E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Another suspension question

07-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Another suspension question

I am looking into tightening up my suspension, but not go overboard.

I want compliant and stable, but "dropped" or "aggressive".

on tire rack they suggest for the 335d the H&R springs, and keep them on stock struts. (I do not have the sport package).

I am told the H&R sport cup package will make the ride much harsher.

Puerto Rican 335d has suggested I go for the Koni FSD's but I have found not one post on someone having actually put this on a 335D.

The H&R springs looks like a good and cheap bet, but I am hoping to get some people inputs and let me know if I am a moron for things a cheap spring swap will stop my body roll.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post

on tire rack they suggest for the 335d the H&R springs, and keep them on stock struts. (I do not have the sport package).

Puerto Rican 335d has suggested I go for the Koni FSD's but I have found not one post on someone having actually put this on a 335D.

The H&R springs looks like a good and cheap bet, but I am hoping to get some people inputs and let me know if I am a moron for things a cheap spring swap will stop my body roll.
That's terrible advise -- shame on Tire Rack. The stock dampers will not be able to handle the spring rate and lower ride height of the H&R's. I think you will find it a punishing a ride.

If you want a lower ride height there are many options out there depending on your budget, how "low" you want to go and how stiff. Do you plan to routinely track your car or is the goal to stiffen things up a bit (reduce body roll), and a more agressive look?

A few options come to mind...

EPK springs w/Koni FSD's
BMW Performance Suspension
Eibach Pro System (springs and matched shocks)
Eibach MultiPro Coilovers

Last edited by cssnms; 07-20-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Coilovers ?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
http://www.hpashop.com/

Call Harold From HP Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post

That's terrible advise -- shame on Tire Rack. The stock dampers will not be able to handle the spring rate and lower ride height of the H&R's. I think you will find it a punishing a ride.

If you want a lower ride height there are many options out there depending on your budget, how "low" you want to go and how stiff. Do you plan to routinely track your car or is the goal to stiffen things up a bit (reduce body roll), and a more agressive look?

A few options come to mind...

EPK springs w/Koni FSD's
BMW Performance Suspension
Eibach Pro System (springs and matched shocks)
Eibach MultiPro Coilovers
Thanks! I am looking to stiffen the ride and reduce body roll. I have a section of road on my drive home that allows for acceleration but has enough traffic in my way it requires several lane changes to avoid the Prius' and SUV's. The amount of body roll during these changes makes me loose confidence in my drive, compared to the sport line options I have had in other models.

Looks of lower is not my concern at all, but I know hight has something to do with roll.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

For what you describe....

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

You will not be able to find something better for your intended purpose. But if you have not changed out your stock OEM run-flat tires (which I assume are on 17" wheels) for something more performance oriented you are doing yourself a diservice -- the suspension will over-match the capabilties of your tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
For what you describe....

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

You will not be able to find something better for your intended purpose. But if you have not changed out your stock OEM run-flat tires (which I assume are on 17" wheels) for something more performance oriented you are doing yourself a diservice -- the suspension will over-match the capabilties of your tires.
Looks great. Do you know anyone who has done this modification on the 335d? I had the dealership look into the BMW Performance Suspension a while back. It was awhile ago, and I don't remember the conversation verbatim, but the impression I got was that they didn't think it would work on the d. They might have said something about the increased weight upfront due to the engine... but as I said, I can't quite remember. Suffice it to say, I left the conversation annoyed that it wouldn't work. I also think the BMWUSA site doesn't offer the same suspension for the 335d as an option. It shows up on the list of option for the 335i, but then vanishes when searched on 335d criteria. Any ideas on what's up with that?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgman View Post
Looks great. Do you know anyone who has done this modification on the 335d? I had the dealership look into the BMW Performance Suspension a while back. It was awhile ago, and I don't remember the conversation verbatim, but the impression I got was that they didn't think it would work on the d. They might have said something about the increased weight upfront due to the engine... but as I said, I can't quite remember. Suffice it to say, I left the conversation annoyed that it wouldn't work. I also think the BMWUSA site doesn't offer the same suspension for the 335d as an option. It shows up on the list of option for the 335i, but then vanishes when searched on 335d criteria. Any ideas on what's up with that?
The suspension on the d is the same based on my research -- before upgrading my suspension I compared part numbers with Evan Tischer.

I installed Eibach Pro Kit springs meant for the 335i on my 335d along with the Old BMW Performance shocks that were intended for the 335i and it's been great a set-up. The only reasons I didn't go with the new kit is because of the blow out sale price on the Old Performance shocks and I wanted a slightly lower ride height than the new Performance kit offers.
Appreciate 0