E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > EKPM3 Plug and Play Upgraded Cooling For Sale

07-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

EKPM3 Plug and Play Upgraded Cooling For Sale

I've been working with EKPM3 modules to upgrade the cooling to prevent overheating due to additional fueling requirements. I have talked to members and there is a want for these, especially as the BMP4 costs at least $650, must be changed if you change fueling, and more often than not is simply unavailable to purchase. The EKPM3 modules I sell do not require any coding, has a thermal pad that replaces the underperforming factory one, an added heat sink, a Noctua fan that pulls air through the heat sink and out of the top, and pins that easily slip into the 12v power and ground to run the fan only while the engine is on. There is absolutely zero wire cutting and the module takes 5 minutes to install. Let overheating EKP problems be a thing of the past!

Pricing is $170 for a plug-and-play unit shipped inside the US, $30 core refund for EKPM2 or EKPM3. $100 to ship me yours and I upgrade it. I'll have a small batch of 5 ready next week since I've just ordered all the parts. PM me to order.
      07-12-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

What kind of testing has been done on your setup? I'm assuming you've put different amp loads on the EKPM3 and charted the temps? How much does the external fan bump up the amp load capacity?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
What kind of testing has been done on your setup? I'm assuming you've put different amp loads on the EKPM3 and charted the temps? How much does the external fan bump up the amp load capacity?
Multiple people have DIY'd this themselves in the past with much success without amperage testing. The amperage draw that a small cooling fan requires will be tiny compared to what a single or dual upgraded fuel pumps require. I suspect that the cooler temperatures will result in recovered efficiency greater than the amperage draw used. Simply put, the cooler EKP will give back more fuel pump pressure that the fan could possibly take away. If you like, I can slow the fan from its 4500 rpm to 3700 or less.
      07-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_E92_Fan View Post
Multiple people have DIY'd this themselves in the past with much success without amperage testing. The amperage draw that a small cooling fan requires will be tiny compared to what a single or dual upgraded fuel pumps require. I suspect that the cooler temperatures will result in recovered efficiency greater than the amperage draw used. Simply put, the cooler EKP will give back more fuel pump pressure that the fan could possibly take away. If you like, I can slow the fan from its 4500 rpm to 3700 or less.
if you are charging for a product you better have done extensive testing and have data to back it up.
      07-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't so much worried about the extra amperage the fan pulls....I was talking about how much more added capacity/amperage you can run now with the cooling fan added to the EKP.

In other words...if the stock EKP overamps/overheats with a 18a draw (or whatever it is)...will running this cooling fan let the EKP run 20a before it overheats? 25amps? Etc, etc?

That's the kind of data you need to provide if you want to start selling your setup.

Just saying "it will keep the EKP cooler" doesn't really say much.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't so much worried about the extra amperage the fan pulls....I was talking about how much more added capacity/amperage you can run now with the cooling fan added to the EKP.

In other words...if the stock EKP overamps/overheats with a 18a draw (or whatever it is)...will running this cooling fan let the EKP run 20a before it overheats? 25amps? Etc, etc?

That's the kind of data you need to provide if you want to start selling your setup.

Just saying "it will keep the EKP cooler" doesn't really say much.
I don't think getting that answer is within my realm very easily. I don't have access to cars with multiple fuel pumps and I'm selling my car this week. My intention isn't to have a "proven setup to run X amps with Y fuel pumps". If I did that then my setup would cost twice as much due to the time spent involved in R&D and would compete with the BMP4. My intention is to take a proven recipe for EKP cooling, make it plug and play, reliable, and accessible. If that doesn't work for you and you still need EKP cooling, I suggest you DIY it like many others have. I am simply doing that for you and selling it for profit.
      07-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Sure, that makes sense. But it's a tough sell when you can't back it up with any actual data.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep

Quote:
Sure, that makes sense. But it's a tough sell when you can't back it up with any actual data.
I would like to take some temperature data. No one has really done empirical analysis though, or at least posted it on the forums. Most comments simply say that it was untouchable before, and mildly warm after. I used to get the idrive fuel pump warning on long pulls while running e85 even with a big bar of aluminum added to the back of the EKP but since I'm selling my 335is I've removed flex fuel. Knowing that e85 puts a lot more stress on a single walbro 450, it makes sense that the heat would build up and cause problems. I can start by getting temperature data on an unmodified EKP, then a modified EKP while running stage 2+, then flex fuel with full e85. If anyone would like to help me get data with a more substantial fuel setup I'd be more than happy to send you a unit for free and pay for your time. That way everyone has a better idea of the benefits.