E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Manual Transmission Won’t Go Into Gear

11-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
dilloncorrallo
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Manual Transmission Won’t Go Into Gear

Hello, making yet another post about my transmission issues (please don’t be mad) and hopefully I can find answers to my questions

I wanted to know if my transmission is still working or if I should use the replacement (that I can get my money back for if I don’t need it).

When I try to release the clutch pedal, it will start to move but then will act like it’s slipping and there’s a grinding metal knocking noise.
Pulled the transmission and inspected clutch assembly and only thing I saw were that the contact surfaces had some pretty bad heat marks and the clutch fork pivot pin was worn down pretty good.

Also important to note I removed the locking nut before I torqued the Pressure plate to flywheel (the self adjusting clutch system) I believe this can lead to improper clutch disengagement, therefore ruining synchros.

I drained the transmission fluid and it was a brownish purpleish color and I had only recently done the transmission service with redline trans fluid. Tiny amount of copper/brass flakes but nothing major. I will attach Photo.

I purchased replacement clutch and pressure plate and resurfaced flywheel. Should I install it on current transmission or is it for sure trashed?

Any advice is helpful please and thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilloncorrallo View Post
Hello, making yet another post about my transmission issues (please don’t be mad) and hopefully I can find answers to my questions

I wanted to know if my transmission is still working or if I should use the replacement (that I can get my money back for if I don’t need it).

When I try to release the clutch pedal, it will start to move but then will act like it’s slipping and there’s a grinding metal knocking noise.
Pulled the transmission and inspected clutch assembly and only thing I saw were that the contact surfaces had some pretty bad heat marks and the clutch fork pivot pin was worn down pretty good.

Also important to note I removed the locking nut before I torqued the Pressure plate to flywheel (the self adjusting clutch system) I believe this can lead to improper clutch disengagement, therefore ruining synchros.

I drained the transmission fluid and it was a brownish purpleish color and I had only recently done the transmission service with redline trans fluid. Tiny amount of copper/brass flakes but nothing major. I will attach Photo.

I purchased replacement clutch and pressure plate and resurfaced flywheel. Should I install it on current transmission or is it for sure trashed?

Any advice is helpful please and thank you.
If that's recent fluid you have major issues in the transmission. My recommendation is just order a used tranny from eBay. It's pretty cheap considering.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #3
evanmike.auto
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X4

Hi, how did you fix this problem? Can you still change gears with the engine off?

It seems I'm encountering the same problem as you...
Appreciate 0