E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Concentric grooves on rotor

09-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
Virtualshock
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

Concentric grooves on rotor

Hi -- I've got a 2010 328 xdrive coupe with about 4k miles on it. In the last two weeks, the left-front rotor developed a pair of concentric grooves inside of the area that comes into contact with the brake pads. (I assume they are grooves because it looks like rust has formed). They don't feel very deep if I slide my finger across, but I wanted to get some opinions on whether this warrants a trip to the dealer to have looked at. Any thoughts on what may be the cause?

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Looks like a small stone got caught in the pad for a bit. The stone is probably gone by now. I'd do a couple of reverse stops to be sure, then keep an eye on it. All BMW will do is tell you to leave it as is, or suggest a front end brake job at your expense (this is not normal wear covered by the pre-paid free maintenance program). I'd leave it be unless there is an excessive noise coming from the brake which would indicate a more serious problem. One last thing, in a clear area with no traffic, take your hands off the steering wheel and moderately apply the brakes and see if the car pulls to one side or the other. If it brakes straight then there is no issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Looks like a small stone got caught in the pad for a bit. The stone is probably gone by now. I'd do a couple of reverse stops to be sure, then keep an eye on it. All BMW will do is tell you to leave it as is, or suggest a front end brake job at your expense (this is not normal wear covered by the pre-paid free maintenance program). I'd leave it be unless there is an excessive noise coming from the brake which would indicate a more serious problem. One last thing, in a clear area with no traffic, take your hands off the steering wheel and moderately apply the brakes and see if the car pulls to one side or the other. If it brakes straight then there is no issue.
+1, Drive more..worry less.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
+1, Drive more..worry less.
+100 This goes for a lot of threads on this forum!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
jon328i
Wheelmaster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39, S209, VB-WRX

i have the same issue with my front left rotors, at 800 miles, i have like 5-6 grooves, my brakes does not make noise at all and functions well, i just let it be, worry less and drive more.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
I got one of those and left my car in the garage for 3 weeks...too worried over here. goona find a cheap BBK.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

I wouldn't worry about the grooves. By now your pads have also developed grooves to mesh with the rotor - or at least I would think they would have.

If nothing else the rotor will act like a slotted rotor - expelling gas from the breaking action. Heh...maybe.