E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Upgraded turbo problems

07-16-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
Jakejacobsonn
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i f30

Upgraded turbo problems

Hey everyone, I’ve had nothing but problems since I had this car A 2009 N54 150k miles.

Recently I just got upgraded turbos. Only reason being is because the shop that installed my inlets kinked them and we assumed it was worn out turbos because I couldn’t hold boost. For me to crawl under the car and take one look and you could tell it was kinked…

Now I just got car back from another shop… took a week to install turbos because they said the rear turbo oil line didn’t fit.. I spoke to the franken turbos and they said they work the tech was doing it wrong.. but needless to say he figured that part out.

Now the next problem is he said the rear inlet won’t fit to the turbo. I’m using ARM relocated inlets. Once again the tech said it won’t fit so I contacted franken turbos and they told me to tell the tech he needs to install the inlets first. For the tech to tell me it’s not possible. So I got the car back with no rear inlet on the rear turbo.

So I flashed the car with the custom tune and did one pull and the car took absolutely for ever to make boost.

I also have a o2 sensor that I believe is bad I have code
2c9d-DMExygen sensor heater 2 before catalytic converter activation.

I just ordered this I believe this is the correct one if not someone let me know please.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...SABEgKXkPD_BwE

My coolant line also blew off today after getting my car back from the shop I messaged told them the situation got one response and now my messages won’t deliver I believe he blocked my number lol.. paid 850$ for the work and am stuck now and have no idea where to go from here I’m gonna change the o2 on Tuesday but from there I don’t believe that will fix this boost issue. If anyone has had a similar problem let me know.

Here is also a log.

https://datazap.me/u/jakejacobsonn/l...og=0&data=3-22

The car misfires so I let off early.

MOD: FBO Stage 2 lpfp e-40
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It sounds like you need to find a better shop....or better yet, learn to work on your car yourself so you know it's done right.

You have a lot of issues going on....some/most of them could have been caused from the shop(s) not knowing what in the hell they are doing.

Are you taking it to a dedicated BMW shop....or just some backwoods guy working out of his garage?

And what about maintenance? Have you installed new coils and plugs before you did the turbo install? And who did your "custom" tune? Have you tried contacting them to see what's going on? Most of the time those custom tunes take several revisions for the tuner to fail it in correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Train wreck of a post op.

Who knew franken turbo was still in business?
Appreciate 3
BSM n54iS2684.50
Rule1977194.50
Dave92N54528.00
      07-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
Rule1977
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post

LMAO
NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS - TIAL BOV
VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS - VRSF DOWNPIPES
BMS PEDAL TUNER - VTT DUAL CATCH CANS
3.5 BAR TMAP - NGK 97506 PLUGS
H@R SPRINGS - NRW V1 PADDLES
PFS STAGE 3 LPFP - PFS V2 PORT INJECTION
MOSSELMAN OIL THERMOSTAT
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
ZIMMERMAN DRILLED ROTORS - EBC REDSTUFF PADS
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      07-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
Jakejacobsonn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
It sounds like you need to find a better shop....or better yet, learn to work on your car yourself so you know it's done right.

You have a lot of issues going on....some/most of them could have been caused from the shop(s) not knowing what in the hell they are doing.

Are you taking it to a dedicated BMW shop....or just some backwoods guy working out of his garage?

And what about maintenance? Have you installed new coils and plugs before you did the turbo install? And who did your "custom" tune? Have you tried contacting them to see what's going on? Most of the time those custom tunes take several revisions for the tuner to fail it in correctly.

No it was installed by a creditable place I don’t wanna throw any names out there I heard nothing but good things. He did tell me to bring it back Monday so he can look again. I’ve done coils plugs oil cooler housing gasket. All Maintenance has been done new water pump snd thermostat also under 7k miles.

I do the work the most part myself but lack a lift and time for a turbo install.
Just seems very annoying how I bring it to these places and get it back worse every time. And I end up fixing it myself. At the point where I should save the money for the tools and just do the labor myself so at least it’s not done half ass.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 11:14 PM   #6
Jakejacobsonn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post

Hey I’m just putting it out there for any advice people have out there on how to fix this disaster🤷*♂️ And I figured I’d go with those I assumed they were better then say eBay but not quite purrs so right in the middle.
Appreciate 0