E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > hi need help engine oil smells like fuel

07-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #23
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
Dave92N54 I love Blackstone Labs for oil samples. I use them all the time when buying boats. The last one showed 5% fuel in the oil. Seller tired to tell me it was normal. I could smell fuel in the exhaust as well under power. I walked away from the sale.

Fuel in the oil can come from valve stems as well.
I appreciate the response. I too like them, they've been very pleasant to work with and tests aren't too expensive. Free kits are nice too, I have a bunch just waiting.

I highly doubt valve seals are my issue. No smoke on startups and almost no oil consumption (I use maybe half a qt in 3000mi). I continue to look for the cause but at this point, I just change the oil frequently. I may go ahead and warranty my index 12s…

The thing that is odd to me is my fuel trims would indicate i'm running a little leaner, not richer. They're not high in either direction but I certainly see positive trims more than negative (I watch my trims any time i'm driving the car).

I feel I may have hijacked the thread a bit, I apologize for that.