E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo Replacement help please

08-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 AW Saddle, Spt, Prem

Turbo Replacement help please

Hi Guys,
Been a while since I posted. Was laid off 15 months ago and I've been scraping since. I have an interview Wednesday. 100 original applicants I'm down to the final three. Wish me luck. My car has leaky wastegates and 168k miles now so no warranty even though I've been complaining for well over 100k, so now if I get the job I will need to replace the turbo setup. I want to keep the car for another 100k so I can catch up on bills, etc. and with such high miles I don't want to dump a ton of cash into it.

I saw the Rob Beck and Vishnu options. I'm leaning RB because of the lower cost. If it was 100k ago I would definitely be more willing to drop the $10k. What other options are out there if any. Last time I checked there wasn't any and it was $5500 installed for OEM. Also, would the Vishnu option put too much strain on the motor and other components with this many miles. I really like the extra power but want to minimize the costs on the upgrade. But if its that big a difference in 0-60 etc I could be swayed for the extra coin.

Finally, I see Meth and other upgrades that weren't available. I want to do everything now and be done with it instead of continuous tinkering so what other items should I consider when I do the swap, what do they add, cost, etc. Nothing that will reduce the longevity of the motor like NOs.

Thanks for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

No other options? Also, what mods if any need to be done to use e85?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

If you turbos are going south, you can find cheap OEM replacements either on ebay or i think they run $633 a piece on getbmwparts.com. For install definitely go to Precision Sport Industries (PSI) in Winter Park. MUch cheaper than the dealership and they know what they are doing much more than the techs at Fields.

RBs are the next best option, then Vishnu at the best (powerwise). There is a considerable difference in price. Also, either of these options would be somewhat wasted if you don't have the supporting mods (i.e. DPs, exhaust, FMIC, meth). Tune is an obvious must have for either option.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
V-Viper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I just stuck on the "168k miles" on an 08. Any other major issues with the car? Im only at 60k and have had my fair share (fuel pumps, value cover+oil filter housing leaks), I'm afraid to ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
wait, you're "scraping by" and "trying to catch up on bills," but you're considering spending $10k on the Vishnu single turbo kit?
      08-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem
wait, you're "scraping by" and "trying to catch up on bills," but you're considering spending $10k on the Vishnu single turbo kit?
I was just going to say....

Dude, I hate to sound like the naggy parent here, but get your priorities straight man. As long as the car runs then leave it be until you save more $$. An 08 335i with that many miles I would sell and pick up a new ride and then work on it.

In any case surviving without scraping by is 1st in my books. I feel like you haven't hit rock bottom, maybe that's why you wanna spend more?

Anyways, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
^+1. With all due respect, please do not even consider the Vishnu single turbo kit. We are all trying to help man. I say get a pair of OEMs for $650 each when the car absolutely needs it. If its still getting you from point A to point B leave it alone for now. Good luck in your interview.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Viper View Post
I just stuck on the "168k miles" on an 08. Any other major issues with the car? Im only at 60k and have had my fair share (fuel pumps, value cover+oil filter housing leaks), I'm afraid to ask.
LOL Yup. Most of that was before I lost my job. Hit 168,750 today. I've had oil changes, brakes 4 times, rotors twice, 2 fogs, 3 halos, 5 fuel pumps, both rear wheel bearings, been rear ended twice, clipped in the front side while parked, bent a front swing arm on a pot hole, 6 sets of tires, 4 sets of wheels, one wiper arm bolt cover replaced, gas cap cord snap. The waistgates are so bad that even with the JB3 I can blow away the BMW with the Armada so I think I have basically no pressure left. That about covers it lol.

Last edited by 92tripleblack; 08-27-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
If you turbos are going south, you can find cheap OEM replacements either on ebay or i think they run $633 a piece on getbmwparts.com. For install definitely go to Precision Sport Industries (PSI) in Winter Park. MUch cheaper than the dealership and they know what they are doing much more than the techs at Fields.

RBs are the next best option, then Vishnu at the best (powerwise). There is a considerable difference in price. Also, either of these options would be somewhat wasted if you don't have the supporting mods (i.e. DPs, exhaust, FMIC, meth). Tune is an obvious must have for either option.
PSI is who I always use. Friends on a first name basis.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

As for the surviving, $10k is not a big deal if I get the job. I was making $320,000, down to zero. Had the bills to match the income but had savings and changed lifestyle to stay afloat. If I get the job, then I'm back making bank. If I don't, I'm not doing anything. I just don't want to put too much cashish into an old car if it isn't going to pay off with extra bang and instead i would do something else with it. But if I do get the job the car is the work vehicle, and will need to be fixed, and 6 months from now I don't want to go back and regret not getting the single and blow an additional $10k then.

I'm a HP junkie first and my next car after this one is dead will go 0-60 in under 3.5 and quarter in the 11s. I've always been wanting more from it and if the single had been out two years ago I would have had it.

But the real question I had was is this the only two other options. The OEM being that cheap is tempting but I had waistgate problems at 20k and I want to avoid that again and they won't be warrantied so I'm leaning R&B for now and save the cash for something bigger next time. Considering the New Shelby GT500, Nissan GT-R, Caddie CTS-V, and similar.

But bottomline thanks so far for the good sage advice and info. Much appreciated and wish me luck. My profession, financial wholesaler, has a 40% unemployment rate right now so the good thoughts are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Supra98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Honestly, i'd go with stock replacements and/or save the money for the next car.
Have a question, i know you stated the maintenance you did but did you ever change things like the trans fluid or rear diff oil?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92tripleblack View Post
The OEM being that cheap is tempting but I had waistgate problems at 20k :
I think the newer oem turbos have upgraded wastegate actuator arms that address the rattle
      08-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
I think the newer oem turbos have upgraded wastegate actuator arms that address the rattle
That would be cool. They said my current ones had an adjustment to increase them closing but it was at full adjustment and still not closing. Hmmm.

Get Oem and get new car in 6-12 months,
Get RB and drive it for two years,
Get Vishnu and all other upgrades and drive it till it pops,
or don't get hired and get nothing.

Probably do option one or two if I'm lucky enough to get employed again.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra98 View Post
Honestly, i'd go with stock replacements and/or save the money for the next car.
Have a question, i know you stated the maintenance you did but did you ever change things like the trans fluid or rear diff oil?

If its in the BMW maintainence schedule, it was done. I did full everything at the dealer, the one in Lakeland as was mentioned above the Winter Park guys are monkeys, when I was employed, and haven't put more than 5k on the car in past 15 months. Honest, I don't know. I just said if BMW says do it, then do it here's my card. Had PSI clean my computer of JB3 codes while it was under warranty, some tires, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That would be cool. They said my current ones had an adjustment to increase them closing but it was at full adjustment and still not closing. Hmmm.

Get Oem and get new car in 6-12 months,
Get RB and drive it for two years,
Get Vishnu and all other upgrades and drive it till it pops,
or don't get hired and get nothing.

Probably do option one or two if I'm lucky enough to get employed again.
Looking at your sig...Are you just running JB3? Moving to a 500+ single turbo kit on a car with 168k miles and an uncertain income stream doesn't seem like the most prudent move to me, but that's just my opinion. Sounds like you need reliability, not a 10.5 sec 1/4 mi. I would do the oem or RBs and be done with it. Save the money and buy a F83 M4 vert in a few years after the economy improves. You can always wrench on that.
      08-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Quote:
I was making $320,000
What line of work are you in?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
Looking at your sig...Are you just running JB3? Moving to a 500+ single turbo kit on a car with 168k miles and an uncertain income stream doesn't seem like the most prudent move to me, but that's just my opinion. Sounds like you need reliability, not a 10.5 sec 1/4 mi. I would do the oem or RBs and be done with it. Save the money and buy a F83 M4 vert in a few years after the economy improves. You can always wrench on that.
Yeah, I guess I agree. If I could get mid 400s hp for the $3k over OEM then it might be worth the extra coin. If not I'll probably go OEM and get something I can beast later. Not doing anything unless I can get the job, which typically has a guarantee income stream contract for a year and should be secure job wise. Been doing this gig for 10 years and this has happened twice before but been able to pick something up within 2 months in the past. With the way the current admin is running the economy its killed my field but the company I'm talking to is growing, not shrinking, so it should be fairly stable.M4 sounds nice but if I'm not in the mid 11s I'm not interested. Swapped out of a vette to the e93 and its always felt slow and with the amount of driving I do for work it sucks not to have a car that makes you smile. I was mostly wondering if there was anything else besides OEM, RB, and Vishnu. Thought there might've been two or three more aftermarket options out there, like a cheaper single for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
What line of work are you in?
I was an external wholesaler of mutual funds for a top 15 MF company. Despite what rep people are trying to put on financal/bank/wall street people, it is a noble profession as well as profitable to be in, like a doctor for your financial or retirement health. That's how I approach it. I help people achieve and maintain their standard of living in retirement while taking as minimal risk as necessary and acceptable to the investor. The position pays a base salary and 0.25% commissin of what you sell I was selling $100 million+ a year and helped a lot of people avoid al lot of pain and hardship. Took me 7 years of paying dues working a cubical making less than my friends to get there after working full time for 9 1/2 years paying my way through college to get my bachelors degree.

Last edited by 92tripleblack; 08-27-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

I'd go with RBs and a new set of coilovers. Possibly replace the rear subframe bushings. Do a complete fluid change on transmission, differential, radiator, brake fluid and engine oil. Should feel brand new.

Or go stock and wait for next gen M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I guess I agree. If I could get mid 400s hp for the $3k over OEM
You can get into the mid 400s easily now with with stock turbos and no methanol. Can you get E85 by you? Just replace your stock turbos, get the procede flex fuel kit along with the DME flash, and run a mix of 93 octane/E85 and Bob's your uncle.

See here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735589

Quote:
Thought there might've been two or three more aftermarket options out there, like a cheaper single for example.
I'm pretty sure Vishnu is the only single option right now, hence the price. In time they'll be others at lower price points. But there are other options for twins...ASR for example...just do some combing of this board...
      08-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #21
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

If your gonna make anything near what u used to make get the single and be done with it believe it or not it will be more reliable in the whole engine turbo area you still gotta worry about water pumps fuel pumps and such but turbo and engine will thank u you good luck

Irub
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
92tripleblack
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. Ok, here's the plan assuming I get the job. Replace turbos with RB. Add Procede Rev3 with 2-Step Rev Limit/NLS Kit and with Flex Fuel System and DME opton. Add BMS downpipes with downpipe fix and hardware and DCI. Check with BMW and change any fluids not changed. Inspect bushings in suspension and replace as needed. Have PSI do the install. $5,000 in parts plus labor. Should get me moving pretty good, fix the problems, and let me drive her another 100k or so, 2 yrs? Did i miss anything? I'm gonna skip the single option and when she dies then take a lay of the land of what's out there and what the fiscal situation is and go from there. Maybe a used 2013 Shelby GT 500 or 2011 Nissan GT-R or M3.

Opinions? I don't want to start a posting battle, just want to know if I blatantly missed something, something is or isn't necessary or compatible, and what kind of realistic gains I can expect. I do have access to an E85 pump 5 miles from my house. And I don't want too much additional noise. I drive it too much and use it for work so I was planning on sticking with stock exhaust minus cats.
Thx

Last edited by 92tripleblack; 08-28-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0