E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e91 330d servicing

11-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e91 330d

e91 330d servicing

Hi, I'm sort of new to BMW and the service schedule is confusing me.

I've had the car a couple of years now and just before I bought it the car had been serviced at 117k. Going by the service book and indy receipt it had:

Engine oil, oil filter and pollen filter.

A year later I had it serviced at 138k where it had:

Engine oil, oil filter, micro filter and air cleaner element.

It has now covered 162k and I've got a yellow oil can showing and it's counting down the mileage, currently 600 miles to go before a service.

So what service does it need now?? Surely not just another oil change!

The dash service log is showing

Yellow oil can 600 miles
Orange car on lift 17k miles
Orange DPF filter 110k miles
Orange micro filter 32k miles

What about things like spark plugs, brake fluid and gearbox fluid?

That's a lot of rambling hope it makes sense

Any info would be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

If it hasnt had anything for 25k miles i would do all filters and oil and even glowplugs now we are coming to winter
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep

It was in a few months back for new EGR valve and other bits and was told a couple of glow plugs needed doing along with the controller so it's all being done at the same time.

Are the gearboxes sealed for life?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

marty: With 162k on the clock you should reign oil services right in. If you as the new keeper were to do say 10k a year then once a year IMO is fine if you were to do say 6000 miles a year again change oil once a year. Ideally if you can justify the expensse change the oil twice a year going forward ideally once going into the winter months and once coming out of the winter months. IMO its good house keeping if a little anal, but as I see so many of these cars though our workshops seems a good way of at least ensuring the oil is as clean as it can be(if there's such a thing as clean oil!)

I'd also change the air filter again on a diesel I'd do this every say 2 oil services at the same time again its good house keeping change the breather valve it sits to the right of the air filter costs around £53+VAT may well be longevity wise the best £53+VAT you'll spend to ensure everything is functioning as it should be. They get saturated in oil

and if not attended too can create all sorts of issues from high oil consumption to premeture turbo issues

On service every 3rd oil service you should be changing the fuel filter as well as the air filter, again on the mileage yours has covered check back in the history to see if the fuel filters been changed reguarly remember every 3rd oil service along with the air filter it should of been changed and sadly its often and reguarly over looked as its not on the iDrive screen or in car CBS info screen, but its in the service book and going forward its good practice to see these reguarly changed. Ideally if you can bring this forward as well to every 2nd oil service as again preventions better than cure.

Not a serivce item but if its hasn;t been attended too check to see ifthe cars got its swirl flaps in situ, these as you'll see below usually leak

get them out if they haven't been attended too

at the same time if it hasn't been done get as the manifolds off for again peace of mind and better running change the glow plugs too(ensure the engines nice and hot before extracting these)especially if these haven't been attneded too with the mileage yours is showing.

Pollen filters yep aren't in the real scheme of things too high on the agenda but overall for the money they cost are worth changing ideally every 2nd to 3rd service as well.

Concerning that the the cars not been serviced though for 25k, but a situation that is if atteneded too fully recoverable.
      11-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
marty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great post Steve!!

Really appreciate the info and your time.

I've ordered swirl flap blanks and whilst he's doing the glow plugs I've asked him to look at the state of them and blank off if necessary.

Cheers
Appreciate 0