E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Why Do I Bother Modding..... Help!!

07-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Red Ice BMW
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325D

Hi folks, i ordered matt black grills for the car and had ti fit them as soon as they arrived !! I followed the DIY guide in here which makes it look so easy!! All 4 torx scews undone, no issue, passenger grill nightmare!! Once passed these the drivers side was much easier. New grills popped in place all secure, excellent. First 3 torx screw easy peasy......... Then the pain!! 4th one very right hand side looking at the engine just won't grab the thread!! So i undo the rest (like a clown) go back and try the problem one, still no joy. So i take the little metal clip out that the torx screws into and try and straighten it. Another go and still no joy. So i think i'll buy a new clip. Pop it back in but noooo its dropped into the engine bay :-(. Is it safe to drive?

I then try the other 3 torx screws and now another 2 are doing the same :-( so I currently have one screw holding my front grill/bumper in place. It seems secure enough when the bonnets down but jeez!!

Anyone else had the same issue? Can i buy new metal clips/screws? Will I be ok driving?

Cheers,
H
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Brother! Welcome! Welcome to the AOotTCH! (Ancient Order of the Terminally Cack Handed)

Don't believe 'how to' guides and 'it took 5 minutes MAX!' comments. Don't attempt this sort of stuff. Know your limits! AOotTCH members reached out to me when I realised I couldn't even put on an 'E90 Post' sticker straight. They will welcome you too!

Take it to a man of spanners and let's hear no more about it...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Red Ice BMW
Private
Scotland
Rep

Haha thanks mate, I'll be an honourary member soon.

Guys anyone fitted these and felt likethe bottom part is going to come off with a slight tug? I think I need to refit tomorrow. Only one way to learn and its attack it head on!!

Help!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
NavG
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325d M Sport

Yep, fitted mine earlier this week - you gotta make sure the bottom 2 clips are really in, just brace the front bumper from behind so it doesn't flex every time you try and push the bottom clips in and then just push really hard at the bottom of the grill till it clips in.

Alternatively remove the grill completely and align all the clips and push the bottom ones in first then the headlight one and then the top ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

About the screw: I dropped a screw into my engine bay today as a matter of fact. I was freaking out. Just went on my driveway (which is angled a little) and gave the car a little gas, it fell right out. I would try to do that to see if it falls out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
I did my own grills and never had any issues. Though I agree with the above about not believing the fools that claim to do it in 5 mins. Took me 20 just to get the originals out and a few more popping the new ones in making sure everything was straight and secure.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

+1

Did it myself in 20 mins tops, even painted the chromes myself.
Didn't experience any issues removing or replacing the screws.

Probably just lucky... now I'll never make it into the AOotTCH

Bonnet overlaps the bumper and you're only going fast in a forward direction so you should be OK
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

We don't want your sort.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Red Ice BMW
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavG View Post
Yep, fitted mine earlier this week - you gotta make sure the bottom 2 clips are really in, just brace the front bumper from behind so it doesn't flex every time you try and push the bottom clips in and then just push really hard at the bottom of the grill till it clips in.

Alternatively remove the grill completely and align all the clips and push the bottom ones in first then the headlight one and then the top ones.
Eventually got there mate, it was pretty much what you said, the bottom sort of flexed while the top clicked in meaning the bottom hadn't gone in. Started from scratch took my time and boom fixed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
About the screw: I dropped a screw into my engine bay today as a matter of fact. I was freaking out. Just went on my driveway (which is angled a little) and gave the car a little gas, it fell right out. I would try to do that to see if it falls out.
I had a look around the engine bay and it looks to have gone fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B005T3D-G View Post
I did my own grills and never had any issues. Though I agree with the above about not believing the fools that claim to do it in 5 mins. Took me 20 just to get the originals out and a few more popping the new ones in making sure everything was straight and secure.
Yeah getting the first one out was a pain in the hoop haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler View Post
+1

Did it myself in 20 mins tops, even painted the chromes myself.
Didn't experience any issues removing or replacing the screws.

Probably just lucky... now I'll never make it into the AOotTCH

Bonnet overlaps the bumper and you're only going fast in a forward direction so you should be OK
Showwww offff haha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
We don't want your sort.
Take it I'm out as well now that I've sorted it ??
Appreciate 0