E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb4 tune questions (first time)

07-14-2021, 05:35 PM   #1
Saaaan1
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi coupe

Jb4 tune questions (first time)

I am thinking about purchasing this modification, but I have a few questions. To start, my car is a 2008 e92 335xi coupe (n54) with sport package (not sure if that makes a difference). What exactly will this tune do to my car? I know how to install it, but am confused as to how to alter the settings in order to get the "100 bhp increase". The jb4 tune is sold on Amazon, but I'm not sure if there's an interface to change the boost settings. I don't want my car to be unreliable, but I'm aware that it becomes less reliable with this tune. I'm sitting at 300 bhp. All internals are stock. How do I configure this jb4 to make my car 400 bhp? How much boost? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 03:12 AM   #2
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Look into MHD before buying a JB4. It's far superior and costs less.

To configure the JB4 you need to spend hours reading the JB4 forum and then sit in your car mashing the volume buttons in a certain sequence so that the 100 different settings you have to set are all correct.

Even after going through all that hassle they will recommend that you still purchase MHD to flash your car as the JB4 is incapable of controlling anything other than boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
Saaaan1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Look into MHD before buying a JB4. It's far superior and costs less.

To configure the JB4 you need to spend hours reading the JB4 forum and then sit in your car mashing the volume buttons in a certain sequence so that the 100 different settings you have to set are all correct.

Even after going through all that hassle they will recommend that you still purchase MHD to flash your car as the JB4 is incapable of controlling anything other than boost.
So what exactly will this MHD flash do to my car? Is it similar to the jb4 in terms of increasing turbo boost? Or is it an interface that you use in conjunction with the jb4 tune TO control the boost?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaaan1 View Post
So what exactly will this MHD flash do to my car? Is it similar to the jb4 in terms of increasing turbo boost? Or is it an interface that you use in conjunction with the jb4 tune TO control the boost?
MHD simply replaces your factory tune with a more aggressive one. It will target more boost for sure, but it’s a complete tune to compliment that additional boost. There are several options to chose from, depending on how aggressive you want to go. Since you’re bone stock, you’d want to start with a Stage 1 map from them. MHD is an app that you download on your phone/tablet and connect to your car to flash the tune, but after it has been flashed, there is no additional hardware connected to your car. It’s definitely the way to go if you want to get your feet wet with a little extra power.
      07-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
Saaaan1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Quote:
MHD simply replaces your factory tune with a more aggressive one. It will target more boost for sure, but it’s a complete tune to compliment that additional boost. There are several options to chose from, depending on how aggressive you want to go. Since you’re bone stock, you’d want to start with a Stage 1 map from them. MHD is an app that you download on your phone/tablet and connect to your car to flash the tune, but after it has been flashed, there is no additional hardware connected to your car. It’s definitely the way to go if you want to get your feet wet with a little extra power.
Awesome! So if I do a stage 1 map with the MHD how much bhp increase can I expect from 300 bhp?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #6
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
Awesome! So if I do a stage 1 map with the MHD how much bhp increase can I expect from 300 bhp?
Check out their website, it lists power for each stage:

https://mhdtuning.com/collections/mh...d-n54-map-pack