E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Sac valley member chat thread

02-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #3411
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9A1L1L View Post
Also If you got the JB4 G5 which is the only way to go, it already includes the DP fix in it so no need to worry about it.
Actually your not completely right. The jb4 clears the codes that the DP's would create. It basically clears them the instant they appear which would be considered a DP fix; however, in order to pass smog that's not the true DP fix. The true DP fix that they sell separately was made to simulate the original DP's. This is good for smog or trips to the Dealer but nothing more. Simulating cats that aren't there could mess up the car in the long run (if you keep it on full time) which is why people suggest installing them and removing the DP fix soon after you smoged the car or for what reason you decided that you needed them.

You won't ever be able to pass smog with JB4's auto code clear. If you keep that on your car will never make readiness and thats why you can't pass smog. It takes about 60-100 miles for your car to make readiness. So if your jb4 keeps resetting the codes as soon as they pop up you'll never be ready for smog and will fail the OBD test right away.

Thats what the DP fix was created for. Its to simulate the cats and stop the computer from creating that code allowing you to smog the car.

Just wanted to clear this up if you didn't already know this.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #3412
SacTownN54
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Convertible

Thanks buster. That is how I understood it and somewhere on here or n54tuning Terry posted the exact same explanation. I know most shops still do the sniffer but I'm hoping that in two years when I have to smog the car more places will be obd port only. But what about the visual? Of course I would put the stock air box back on, but is it realistic to expect the smogger to miss the catless dp's? I just don't want to spend the time, money, and effort to put in the DP's and dp fix if I'm going to fail anyway because of the visual. I understand the whole pay to play philosophy, but I'm just looking for anyone with personal experience on this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #3413
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownN54 View Post
Thanks buster. That is how I understood it and somewhere on here or n54tuning Terry posted the exact same explanation. I know most shops still do the sniffer but I'm hoping that in two years when I have to smog the car more places will be obd port only. But what about the visual? Of course I would put the stock air box back on, but is it realistic to expect the smogger to miss the catless dp's? I just don't want to spend the time, money, and effort to put in the DP's and dp fix if I'm going to fail anyway because of the visual. I understand the whole pay to play philosophy, but I'm just looking for anyone with personal experience on this point.
Vince just said he did a smog without the sniffer, I'm still waiting to hear the location of this good mystery spot lol. I thought about DP's as well and i still can't stop wondering about them lol. My smog is in August but I'm planing to move to Florida or MA this summer (depends on what school my gf gets into). With florida i heard its easy to run them, not sure about MA. Although now with CA skipping the sniffer its even easier.

As for the visual unless the smog shop has a rack or drives you up off the ground they won't be able to notice the difference between catless DP's and stock DP's. Just pick a shop that does smog on the ground and doesn't drive up on a rack system that lifts the car up to make it easier for visual inspections.

As for the air box, that has to be back on for smog so don't sell that. The intercooler swap won't matter since the smog shop can't tell the difference between aftermarket and oem.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #3414
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
+1 on bob, just tell him Vince or Eric recommended. he is a very nice SA.

i can't tell you my price, mine was done 2.5 years ago and it was MUCH lower than 425 from Bob's hook up
i got the same price!!

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #3415
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Where did you do this? Last year i called all over and couldn't find anyone who didn't do the sniffer! Maybe things just changed recently...
SMOG N' GO
1300 Prairie City Rd
Folsom, CA 95630

they are in Beta testing. they also have the in ground dyno for us low guys. but didn't need it for the OBDII.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #3416
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Its rated at around 114-117 but its usable rating is actually 105. I have been using E85 for what feel like a decade or so. Sac RARELY gets the E70 mix.. I have only seen it once and it was a test run. Other than that its just not cold enough here on average. Also with the JB4 it doesn't matter, it will auto tune for you all on its own. Also when I saying E50/E60, those represent a mix of fuel. E60 is roughly 50/50 (Our gas already contains 10% E85) but thats a bit of a stretch off the bat so add about 4 gallons to a full tank or so and call it a day.

Also If you got the JB4 G5 which is the only way to go, it already includes the DP fix in it so no need to worry about it. I have also heard of one guy passing smog with DPs but he was vague about it. Intercooler gains are minimal outside of summer DP gains are massive. And the DPs sit under the shield.. They aren't going to see them in a smog check unless they put you on a lift.

If you wanna make some power with this thing definitely head over to N54Tech and B*mmerBoost, dive in and research your butt off.. Everything is there for you to pick at, the fastest cars, the best results. The Pros and the Cons. These cars can be decently quick with minimal done to them IF you do it right.
Correction if i read your post correctly: (to my knowledge)

E85 is 105 RON which is the Octane fuel standard in Europe.

In USA our value is Ron+MON/2 = AKI (Anti Knock Index) you will see this on the pump R+M/2. That is how we get the rating of our Octane. Take both standards and divide by 2. So E85 is +- 96 AKI. So to compare apples to apples we have to use 96 AKI for E85. or use the 91 AKI value of RON to compare to 105 RON E85. not sure what that is though.

91 AKI fuel can contain up to 10% Ethanol not 10% E85.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #3417
C9A1L1L
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Actually your not completely right. The jb4 clears the codes that the DP's would create. It basically clears them the instant they appear which would be considered a DP fix; however, in order to pass smog that's not the true DP fix. The true DP fix that they sell separately was made to simulate the original DP's. This is good for smog or trips to the Dealer but nothing more. Simulating cats that aren't there could mess up the car in the long run (if you keep it on full time) which is why people suggest installing them and removing the DP fix soon after you smoged the car or for what reason you decided that you needed them.

You won't ever be able to pass smog with JB4's auto code clear. If you keep that on your car will never make readiness and thats why you can't pass smog. It takes about 60-100 miles for your car to make readiness. So if your jb4 keeps resetting the codes as soon as they pop up you'll never be ready for smog and will fail the OBD test right away.

Thats what the DP fix was created for. Its to simulate the cats and stop the computer from creating that code allowing you to smog the car.

Just wanted to clear this up if you didn't already know this.

I passed just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #3418
C9A1L1L
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Correction if i read your post correctly: (to my knowledge)

E85 is 105 RON which is the Octane fuel standard in Europe.

In USA our value is Ron+MON/2 = AKI (Anti Knock Index) you will see this on the pump R+M/2. That is how we get the rating of our Octane. Take both standards and divide by 2. So E85 is +- 96 AKI. So to compare apples to apples we have to use 96 AKI for E85. or use the 91 AKI value of RON to compare to 105 RON E85. not sure what that is though.

91 AKI fuel can contain up to 10% Ethanol not 10% E85.
Typo on the E85 portion but thats easy to understand considering the way I worded it.

As far as the octane rating use we have adopted the 105 simply as a better reference. At the end of the day its pointless since it doesn't truly signify the performance capabilities of the fuel itself. It doesn't behave anything like 96 octane fuel thus using an exacting octane conversion is far from apples to apples. Its a predominantly alcoholic fuel, Its apples to oranges no mater how you do it. As mentioned before it performs on par with C16 and in FI situations we have pulled even more power out of it due to the cooling properties. Pretty cool stuff at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #3419
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I passed just fine.
Wait you passed smog with Catless Downpipes and using Just the JB4?? No seperate bms fix on the downpipes them self right?

Did you have the sniffer as well? How did the car pass with just the two rear high flow cats? It must have been close to the legal limits I'm assuming.

If you passed without the bms fix then you must have been lucky and went in during the right time (which isn't something you can time) The codes pop up randomly and could take another 100k to pop back up after being cleared out. So its possible that you drove 75-100 miles after the code cleared and went in just in as the car hit readiness.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #3420
Gamma6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
hahaha yea i got pretty much all stuff needed to worry about replaced. so my car should be worry free for another 50k miles at least, except regular maint. im pretty dead set to keep my car now. nothing really wrong with it and i MAY plan to de-mod some exterior mod. i already took out the roof spoiler and sold it. next... maybe take off the front lip... i also ripped the yellow stickers on the wheels.
Wow. I saw u today around noon and it took me a second look to realize it was you. Atleast i think it was. Your car looks less aggressive now. Those yellow stickers made those wheels pop.

And thanks for the suggestion on eg niello guys but will there be any issues with my mods and the dealer? I have no warranty so idk if im modded matters?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #3421
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb View Post
Sad to see you go Vince but I understand. I'm at 135k right now. Just checked KBB. Only valued at 11.8k! Lol. Of course, I have some mods but that doesn't really move the price needle. I will surely keep her because there is no point to sell. To keep her functional, I don't plan to wring any more performance out of her. Too costly. I'll just stick to my conservative 14psi OTS map.

It's funny how we are all thinking about something more practical. I've been eyeing a new SUV... Maybe the Explorer. Kinda digging the look and functionality.
whatsup with ur ML Dan? did you retire that too?
to me, it's to the point i should step out this game until a few years later. i had fun since my first day but i feel i have much more other important stuff to do and enjoy at the moment. not to mention our 2nd one is on the way, expected in late July. there's nothing wrong with my car and being a 4dr, it makes life easier to carry kids around. but something NOT mod friendly, practical, has a big ass trunk will do a much better work.

i actually found an Audi C5 S6 Avant already with very low miles. almost pulled the trigger, but wife thinks i should keep my car instead. im not 100% need to sell mine and get a wagon, it was an option to me. if Mrs. wants me to keep it, i don't mind to do so. well, put it this way, i can toss my kids in the back and let them have some fun, how's that?
What's up Eric!

The ex still drives the ML. I drive the 335i. I'd like to get a larger, more practical yet not too costly 7 passenger SUV. I think I've narrowed it down to the honda pilot or ford explorer.

I know I'll get one eventually. Just trying to decide if I do that first or a new home. New home makes the most sense so I'll likely drag my feet and get the ride next year...

I like your idea of an Audi. I think my next move will be a sporty 5 seat sedan. A little more room would be nice too!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #3422
harkirath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

I'd go with the home if I were you. prices going up so it's time to jump in now.

I've also heard too many stories where someone bought a car and then couldn't buy a house due to payments for that car.
      02-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #3423
SINGH_
N54 E92
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Do you sac guys ever hit sac raceway? new to the scene, last car was a lsx Chevelle.

I took my car bone stock/run flats a few months ago, ran a 13.7 with a bad 60 foot (cold night? new to the car? wasn't all that impressed). Looking to do better... add some mods. Looking to head back out once I finish up my meth install.

Hopefully I can shave at least 0.8 off of stock and be in the 12s (same run flats). My brothers out there alot, black '01 camaro ss (run's mid to high 11s on 4psi).

Light Bolt-ons, Tunes, & Methanol Injection:
12.30 @ 115mph [2.0 60ft on Street Tires] [91 Octane]
1.59 Seconds Faster than Stock [as of 05/29/2014]
Previous Vehicle: '65 Chevelle [LSx 6.0L/4L80e]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #3424
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma6 View Post
Wow. I saw u today around noon and it took me a second look to realize it was you. Atleast i think it was. Your car looks less aggressive now. Those yellow stickers made those wheels pop.

And thanks for the suggestion on eg niello guys but will there be any issues with my mods and the dealer? I have no warranty so idk if im modded matters?
oh... that was you! hahahaha i was heading home from picking up lunch on Truxel and i did see a blk e90 with LM wheels running across my eyes. it caught my attention cuz your vanguard exhaust, LM wheels, nice stance and the nice CSL trunk

yea i wanna make my car less flashy and ripped off the yellow Volks decals definitely did the work well. at least it is not as attractive to damn CHP... which i got a ticket back in a few months ago while i was traveling 70 and there were cars passing me and i got wrote up for a 80... those damn CHP..

mod wouldn't make a difference since no warranty. i just took mine in 2 weeks ago for new valve cover, and all new gaskets done. i left all mods in with my E50 tune, LOL. i wondered if they ever took it out for a test drive after the repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #3425
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i wondered if they ever took it out for a test drive after the repair.
Do what i did and buy a dash cam lol. I have them in both the 335 and the x5 now. They record when i drive and record anytime someone walks in front of the car. It's also proof if the guy at the dealer goes to fast ect... since it displays gps and speed into the video file.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #3426
harkirath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90

I was driving the car last week and it was fine. stopped and went into a store. when I came out and started driving again, I got a right rear turn signal malfunction.

Later in the day, it was no longer there and hasn't been seen since.

Just a minor glitch?
      02-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #3427
Gamma6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
oh... that was you! hahahaha i was heading home from picking up lunch on Truxel and i did see a blk e90 with LM wheels running across my eyes. it caught my attention cuz your vanguard exhaust, LM wheels, nice stance and the nice CSL trunk

yea i wanna make my car less flashy and ripped off the yellow Volks decals definitely did the work well. at least it is not as attractive to damn CHP... which i got a ticket back in a few months ago while i was traveling 70 and there were cars passing me and i got wrote up for a 80... those damn CHP..

mod wouldn't make a difference since no warranty. i just took mine in 2 weeks ago for new valve cover, and all new gaskets done. i left all mods in with my E50 tune, LOL. i wondered if they ever took it out for a test drive after the repair.
Thanks but my exhaust is from magnaflow. But now i have stupid misfires. Atleast i think they are. Driving back from davis and ses light comes on along with engine malfunction on idrive. Now i cant hook up to my laptop to my procede cuz of some stupid driver and it seems all the cables either come with a cd (which my laptop doesnt have a cd-rom) or no driver support so now im looking all over the world wide web for a driver for the cable i do have so i can diagnose properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #3428
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Typo on the E85 portion but thats easy to understand considering the way I worded it.

As far as the octane rating use we have adopted the 105 simply as a better reference. At the end of the day its pointless since it doesn't truly signify the performance capabilities of the fuel itself. It doesn't behave anything like 96 octane fuel thus using an exacting octane conversion is far from apples to apples. Its a predominantly alcoholic fuel, Its apples to oranges no mater how you do it. As mentioned before it performs on par with C16 and in FI situations we have pulled even more power out of it due to the cooling properties. Pretty cool stuff at the end of the day.
Good point.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #3429
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkirath View Post
I was driving the car last week and it was fine. stopped and went into a store. when I came out and started driving again, I got a right rear turn signal malfunction.

Later in the day, it was no longer there and hasn't been seen since.

Just a minor glitch?
Loose bulb?

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #3430
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb View Post
What's up Eric!

The ex still drives the ML. I drive the 335i. I'd like to get a larger, more practical yet not too costly 7 passenger SUV. I think I've narrowed it down to the honda pilot or ford explorer.

I know I'll get one eventually. Just trying to decide if I do that first or a new home. New home makes the most sense so I'll likely drag my feet and get the ride next year...

I like your idea of an Audi. I think my next move will be a sporty 5 seat sedan. A little more room would be nice too!
Tesla... Saw seven on the way home from Palo Alto on Sat.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #3431
JamesAC83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Does anybody know of any good BMW shops in Sacramento? Earlier today, my car has decided not to build any boost, run like crap, and throw a CEL out of nowhere. A little while ago, I went to start it to see if I could find the problem.. Hard start, stumbles to life (barely), and then chokes and dies.. Currently won't start. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #3432
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma6 View Post
Thanks but my exhaust is from magnaflow. But now i have stupid misfires. Atleast i think they are. Driving back from davis and ses light comes on along with engine malfunction on idrive. Now i cant hook up to my laptop to my procede cuz of some stupid driver and it seems all the cables either come with a cd (which my laptop doesnt have a cd-rom) or no driver support so now im looking all over the world wide web for a driver for the cable i do have so i can diagnose properly.
I had the same problem!! The driver that shiv provided wasn't working anymore for the proceed, the computer would recognize the driver but tell me i didn't have the approval to install it. So i took the name of the cable, I forgot what it was called off the top of my head but it says it in the (device menu drivers list). Do a search and download the latest driver. I did that and my procede worked again.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0