E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Decking

07-17-2021, 03:26 AM   #1
Kilser
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

N54 Decking

Hey guys, I am in the process of building my n54, the block is currently at the machine shop waiting for my pistons so they can oversize the bore. I want to deck the block / head so I can get a smooth surface for the head gasket - what I am unsure of though is how much on average do they deck the block and at what point will I need a thicker head gasket to compensate?

Also since I am over sizing the bore for nee pistons would I not need a new head gasket with a bigger bore size aswell?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

As far as decking the block goes...just tell them you want it cleaned up and flat. They will take off the minimum amount.... probably just a couple of thousandths.

As far as the head gasket goes...it all depends on how much you are increasing the bore. You should be able to do some measuring and find out if the oem head gasket will work.

I did a quick Google sure on "boring a N54 block"....and there is tons and tons of info out there.
Appreciate 0