E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best Subwoofer Implementation?

04-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Best Subwoofer Implementation?

Hi guys,

Ive recently upgraded my base stereo system by adding a centre channel and an ms-8. Very happy with the results, didnt think music could sound like this!

Currently the only drivers that are trying to reproduce low freq are the 6.5" oem underseats. It does sound decent and A LOT better than stock. However i want that deep pounding bass that u can probably only get with a seperate amped sub in the boot/trunk. might be able to reproduce low freq using sws8s but this route will be too expensive for me

Some details: My rear seats do NOT fold and i do NOT have a ski hole Dont really want to go down the route of makig a hole.

My equipment: ms-8. Want to use my DLS A6 and a 12" sub

I would like ur help on a few things regarding this potential install:

I was speaking to a guy today who sounded like a decent person and who sold me the ms-8. He said that there is no point putting a sub in the boot of an e90 with no folding seats/ski hole because the boot is separate from the cabin. The low frequencies will just reflect from the walls and corners of the boot/trunk and will kind of cancel it out. He said it was a bit like 2 speakers directly out of phase with each other. He also said you'd probably get 25% of the power of any sub i put in.

Kaigoss69 has mentioned that the only two methods that work with a trunk sub are cornerloading or infinate baffle. i dont want to go down the corner loading route as i dont think i can fit a 12" in the corner. As for the infinate baffle am i right in thinking that this is when the sub is placed mid-air through a ski hole? If so i cant do this as i dont have a ski hole.

So what would ur advice be to get the best out of a 12" sub, considering my limitations?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

VP Electricity makes a 12" enclosure that fits in the corner above the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Foreman05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: in search of a 335

I just put an RE Audio SE 10 in my trunk with a sealed box facing aft and it sounds pretty good. doesn't shake the car like it should but i won't curse bmw for building a well insulated car but you can feel the low end and it fills in perfect where the 8 inch underseats won't go. it isn't as loud as the pair of polk 8's i had in my truck but when the subs are 2 feet from you its loud.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreman05 View Post
I just put an RE Audio SE 10 in my trunk with a sealed box facing aft and it sounds pretty good. doesn't shake the car like it should but i won't curse bmw for building a well insulated car but you can feel the low end and it fills in perfect where the 8 inch underseats won't go. it isn't as loud as the pair of polk 8's i had in my truck but when the subs are 2 feet from you its loud.
Do u mean a sealed box facing the front? Also how much rms are u feeding into the 10"?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryK73 View Post
Want to avoid putting a sub there because of the battery and fuel cap
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Foreman05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: in search of a 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17;117****5
Do u mean a sealed box facing the front? Also how much rms are u feeding into the 10"?
Its facing the rear of the car, firing toward the rear bumper. Sounds the same as sideways if you ask me. its getting only 400RMS from the alpine amp i already had wired at 2ohms. currently looking for something around the 6-700 rms range. before i get the lecture of under powering a sub...i know. By the way if you plan on getting a sub like any that RE has they will defiantly soak up some power so be ready to feed it some juice.:thump: Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again technic for the bad ass harness. installing car audio has never been so easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I have VP's 10" enclosure and battery access is not an issue since the enclosure is pressure fit. Just give it a good yank and it comes right out. Haven't had any problems with the fuel filler door. I'm running the Morel SC10 sub powered by a Zapco DC500.1. The sub still seems to be breaking in since the sound seems to change week by week.
      04-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryK73 View Post
Its removable. All you have to do is tilt it out. Mine is velcroed in to hold it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok that 12" seems good then.

1) In ur opinion, would a corner enclosure definately be better than a sealed box pushed right against the rear seats?

2) would a 800-1000w rms 12" sub have too much bass and affect the battery and/or fuel cap?

3) what volume is that enclosure? i need to make sure the sub is suited to that volume don't i? and is it a sealed or ported enclosure?

4) if i go for infinate baffle, would i definately need to make a ski hole?

Your help is much appreciated
Appreciate 0