tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:23 PM   #7
M4c93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Spacers always cause vibrations on these cars. I’ve had probably 20 sets over the years and not even one of them was 100% vibration free. Different torque sequences etc. might get it so mi minor that I could convince myself for a few weeks it was gone but I always knew in the back of my head it was still there. I’d always be slowly turning the wheel back and forth while driving to see if I could feel it, trying to persuade myself. Then I’d take them off and it was night and day better. I’ve had multiple sets of BMS, turner, VRSF, renn Motorsport, macht schnell. Not one of them ever was completely smooth. 10/10 times, take them off, it’s smooth.

You can try another brand but the result will be the same. There really isn’t much to a spacer as long as it’s hub centric and doesn’t have the infamous 10mm hub interference issue
I don't care about vibration. I was just nervous because one mechanic told me it's dangerous to drive on but the wheel shop told me that I should be fine.
Appreciate 0