E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > long start? engine service on and then some

01-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep
Drives: 07 328i, #358 metrobus

long start? engine service on and then some

so just few moments ago, i started mycar. it was very unusual because it was a long crank before it started. Before it takes like 1 second to start the car but just now, it went into 3 or 4 second kchachachachachachachachachacha before it finaly fired up. I tried it twice and it did that again.

car:
2007 328i sulev AT

i checked the mileage due for those symbols and its thousands of miles away (or years away)

any ideas?

Last edited by watabaotnao; 01-12-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I know this is not very helpful, but definitely check the owner's manual. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep

ye the manual's pretty much useless

but i found this though
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=dsc+unit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=dsc+fail

could it be...? :S failed DSC unit :S??

how much this days? ive been reading some UK section and they said it got bumped down from 1400 pound to 400-600 pound...
how bout here in the US? how much does this common failure cost to fix?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Should be three fuses behind the glovebox and another fuse (or more?) on top of the battery depending on year for the DSC, start with checking the fuses. Then probably check if any of the sensors are loose or defective...which is kinda involved and you'll need a manual. Get an OBDII or take it to an autoparts store that will read engine codes for you free of charge and see what codes the car has. But, yeah...all those symbols are related to the DSC. I'd guess you can drive the car, you're just not gonna have ABS or traction control. Also, not sure it would have anything to do with long cranking.

Last edited by Casca; 01-05-2011 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

OP: After thinking about it, maybe your wheel sensors are dirty?
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep

ok i'll check for those fuses. i called the stealer to ask about the warnings and she was like "ok i'll ask a service representative please hang on the line". then she hanged up! what the hells?

anyways i'll try cleaning the wheel sensors. how do they look like? i cleaned my car wheels a few times but never clean/touch anything inside the wheels/brake area itself. would a power washing inside the wheels do the trick? but that doesn't explain the long crank when starting up the car though?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
watabaotnao
Second Lieutenant
Somaliland
Rep

so apparently... it was a wiring harness damage caused by rodents. Them disease carrying mice and squirrels and such were chewing on my wires! rodent turds on my engine bay they said. wiring harness needs replacing(if unfixable)
Appreciate 0