E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Nintendo Wii U

11-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Nintendo Wii U

Anyone able to give me a bit of advice.

Our kids aged 5 and 7 want a Wii for Christmas. Firstly I need to decide whether to get the Wii or Wii U. They haven't mentioned the U but I'm just wondering whether it makes more sense to now buy the latest model. Price isn't a major issue if it makes a lot more sense to buy the U.

Are games from the standard Wii able to be played on the U, don't think there seem to be a lot of games at the moment for the U especially looking at ones aimed at their age group.

Whichever console I buy, what controllers etc do I need to buy to add to the standard setup, is it necessary to have two controllers? Are many games two player?

Finally what games should I get to keep them amused, nothing too complex given their ages.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
The Wii U is backwards compatible, at their age though i don't know how much they would benefit from the newer Wii as its aimed much more at Xbox PS3 gamers then the "Wii" gamers.
You should be able to get some good bundle with the old Wii so you should be able to find some which include a few controllers. With the Wii U being so new you might have to buy more controllers separately.
As for games, on the Wii there are loads of mario games and lego games, less so for the wii u but there are a few games like mario.
      11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

I would get the Wii U. If its backwards compatible, that'll save you forking out for the U at one of their birthdays when all their friends get it at christmas.

Then you will only need to save for the xbox 720 and PS4 when they come out in a year or so, and they will want them too.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Your 7 yr old is the problem!! They'll be more aware of stuff so if you get the standard Wii (which is the sensible choice) and likely be wanting the next best thing whereas you 5 yr old might not yet be affected by this 'peer' pressure. Of course, as Dad, I'd likely use your eldest as a bloody good excuse to get the WiiU (though not necessary for the ages your talking about!).

I generally hoover up virtually new games for the Wii on eBay, usually for a fiver, maybe a tenner tops if newer. Kids don't have the need for brand new games so why waste your money - obviously not so effective with something new like the U.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

This kinda matches my thoughts, reckon the standard Wii is fine for their needs and its considerably cheaper but don't want them having it a few months and wanting the U then.

Reading a bit on the U it seems the controller is probably too big and awkward for young kids so that might be a factor.

Can someone explain about controllers, looking at a Wii bundle in argos which comes with one controller and one nunchuk ....... what does the later do and do I really want to buying two of each controller.

And anyone any games relevant to that age group that you are finished with and want to sell cheap??
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
The nunchuk is rarely used as far as I can tell (only Super Mario Galaxy from our small collection). You'll probably need 2 controllers then see what games require as you buy them (think there's a logo on the compatible games. eBay is your friend here for everything; loads of very lightly used Wii related stuff. You might even pick up a decent pre-Christmas fire-sale bundle with everything in - problem being people's may hold onto the better games to be used on the Wii U so you end up with a load of cack!

As for suggested titles, God knows, there's load. A Nintendo rule of thumb over the years is 'if its got Mario/Zelda in it'll be great'. These are their flagship characters so don't often put out a dud.

I know what you mean about the Wii U controllers, they look big & awkward, and more likely to break if dropped (which will happen!).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0