E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > F20 or F30 or keep our E90s?

07-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

F20 or F30 or keep our E90s?

The F20 1 series I notice have rather...polarizing views in terms of it's designs, and it's not due until the end of this year in HK. But some early reviews are saying it has great handling like the previous 1 series. Likewise the F30 seems to look pretty close to the E90 in terms of side profile, with the major changes in the headlights and kidney grilles (albeit I will reserve final judgement until final unveiling this October). The question is, will it adhere to the performance and handling that the 3 series is famous for? It is the model that defines BMW after all. Or will it (gasp) succumb to the over pampering and soft riding demands of the mass buyers?

The biq question is, will you switch to a F20 or F30 as soon as it is available in HK? Or will you keep the E90 just a bit longer to wait out the bugs in the early models? I recall the early E90s had a whole bunch of electronic issues. Personally, I will keep my E90 for a while before switching to a F20 or F30 (until BMW at least work out the issues in the early F30s). But that is only my own personal view, what about yours?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

BMWHK always has end year speical offers for their entry/mid-range models. If I would need to look for these models, I would wait for the special offers at the end of years or right before the launch of LCI,otherwise the mid-top/top-end model would be my choice for a brand new series.

Let's keep our fingers cross to see how they price the normal F3x and the M. It is still too early to think about it before the new pricing announced.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
css
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S

what i think is, either u buy it once its out, or wait for LCI, or wait until LCI comes out and see if u like the look, if not, buy the discounted pre-lci ones only for F30 though, i wont even have a thought of buying the f20 at all, its plain ugly
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
RR80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I know friend driving the first bunch of E90 330i with zero problem and one with tones of problems on his LCI 325i, it's all depand on your luck!

I still love the E90~~~~
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR80 View Post
I know friend driving the first bunch of E90 330i with zero problem and one with tones of problems on his LCI 325i, it's all depand on your luck!

I still love the E90~~~~
Haha, same here, I love my E90, not ready to let it go just yet , maybe I'll keep it for a few more years before switching to a F30. Although my personal favorite is actually the E30 and E46 M3 CSL. I was actually going to get a facelifted E46 before a better deal with my current E90 came up.

Last edited by JohnMan; 07-20-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny911 View Post
BMWHK always has end year speical offers for their entry/mid-range models. If I would need to look for these models, I would wait for the special offers at the end of years or right before the launch of LCI,otherwise the mid-top/top-end model would be my choice for a brand new series.

Let's keep our fingers cross to see how they price the normal F3x and the M. It is still too early to think about it before the new pricing announced.
Yeah that's right. If I am not mistaken, they are having a special deal with the 323i, of course I don't want to trade down to a 323i from my 325i, haha. As for pricing, I fear BMW is going to jack up the F30 price alot, with the inflation and other excuses. I worried soon we will be seeing $1 million+ for a regular 3 series (non-M), which I think is ridiculous pricing for a entry-level BMW, but I hope that is only my nightmare, and not reality, hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
I worried soon we will be seeing $1 million+ for a regular 3 series (non-M), which I think is ridiculous pricing for a entry-level BMW, but I hope that is only my nightmare, and not reality, hahaha.
I know HK's car tax is ridiculous compared to most other countries but that's a bit much...

My dad says that we probably won't get another 3 series (specifically E93 or the F30 equivalent) because the back seats are never used lol. But he wants to replace it with a F10 while I want a E89 Z4 or something similar, love having the roof down when the weather is nice.

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy J View Post
I know HK's car tax is ridiculous compared to most other countries but that's a bit much...

My dad says that we probably won't get another 3 series (specifically E93 or the F30 equivalent) because the back seats are never used lol. But he wants to replace it with a F10 while I want a E89 Z4 or something similar, love having the roof down when the weather is nice.
Don't buy a brand new Z4 unless there is special offer. Z4 depreciates the quickest among SLK,TT and Boxster.

I am quite disappointed with the new pricing of brand new SLK. Let's see how much the new 981 Boxster would be next year.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't buy a brand new Z4 unless there is special offer. Z4 depreciates the quickest among SLK,TT and Boxster.

I am quite disappointed with the new pricing of brand new SLK. Let's see how much the new 981 Boxster would be next year.
I wonder why a Z4 depreciates so rapidly? There are critics who say the current Z4 doesn't have the performance of the older Z4, but as a GT (rather than pure sports car), the z4 is a decent car. The new SLK looks interesting, but I don't know if I would prefer the SLK to the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I wonder why a Z4 depreciates so rapidly? There are critics who say the current Z4 doesn't have the performance of the older Z4, but as a GT (rather than pure sports car), the z4 is a decent car. The new SLK looks interesting, but I don't know if I would prefer the SLK to the Z4.
Maybe for people who could own a 2 seater (without dogseats),probably have no problem to afford a Porsche or other supercars?

Old Z4 is the sweetest car I have ever owned. No matter the looking or the handling,IMO is superior to the new one. The feeling of sitting at the back is very unique and probably no alternatives with similar pricing available.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe for people who could own a 2 seater (without dogseats),probably have no problem to afford a Porsche or other supercars?

Old Z4 is the sweetest car I have ever owned. No matter the looking or the handling,IMO is superior to the new one. The feeling of sitting at the back is very unique and probably no alternatives with similar pricing available.
I thought the Z4 wasn't competing in the exotic car segment, only the premium sector. So maybe for people merely well-off as opposed to mega-rich will buy a Z4? Haha. The boxster has better performance and handling than the Z4, but I was told the markets for the two cars don't overlap as much, maybe he was wrong then. Someone should go test drive the new SLK and see how it compares to the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Quote:
I thought the Z4 wasn't competing in the exotic car segment, only the premium sector. So maybe for people merely well-off as opposed to mega-rich will buy a Z4? Haha. The boxster has better performance and handling than the Z4, but I was told the markets for the two cars don't overlap as much, maybe he was wrong then.
What my mum would say: why buy a 'BMW' when you can buy a 'Porsche'...

Quote:
Someone should go test drive the new SLK and see how it compares to the Z4.
The new SLK confuses me, looks like a SL rear-ending a SLS and then shrunk together and combined

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy J View Post
What my mum would say: why buy a 'BMW' when you can buy a 'Porsche'...

The new SLK confuses me, looks like a SL rear-ending a SLS and then shrunk together and combined
Well I was under the impression that BMW and Porsche buyers are a more distinct segment of the market. The same would apply to a Audi TT or Mercedes SLK, why buy them if you can buy a Porsche, the only reason a TT or SLK or Z4 would exist is that the target audience would be a little different to that of Porsche.
Of course, if performance and handling is what you look for only in a roadster, then Porsche is the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #14
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I thought the Z4 wasn't competing in the exotic car segment, only the premium sector. So maybe for people merely well-off as opposed to mega-rich will buy a Z4? Haha. The boxster has better performance and handling than the Z4, but I was told the markets for the two cars don't overlap as much, maybe he was wrong then. Someone should go test drive the new SLK and see how it compares to the Z4.
To me,new SLK and new Z4 should be the same type and give you similar feeling besides the looking, sitting position and the badge.

I had been seeking for an used Boxster S/Cayman S for almost 2 years, however I feel the low depreciation of these under/about 1 million Porsches makes me think not wise enough to buy a 2nd hand and vice versa on the Z4. Moreover, the old Z4 Coupe is rarer than most of the Cocksters in HK. Z4M Coupe is one of the ideal cars to satisfy my requirements,but it has almost no chance to get a good condition/non-tracked BMWHK car,so finally a non-M Z4 Coupe is in my garage.

One of the drawbacks of Cockster is the engine right behind me,makes me feel too hot and noisy after my busy work during weekdays. I would see whether there is any improvement on the 981 series. On the other hand, driving my old Z4 is a relax experience with the existence of nice handling. Yes, it handles not as good as a Cayman S,but not far off.

Last edited by ny911; 07-23-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0