E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > If you guys have a motorcycle

07-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

If you guys have a motorcycle

be careful. please. and thank you.
one of my good friends was in a wreck yesterday after leaving my store. he is in critical condition, in a "stable coma". im not smart enough to comprehend the state he is in, or whats gonna happen. if any of you guys have any stories that can teach me, or make me feel better, i would appreciate it.
The nurse said "she doesnt expect him to wake for at least 2 to 3 days" but what are the chances he never wakes at all? if its "stable" can it all of a sudden get worse? or can it only stay the same or get better. im real sad. i dont understand.
i told him to take my car....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I feel bad for your friend. My prayers are with him. I've lost a friend or two to motorcycle accidents, and it's a very sad thing to deal with emotionally.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
SiR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i, E92 335i

I only hope that best for him. One large reason in why I sold my motorcycle. If you don't mind me asking, at what location did it happen?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
most of the bikers i see dont really bike carefully... they're always weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating bumpers until they can make a move. i'm not trying to say your friend is a jackass or anything but hopefully he didn't cause his own accident cause that would really suck. i'm sure alot of car drivers find it irritating to see bikers right next to them because one slip could cause a huge accident you kno what i mean?

anyways, i hope your friend gets a second chance & wakes up... and i'm very sorry for his misfortune.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

hope your friend gets better soon. thats really sad. and i kinda want to get a bike.
      07-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
cdheaven
Rep

thanks guys. it happened in downtown ft. lauderdale. the other car involved was a 16 year old. im not really sure whos fault it was yet. i see what you are saying about bikers driving wrecklessly, but being that the other driver was 16, who knows who was driving carelessly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Sorry to hear

Regardless of how responsible each party is, I think that being on a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. I hope that he recovers well. Coma situations are hard to tell, and often there are other factors involved, like patients needing to stay sedated in order to keep them from fighting the ventilator.

If you're visiting him, don't hesitate to talk to him. Even though it might not seem that way, patients can somehow sense this on some level, I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
cdheaven
Rep

hey, i wanna talk to him, but his family is always in there. if i can get a few minutes alone with him i will definitly talk to him. i dont understand the coma thing, like i said a few times, but the nurse mentioned that because of the ventalitor, they dont expect him to wake for 2-3 days, but she didnt mention if it was drug induced.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
cdheaven
Rep

my friend passed today. last night at 4 his tempature started to rise, his heart rate went to about 190. but his heart wasnt pumping the blood. they took him off life support today while i was there. they are donating all his organs. this is definitly the closest friend of mine to pass. and im bummed. im happy that he is saving lifes with his organs. thats probably the best thing a person can do.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Sorry to hear man. He's Home now, so in that, I rejoice.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Sorry for your loss.

I got my motorcycle permit yesterday, but I didn't sign up for being a donor. No way, they are taking me off of life support to collect my organs.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Sorry to hear about his unfortunate accident.

I do ride, though not regularly much anymore. Even if you are very responsible, you cant control other people. Many times, other drivers just dont see motorcyclists because they are too lazy to look over their shoulder, or just flat out arent paying attention...

I had a few close calls that were no fault of my own. The DC Metro area is just too insane, and no one knows how to drive around here, so I dont ride around here...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Sorry to hear about his unfortunate accident.

I do ride, though not regularly much anymore. Even if you are very responsible, you cant control other people. Many times, other drivers just dont see motorcyclists because they are too lazy to look over their shoulder, or just flat out arent paying attention...

I had a few close calls that were no fault of my own. The DC Metro area is just too insane, and no one knows how to drive around here, so I dont ride around here...
This guy on a motorcyle cut in front of me from the shoulder! I didn't see him because he came up so fast, and by the time I heard him, I almost hit him!

We have a lot of riders who only wear a helmet and gloves around here...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm sorry about your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your friends family.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Sorry for your loss. That really sucks. I guess it might be better than coming out of a coma into a permanently very low functioning state. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 11:05 PM   #16
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

sorry to hear about that.
      07-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #17
cdheaven
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Sorry for your loss.

I got my motorcycle permit yesterday, but I didn't sign up for being a donor. No way, they are taking me off of life support to collect my organs.
umm. the ONLY thing that came out of this wholeee situation, the only thing that makes me feel a slightly bit better, is that multiple people are gonna have their lives saved...
think about what you are doing. i thought it was soon for them to take him off life support. but well trained professionals decided there was nothing that could be done. so his family did the right thing.
think about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #18
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
umm. the ONLY thing that came out of this wholeee situation, the only thing that makes me feel a slightly bit better, is that multiple people are gonna have their lives saved...
think about what you are doing. i thought it was soon for them to take him off life support. but well trained professionals decided there was nothing that could be done. so his family did the right thing.
think about it.
I have thought about it, and decided that these well-trained professionals would be more apt to say "nothing could be done", if they saw that I were a donor. Not saying that they do, but nothing's going to change my mindset.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 11:25 PM   #19
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

That's really sad, I'm sorry. I don't know if he was wearing a helmet or not but either way it should definitely be a law in Florida. I remember when I was coming back from South Beach last year traffic came to a hault on 95 and then I saw a police car and I looked over and I saw a dead motorcyclist on the side of the road. Ever since then I can't get over how unsafe they are and I would never want anyone I know riding one.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #20
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
I'm sorry for your loss cdheaven. How old was he?

My brother had a bike but after many disagreements with his wife he gave in and sold it. My brother in law attends bike week each year in Florida and my dad owned one many years ago. So even though bikes were around I never gained much interest in owning one.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #21
cdheaven
Rep

he was 22. he was wearing a helmit, but with no chin strap. so it flew off right away. totally pointless.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #22
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
cdheaven, I am really sorry for your loss of your good friend. I have been riding for about 4 years now, and have to say living in an urban area (chicago) and owning a motorcycle is like playing russian roulette. You know that something bad is going to happen, it's just a matter of time. I had a 04 GSXR 750, but it was easy to do stupid things on it, like racing dodge vipers on the highway (easy to do when 1st gear takes you up to 84mph!)...but then I calmed down after hearing many people like you share their stories. Last april, I too was in a motorcycle accident. A car made a left turn in front of me at an intersection while I had a green light. I couldn't see the car because SUV's were to the left and in front of me. I broke my collerbone, shoulder, and messed up my knee, finger and had a whole lot of bruises---couldn't go back to work for 5 weeks--bike was totalled because the sub frame was shattered after the bike hit the car, then the high curb and finally wedged itself under another car. I bought another bike, this time a yamaha warrior and told myself that I will try better at paying attention to other people's faults, but that is impossible all the time. Last month I saw a driver in a car blow a red light like 10 seconds after it was red and t bone another car. That and after the time my 330 was totalled after a driver blew a stop, I said to hell with motorcycles. It's up for sale now. Sorry for the long story, but just wanted to say no matter how safe you ride, or how aware you are of your surroundings...if you ride long enough in an urban area, you will go down. I just hope for all of you riders that "your time" will be something small and not serious.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0