E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help Buying N54 2009 BMW

07-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
AlphaSO
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
Help Buying N54 2009 BMW

Hi everyone

I am looking to buy a N54 Powered 2009 BMW 335i. I have done extensive research on the car, including the repairs and tools needed for the upkeep of the car.

I am interested in a car that has FBOs and a stage 2 MHD tune. However, I will be driving the car very conservatively. Is it safe to remove the tune of the car, and will it increase the MPG for daily driving use?

Please do not respond with - 'y r u buyin da car 4 MPG bro, smiles per gallon bro'

The car will be my daily driver, I do not drive a lot of miles every year, but would look to drive it on the motorway from time to time. I currently have a Peogeot 1.4, so it is a big jump but I am looking forward to purchasing the car.

Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Completely fine to remove the tune but it won't increase your MPG. FBO cars get the same mpg if not a tad better than stock as long as no ethanol is being used. If you remove the tune, you will get a check engine light for the downpipes.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Be sure to do a COLD START! It's a great way to see what really going on with the N54 motor. Watch for smoke out the exhaust pipes. Listen with the hood up for misfires. If the car has downpipes it's actually better for the life of the turbos. If it's FBO you're buying some else's project so be smart about it. Check the computer's oil level, ask questions about recent maintenance. It's so important with these cars. If done properly they run so smooth and fast as f**k. You'll still get 30mpg on the highway with Stage 2+ at normal speeds.
Good luck with the purchase man.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Completely fine to remove the tune but it won't increase your MPG. FBO cars get the same mpg if not a tad better than stock as long as no ethanol is being used. If you remove the tune, you will get a check engine light for the downpipes.
+1 there's almost zero difference in mpg, especially if op is going to drive conservatively most of the time. If he's gonna rip it frequently mpg will tank like a camel drinking water lol.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      07-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
AlphaSO
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Guys thanks a ton! I appreciate it, my friend recommended this forum, he has a 335d and it was actually the influence of my decision of the car. Such a beautiful and timeless car, and looking forward to owning on in the foreseeable future.

The guy has sent over a ton of videos and photos of the car and can see no issue in relation to the vehicle whatsoever.

Yeah I've noted the fact that the car is someone elses project and even though they have said 'it's their baby' - I am still taking this with a grain of salt.

The issues associated with the engine have been sorted out with the individual. He has done all the work on his own!

No misfires from the hood - it has precision raceworks ignition kit.

No black smoke from the exhaust either.

Thanks for the MPG figures guys, it's appreciated!

Anything else to consider?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #6
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSO View Post

Anything else to consider?
This is just genuine curiosity, but why did you land on the N54 if you're only interesting in driving it 'very conservatively'? I get the appeal of the E90, but by your intentions I would think the 328i would be a better fit and give you less trouble down the road. I mean no offense. I'd just like to hear your reasoning.
      07-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

I do have to ask, if you don't want a tuned car, then why are you buying one? When I was looking to buy my N54 I stayed away from tuned ones because I had no idea what they did to the car, who did it, was it done right, etc. Plus I wanted to learn and do it myself, to my tastes/specs, and know it was done right.

I personally would look for a stock one. This post suggests your gut is telling you the same maybe.
      07-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #8
AlphaSO
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I completely get what you guys are saying regarding my intentions, and maybe it would be better suited for a lower spec e92, but this is a car model that I have admired over the years and would be the right decision for me.

Overtime, I would be adding FBOs onto the car anyways so it would not bother me if the car is already FBO'd before my ownership. I think the SE model over time would cost me a lot of money for the modifications which I would look to do (ex- and interior wise). If they are already pre-installed, and I am happy to DIY the fuel pump, injectors, serpentine belt and tensioner idlers etc etc etc, this is not much of an issue for me.

Not really sure, I'm not much of a hooligan on the road, sure I appreciate the physics of a fast car, and the mechanics behind it - but so long as the MPG I get for the car isn't going to kill my bank account every time I put my foot down, I'm happy to proceed with the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #9
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Perfectly reasonable to want a 335i without wanting to drive like a lunatic. They are reasonably cheap to run, sound good and offer effortless torque. Just make sure to price in £1400 for new injectors unless the previous owner already had them done.

Are you after manual or auto? If auto then it's worth considering the DCT model, it's a huge upgrade over the standard 6AT and there's a few of them around in the UK, they started offering the DCT as an option from 2009 onwards.
Appreciate 1
Gregrobin578.00
      07-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #10
AlphaSO
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hey CarAbuser - Thanks for the response!

Automatic transmission is what I am looking into.. manual would be awesome for me tbh, but its impossible to find a decent condition manual 335i in the UK. Having a bit of a mare finding one, endless auto trans ahhh!

DCT models are N55 right? I dont think there are any N54 DCT - unless they made them for like a limited period of time? Would it be easier to XHP Gearbox map it? So the shifts are quicker or closer to a DCT?

Injectors have been replaced by the individual, so that helps out a ton! He has 4000 miles on the injectors and oil gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #11
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:

Automatic transmission is what I am looking into.. manual would be awesome for me tbh, but its impossible to find a decent condition manual 335i in the UK. Having a bit of a mare finding one, endless auto trans ahhh!

DCT models are N55 right? I dont think there are any N54 DCT - unless they made them for like a limited period of time? Would it be easier to XHP Gearbox map it? So the shifts are quicker or closer to a DCT?

Injectors have been replaced by the individual, so that helps out a ton! He has 4000 miles on the injectors and oil gaskets.
The only N54 DCT is the 335is and I believe it was only offered in the United States. Other standard 335i models I'm not sure about unless people have converted over to a DCT.
      07-13-2021, 03:12 AM   #12
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

N54 model has the DCT. N55 came in 2012 so there's a sweet spot between 2009 and 2011 where you can get an N54 DCT 335i.

I think XHP improves the 6AT a bit but it's still not ideal. I didn't consider it at all when looking for a car as there was plenty of DCT and manual cars around. Autotrader and pistonheads classifieds were the best places to look, pistonheads tends to get more enthusiasts selling so check there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6266N54 View Post
The only N54 DCT is the 335is and I believe it was only offered in the United States. Other standard 335i models I'm not sure about unless people have converted over to a DCT.
335i came with a DCT option in the UK from 2009 onwards. Same in Aus.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
AlphaSO
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Awesome cheers for the information regarding DCT.

Looking forward to getting the N54 335i!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:53 AM   #14
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Awesome cheers for the information regarding DCT.

Looking forward to getting the N54 335i!
For what it's worth, xhp stage 3 is a huge improvement for the AT transmission. Shifts are very fast and the downshift throttle blips are awesome. The Zf 6 speed is a pretty robust transmission. I am personally not sure of the limits or reliability of the dct... but of 5 years of owning my e90, I never once wished I had the dct instead. Xhp is great with all the custom settings to get it dialled in exactly how you like it.
Although dct shifts are faster, I enjoy being able to feel the actual gear shift with the Zf.

Food for thought... there must be a reason the new M3/M4 went back to the ZF transmission vs a double clutch.

I also just installed the Nelson Racing Wheel paddles and they are awesome.
      07-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Get a 328i.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #16
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Perfectly reasonable to want a 335i without wanting to drive like a lunatic. They are reasonably cheap to run, sound good and offer effortless torque. Just make sure to price in £1400 for new injectors unless the previous owner already had them done.

Are you after manual or auto? If auto then it's worth considering the DCT model, it's a huge upgrade over the standard 6AT and there's a few of them around in the UK, they started offering the DCT as an option from 2009 onwards.
A bit off topic but any idea where I can get index 12 Injectors mate?

I found some online for 1700+ fitted and the Ebay ones I find questionable

Last edited by Saif2018; 07-13-2021 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #17
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
For what it's worth, xhp stage 3 is a huge improvement for the AT transmission. Shifts are very fast and the downshift throttle blips are awesome. The Zf 6 speed is a pretty robust transmission. I am personally not sure of the limits or reliability of the dct... but of 5 years of owning my e90, I never once wished I had the dct instead. Xhp is great with all the custom settings to get it dialled in exactly how you like it.
Although dct shifts are faster, I enjoy being able to feel the actual gear shift with the Zf.

Food for thought... there must be a reason the new M3/M4 went back to the ZF transmission vs a double clutch.

I also just installed the Nelson Racing Wheel paddles and they are awesome.
I recently went to xHP Stage 1 and noticed a big difference in M and Sport mode. Not liking the "keep it in D6" in Drive though (I made the phrase up) so I use M and Sport more now.
      07-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #18
AlphaSO
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post

I messaged FCP Euro mate, and they provide Lifetime Warranty on all their products including Fuel Injectors. Initial price may cost a load with international shipping, but you can return them once they go out - and get a pack of new ones.

One thing I do not like about these injectors is the increase in price every XX months. It becomes tad annoying.

Also on EuroCarParts, they have Siemens VDO ones, not sure how good they hold up though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #19
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I messaged FCP Euro mate, and they provide Lifetime Warranty on all their products including Fuel Injectors. Initial price may cost a load with international shipping, but you can return them once they go out - and get a pack of new ones.

One thing I do not like about these injectors is the increase in price every XX months. It becomes tad annoying.

Also on EuroCarParts, they have Siemens VDO ones, not sure how good they hold up though.
Eurocarparts are clueless, doubt they even know that Index 12 injectors exist.

I know about FCP Euro, problem is with shipping it'll be over $2000+ plus could also end up paying customs
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #20
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

OP, I offer this Comment to help, not to judge/criticize. If you are concerned about MPG, these are probably the wrong cars for you. You also need to factor in the ongoing service/maintenance they need. These are not Toyotas, Hondas, etc.

I liken it to when I used to boat. My last 3 boats had twin engine big blocks and burned 30+ gallons per hour at cruise. Yes, 30+ gallon an hour. I'd see posts on boat forums asking how to save money on gas, what if gas prices go up, etc. If you have to ask these kinds of questions you probably should not be buying a twin engine big boat is what I would say. And then I'd see posts about folks who did buy them but could not afford to run them: fuel costs, service costs, slip costs, insurance, etc.
      07-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #21
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Just to add to the above, so the OP is clear, fuel consumption on the N54 is terrible, especially if you do a lot of city driving plus maintenance can get expensive.

If the OP can deal with bad fuel consumption and high maintenance costs, then go for it, otherwise something more economical and reliable is a better choice.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #22
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post

Cheapest would be to get some low mileage ones off a scrapped car but the only reliable way is to get them from a dealer. Prices keep changing but last time I checked it was £220 per injector.

FCP would be ideal but I think you have to use a shipping forwarder these days as they stopped shipping direct after UK changed the import rules this Jan.
Appreciate 0