E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help Buying N54 2009 BMW

07-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #23
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Cheapest would be to get some low mileage ones off a scrapped car but the only reliable way is to get them from a dealer. Prices keep changing but last time I checked it was £220 per injector.

FCP would be ideal but I think you have to use a shipping forwarder these days as they stopped shipping direct after UK changed the import rules this Jan.
Thanks, I'll see what I can find.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #24
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
For what it's worth, xhp stage 3 is a huge improvement for the AT transmission. Shifts are very fast and the downshift throttle blips are awesome. The Zf 6 speed is a pretty robust transmission. I am personally not sure of the limits or reliability of the dct... but of 5 years of owning my e90, I never once wished I had the dct instead. Xhp is great with all the custom settings to get it dialled in exactly how you like it.
Although dct shifts are faster, I enjoy being able to feel the actual gear shift with the Zf.

Food for thought... there must be a reason the new M3/M4 went back to the ZF transmission vs a double clutch.

I also just installed the Nelson Racing Wheel paddles and they are awesome.
DCT holding up to 700nm of torque with the latest updates from XHP. In a different league to the 6AT completely in capability and shift performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #25
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
For what it's worth, xhp stage 3 is a huge improvement for the AT transmission. Shifts are very fast and the downshift throttle blips are awesome. The Zf 6 speed is a pretty robust transmission. I am personally not sure of the limits or reliability of the dct... but of 5 years of owning my e90, I never once wished I had the dct instead. Xhp is great with all the custom settings to get it dialled in exactly how you like it.
Although dct shifts are faster, I enjoy being able to feel the actual gear shift with the Zf.

Food for thought... there must be a reason the new M3/M4 went back to the ZF transmission vs a double clutch.

I also just installed the Nelson Racing Wheel paddles and they are awesome.
DCT holding up to 700nm of torque with the latest updates from XHP. In a different league to the 6AT completely in capability and shift performance.
Thanks that's Good to know!

I have heard some horror stories with double clutch transmissions (maybe not bmws) but if they ever go wrong, they will drain your bank account. The amount of moving parts and seals in a double clutch tranny vs single is a lot.

My point was if you found the perfect car but it had the ZF vs the dct, I would not hesitate for a second. Both great options when xhp is introduced .
      07-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #26
AlphaSO
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Just to add to the above, so the OP is clear, fuel consumption on the N54 is terrible, especially if you do a lot of city driving plus maintenance can get expensive.

If the OP can deal with bad fuel consumption and high maintenance costs, then go for it, otherwise something more economical and reliable is a better choice.
Maintenance isn't a concern because it is something I can afford and fix.

Well, as long as I am not getting single digits then I am happy lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #27
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSO View Post

The worst I got was 14-15mpg, so low teens is possible, but that's with frequent rips and a lot of city driving, stop start traffic. You should be able to get somewhere around ~18-20mpg typically
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #28
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is that higher than the ZF8 transmission capacity?

Also how much torque did XHP say the ZF6 can hold with line pressure bump activated, must be more than 600nm?

I heard BMW is using ZF8 transmission because it can hold more torque than the DCT, and its as fast as the DCT if not almost as fast
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #29
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSO View Post

With normal mixed driving you will be seeing north of 25mpg. I have 2 n54 cars and the one I use for work gets a lot of motorway use and will get 400 miles out of a tank.

Quote:
Is that higher than the ZF8 transmission capacity?

Also how much torque did XHP say the ZF6 can hold with line pressure bump activated, must be more than 600nm?

I heard BMW is using ZF8 transmission because it can hold more torque than the DCT, and its as fast as the DCT if not almost as fast
The switch to the ZF8 is cost related, the DCT was an indulgence in that regard, all the latest exotica comes with a DCT but we're getting a little off topic. The ZF8 isn't an option for OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #30
Benjiman
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
2009 E93 335i  [0.00]
I recently purchased a 2009 E93 335i N54 DCT, I love it so far.

MPG wise, going WOT lots / purely driving around town / short journeys, I've been getting 160 miles to a full tank.
However on a recent longer journey that was 90% motorway with cruise control, not going WOT or giving it much at all, I got 115 miles to a quarter tank.

I have at least one leaking injector atm, also the car is at 93k miles and I doubt it's ever been walnut blasted so those two are on my to do list ASAP. I'm expecting at least a slight rise in MPG after this.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #31
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
With normal mixed driving you will be seeing north of 25mpg. I have 2 n54 cars and the one I use for work gets a lot of motorway use and will get 400 miles out of a tank.

The switch to the ZF8 is cost related, the DCT was an indulgence in that regard, all the latest exotica comes with a DCT but we're getting a little off topic. The ZF8 isn't an option for OP.
Hmmm... Not so sure about that, the F90 M5 and the G8x M3/M4 both use the ZF8, i doubt BMW chose it purely because of cost.

In the M5 it already holds huge amount or torque, 750nm as standard and tuned they hold much higher amount of torque.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #32
R3dLeader
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 and e93 335i

Quote:
In the M5 it already holds huge amount or torque, 750nm as standard and tuned they hold much higher amount of torque.
Just FYI, there are many different variants of the ZF8 that have different torque capacities. Different internals.

The 800hp Dodge Hellcat uses the ZF8 as well as the 211 hp Audi A4. I'm sure those 2 ZF8s have very different internals.

Nevertheless, it's a VERY good transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 06:52 AM   #33
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dLeader View Post
Just FYI, there are many different variants of the ZF8 that have different torque capacities. Different internals.

The 800hp Dodge Hellcat uses the ZF8 as well as the 211 hp Audi A4. I'm sure those 2 ZF8s have very different internals.

Nevertheless, it's a VERY good transmission.
Yes I know, I'm referring to the latest version used in the M cars, such as M5, it's pretty much as good as a DCT, I don't believe the M5 has a ZF8 transmission because of cost reasons
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #34
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I know, I'm referring to the latest version used in the M cars, such as M5, it's pretty much as good as a DCT, I don't believe the M5 has a ZF8 transmission because of cost reasons
The two transmissions aren't comparable, the ZF8 might be fast for a torque converter auto but the physical limitations of the transmission mean it's never going to match a DCT in speed.

There's many reason BMW are not using the DCT in their new models. The main reason is that the Getrag 7DCT doesn't work with 4WD cars and all the latest M cars are getting 4WD options. Efficiency is also quoted quite heavily, the ZF8 has more ratios and uses less power to help reduce CO2 numbers.

Also shift speed isn't the primary reason people choose the DCT. It's popular for the way it changes gear, like a proper sequential box. The DCT conversion is getting more popular on this platform, I've seen a few done now and almost everyone is blown away by the result when migrating from a 6AT.

If there was any merit in the ZF8 as a sporty gearbox then Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren and Bugatti would all be using it. The ZF8 is great for getting from A to B but it doesn't offer much outside of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:49 AM   #35
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The two transmissions aren't comparable, the ZF8 might be fast for a torque converter auto but the physical limitations of the transmission mean it's never going to match a DCT in speed.

There's many reason BMW are not using the DCT in their new models. The main reason is that the Getrag 7DCT doesn't work with 4WD cars and all the latest M cars are getting 4WD options. Efficiency is also quoted quite heavily, the ZF8 has more ratios and uses less power to help reduce CO2 numbers.

Also shift speed isn't the primary reason people choose the DCT. It's popular for the way it changes gear, like a proper sequential box. The DCT conversion is getting more popular on this platform, I've seen a few done now and almost everyone is blown away by the result when migrating from a 6AT.

If there was any merit in the ZF8 as a sporty gearbox then Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren and Bugatti would all be using it. The ZF8 is great for getting from A to B but it doesn't offer much outside of that.
lol, yeah the M5 has the ZF8 because it's good for not much more than a to b. Mate I like the DCT but your just hating on the ZF8 because you like the DCT,

All transmissions have drawbacks.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/05/02/v...-the-business/

Yes from the 6AT to the DCT you have a point, even though XHP does make a significant improvement to both. The ZF8 is a different matter.

I don't think the BMW DCTs can hold the torque that's probably why they didn't go with it in the M5, in Addition to smoothness. Either way, they are both expensive transmissions.

Last edited by Saif2018; 07-16-2021 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:00 AM   #36
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's F10 to F90 owners saying they don't even miss the DCT because the ZF8 in the M5 is so good.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1553454
Appreciate 0