E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY DCT Paddles Sport Wheel

04-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
SonicGerm
Master Shake
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

DIY DCT Paddles Sport Wheel

1. Step one: (Airbag Removal)
  • First off you're going to want to disconnect the negative lead on the battery.
***Note***
do not close your trunk once this is done.
  • Now you need to pop out the airbag. This is done by putting a T20 screw driver into little self healing holes in the back of the steering wheel. I bought a Torx set from Lowe's for 9 Dollars. Be careful as to not make the hole any bigger than it was to begin with. After you pull out the torx screw driver it heals itself and disappears so don't don't worry. Push in the torx driver strait in until you feel spring tension. Push strait in and the bag should pop out for that side, now you just move on to the other side. Below are pics on what the holes look like and where they should be and an inside shot of what you're trying to do.

• Once the airbag is out disconnect it from the console and place it to the side face down. Now use the T20 screw driver to remove the sport face shield so you have access to the paddles. Pics below of where these screws are. There are three screws only two pics because the left and right one are just mirrored.

1. Paddle install and removal
  • The hardest part is over once you have the airbag off it's pretty self explanatory. use the T20 screw driver to remove the old paddle shifters and install the new ones. As soon and I get my M3 wheel I'll take detailed pictures of the whole install process.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
looks cool. i want to do this, and the mod where that right paddle only goes up and the left paddle only go down. i saw it on another forum
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
irq5
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Hey Sonic

Thanks for the DIY. I want to do the same as e92man and change the standard Steptronic shifters to shift up on the right and down on the left.

Just one question... Is the above the Sport Wheel the one that you get with the M-Sport pack? 3 spoke - quite small - perforated leather on the sides? Just want to make sure I have the right instructions for my steering wheel. The biggest worry for me was getting the airbag off and back on, but it's it's as simple as you say, I think I should do just fine.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
SonicGerm
Master Shake
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Yeah it's just the standard sport wheel it's really easy to do. If you have any questions just PM me. I'm post more pictures when I get my M3 Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
irq5
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Sweet - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
irq5
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks again for this!

I haven't changed to the DCT paddles, but I did use this thread in conjunction with the paddle shift rewire thread for the Steptronic.

Shifting now feels much more natural pulling the left paddle to downshift...

Anyway - I couldn't have done it without this thread. The instructions and pics for removing the airbag module were invaluable!
Appreciate 0