E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to reset e90 Transmission

07-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Thavee
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2005 e90  [0.00]
How to reset e90 Transmission

Hello,

Does anyone know how to reset e90 transmission? Can I disable this function?
It kicks from 2nd gear to 3rd gear just around 2000 rpm, also when I hold on the pedal for a few seconds at any gear, it kicks up to another gear. That causes me in missing the passing chance. For example, when I hold the pedal at around 4000 (3rd gear) for few seconds, it kicks up to 4 gear and then 5th gear thereafter.

This annoying.

Thanks for the contribution.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Putting it in sport mode will hold gears longer
      07-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Thavee
Private
Rep

Garage List
2005 e90  [0.00]
Nop

Thanks for the advice, but I just need to control the pedal in Automatic mode, not DS. Has anyone heard about Adaptive Transmission? The car learned the driving style first 30 km of driving.

The car was driven by a lady. It was a daily driving to supermarket style, so the transmission just keep on kicking up.

That was her driving style. Stepped gas few seconds, then lifted, stepped, lifted.

The car memory is a kind of corrupted. This driving style yileds poor mileage.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yes I think there is a thread that had a DIY reset for the transmission shift patterns.
      07-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavee View Post
Thanks for the advice, but I just need to control the pedal in Automatic mode, not DS. Has anyone heard about Adaptive Transmission? The car learned the driving style first 30 km of driving.

The car was driven by a lady. It was a daily driving to supermarket style, so the transmission just keep on kicking up.

That was her driving style. Stepped gas few seconds, then lifted, stepped, lifted.

The car memory is a kind of corrupted. This driving style yileds poor mileage.

Thanks again.

OK, try this throttle pedal reset

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=gearbox+reset

"1. Turn cars electronics on-push start button once or twice without turning the actual engine on.

2.Hold the gas pedal to the floor for 25 seconds
3. Most times you will hear the gearbox resetting itself and hear some "noise" coming from your car but not always noticable so dont worry if you dont
4 Now start your car and enjoy the gearbox reset to its factor settings and open for all new learning. The shifts are silky smooth again and shift points shift faster-basically it totally makes your tranny perform better. "
      07-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Let us know if it helps
      07-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

ummmmm well if e90fleet back this up I'm going to get it a try
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

It works. Thank you Fleet.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

im calling for a sticky or at least in the DIY master list.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Fleet, I've tried it before, and it did not work for me, I felt like an idiot sitting in the car, pressing on the gas pedal.

Do you have any inside information that this works?

There's no indication of when the computer 'reset's the transmission, i.e. no visual or audio alert to inform you that, 'yep, the transmission learn patter's been reset'
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Let us know if it helps
      07-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #11
Thavee
Private
Rep

Garage List
2005 e90  [0.00]
Wink Thanks

I tried before according to some bimmer forum posted, but I thought the process was for S7 and S5. It did not work so.

The procedure posted here is quite different. Will try. Thanks again for all your contributions.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
ultmachine
Private
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Well congratulations if the transmission reset works and it fixes the issue you're having, but somehow I just can't believe that the transmission actually learns how you drive, adapts to it, and then has that set in stone. Sure it learns and adapts, but the transmission is probably "reset" or whatever whenever someone with a new key starts the car, or more probably even every time the car is restarted period...I would actually guess that the transmission learns/adapts continuously as you drive the car, meaning in one 10 minute time period it acts one way (say in stop and go traffic), and completely differently when you finally get out of traffic and drive more aggressively.

It just wouldn't make sense to have a car's transmission act only a certain way for the rest of the car's life after only the first few miles.

So I guess what I'm saying is your tranny may be misbehaving due to something else and not because of what it has learned.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
canucklion
Canada
Rep

the transmission DOES adapt to your driving and keeps that profile in the DME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultmachine View Post
Well congratulations if the transmission reset works and it fixes the issue you're having, but somehow I just can't believe that the transmission actually learns how you drive, adapts to it, and then has that set in stone. Sure it learns and adapts, but the transmission is probably "reset" or whatever whenever someone with a new key starts the car, or more probably even every time the car is restarted period...I would actually guess that the transmission learns/adapts continuously as you drive the car, meaning in one 10 minute time period it acts one way (say in stop and go traffic), and completely differently when you finally get out of traffic and drive more aggressively.

It just wouldn't make sense to have a car's transmission act only a certain way for the rest of the car's life after only the first few miles.

So I guess what I'm saying is your tranny may be misbehaving due to something else and not because of what it has learned.
      07-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #14
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
the transmission DOES adapt to your driving and keeps that profile in the DME.
you are correct. i believe this does work. canuck, are you pushing down all the way? obviously im sure you are, just making sure. also e90fleet said you MAY hear a sound. maybe you havent driven it enough to notice a difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
ultmachine
Private
Rep
Drives: 325xi

No I agree, the car does adapt to your driving style, but I said there's no way it uses that information FOREVER (or even for very long) when you drive the car. Just think about it, that'd be a terrible feature. When the car leaves the factory it gets driven by someone, when it reaches the US it gets driven again by someone else, and for at least some customers at certain dealerships, the car gets driven yet a third time as a final test by the dealership before the customer ever gets delivery (hence why any new car will never have 0 miles on the odo.) If this business about permanent adaptation was correct, every new BMW customer would be screwed and the transmission was never adjusted to your driving style but instead, to that of the 3 people who previously drove it.

So again, ya I agree it stores information, but uses it very temporarily it automatically gets reset quickly and often.

And so, a misbehaving transmission is not acting weird just because of what it has learned, if you drove it for any reasonable length of time it would readjust.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultmachine View Post
No I agree, the car does adapt to your driving style, but I said there's no way it uses that information FOREVER (or even for very long) when you drive the car. Just think about it, that'd be a terrible feature. When the car leaves the factory it gets driven by someone, when it reaches the US it gets driven again by someone else, and for at least some customers at certain dealerships, the car gets driven yet a third time as a final test by the dealership before the customer ever gets delivery (hence why any new car will never have 0 miles on the odo.) If this business about permanent adaptation was correct, every new BMW customer would be screwed and the transmission was never adjusted to your driving style but instead, to that of the 3 people who previously drove it.

So again, ya I agree it stores information, but uses it very temporarily it automatically gets reset quickly and often.

And so, a misbehaving transmission is not acting weird just because of what it has learned, if you drove it for any reasonable length of time it would readjust.
my understanding is the transmission has several "maps" or modes to choose from.
The CPU is constantly monitoring data such as wheel speed, engine speed, throttle position, & G force, rate of acceleration, & braking/ deceleration. Then it compares the last data point as a reference baseline and selects the proper program. It updates every few seconds (perhaps faster?)and chooses the appropriate map/mode.

Try this....drive for a short while in DS or D for that matter like a grandma. then move the throttle up and down rapidly a few times. Then step on it....you will notice a faster down shift and response to your input when compared to driving like grandma.

Fleet your level of brilliance and technological sophistication is unsurpassed. How you find some of the stuff you do I will never know. Personally I think your sitting over there in Munich monitoring this post.

Honestly I tried this trick and noticed no difference (like canuck lion). Perhaps this only works on the GM transmissions and not the ZF. I have driven the 325 & 328 with the GM and can feel the difference from my 330.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #17
canucklion
Canada
Rep

you brought up a good point, perhaps there is a difference in resetting the transmission between the ZF and the GM unit

fizzle: yip, I pressed down on it for a good while, must've been longer than 30 secs, I didn't hear any noise, and drove the car right afterwards, didn't feel a difference, I'll give it one more try and report back tomorrow

edit: just saw that fizzle has 330i as well, and it works for him, uzzled: well, regardless, I'll try again tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
Honestly I tried this trick and noticed no difference (like canuck lion). Perhaps this only works on the GM transmissions and not the ZF. I have driven the 325 & 328 with the GM and can feel the difference from my 330.
      07-25-2007, 03:39 AM   #18
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post

All US 325i have ZF auto transmissions, just like the 330i
Only the 328i have the GM transmission
      07-25-2007, 03:44 AM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

As far as I know this procedure resets the throttle maps ( as I said above)

5 Series owners with the same transmissions report a large difference

Remeber, unless the car has many thousands of miles on it you are not going to feel any difference. Nor if the current map is close to standard
      07-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #20
canucklion
Canada
Rep

how is this reset process different than the one done by the dealer?

Quote:
As far as I know this procedure resets the throttle maps ( as I said above)

5 Series owners with the same transmissions report a large difference

Remeber, unless the car has many thousands of miles on it you are not going to feel any difference. Nor if the current map is close to standard
      07-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #21
Thavee
Private
Rep

Garage List
2005 e90  [0.00]
Smile FInally

Finally, I took my 325i to the dealer and reset the transmission. Here were what I had tried

1. disconnected the battery for several minutes and connected back. Noppp

2. Put the key in, stepped on gas 25 secs, stepped on brake while another foot was on gas, pressed start, lifted the gas pedal suddenly. (I heard that this worked with S5 and S7). Nopp, not for e90

After having the car back from the dealer, the throttle responses better now but not as well as the 320i that I owned before.

The 320i that I had before went up to 6500 every gear (D mode). Just gently depressed on the gas pedal down to the floor, no need to kick down.

Anyway, I will try according to E90Fleet.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
All US 325i have ZF auto transmissions, just like the 330i
Only the 328i have the GM transmission
I stand corrected...my loaner (for busted TCU) was a 328(not 325)....was not aware that 325i bound for US was made with the ZF.

Is the ZF transmission the same between the 330 & the 335?

Last edited by smellthebeans; 07-25-2007 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0