E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > I'm thinking about trading in my 335i coupe in for this

03-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Car reviews show this Challenger has better handling then its v6/5.7 v8 compatriots.
Putting all the ergonomics aside, the car looks like a beast. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with it as this is the only car that looks like "retro muscle" in its category(camaro and mustang just don't look old school)

And if you need a Japanese look version of the SRT8 with 4 doors, go for the Charger srt as you will save a lot of $$$ as well ....(I seriously love how the Charger's front looks like a GTR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Mustang GT: 5.0L V8
Power: 412 bhp @ 6,500 rpm
Torque: 390 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm

Camaro SS: 6.2L V8
Power: 426 bhp @ 5900 rpm
Torque: 420 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm

Challenger SRT8: 6.4L V8
Power: 470 bhp
Torque: 470 lb-ft

Funny thing is though that the Challenger is the slowest and the mustang is the fastest mainly due to the weight advantage.

Personally, the Challenger SRT8 is 100% the best looking out of all of them. That's an awesome car and the interior isn't as plasticy as some people say it is. If you don't mind sacrificing handling for a bad @ss car then go for it.
The new 6.4 v8 (392) in the challanger is quite a bit faster then the older hemi version of 6.1 v8. So it might be faster then the camaro ss or GT as this 6.4 has 470hp
      03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
SAM135iAM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i DCT

It's your money and you will do with it as you please. There is a lot of mixed opinions from everyone about what your decision should be, but I don't feel we have enough understanding of why you are wanting a new car and are considering the challenger. My question is what will be the purpose of the new car you choose? If you're just looking for a direct replacement to whatever you feel you get from your 335i, I doubt you will find it in the challenger. If you're wanting a muscle car you're in the wrong year. You need to go back about 45 years.

My personal opinion, if I was in the situation to purchase a new car and wanted a muscle car, would be to purchase a late 60's early 70's muscle car. I would keep my current vehicle as a daily, or maybe in your case sell the 335i for an economical vehicle ie. accord, focus, etc... and have the muscle car in my garage to work on and drive on sunny days.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #25
Aventador97
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mustang Cobra and Mustang V6

I would pick what ever car you enjoy driving the most. At the end of the day, its all about which one you would rather wake up to and drive. I love bmws and muscle cars (we have a mustang cobra) but they are different animals that have very different appeals. All that being said the challenger is one of those cars that is just awesome in the attitude it has driving or sitting still. Which ever way you choose enjoy the car and best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Looks better than a Mustang but I would much rather get a Mustang GT. Cheaper, faster, more HP
SRT takes the 1320.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8*Apex View Post
The challenger is the only American muscle car
I would say this is true as stated in the quote. I'd also include the Charger. Not the Mustang or Camaro though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
6. Suspension was so soft it felt like a boat. I can't imagine the better versions feeling any different.
BMW aren't the only ones tightening suspension up as you go up the line. Do you expect a base 328 to have the same suspension as the M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
That's an awesome car and the interior isn't as plasticy as some people say it is
Yeah can't remember exactly which year they upgraded the interior, but it's pretty good now, very good in muscle car terms.

The 392 is an excellent car for what it's supposed to be. OP, if that's what you're looking for, then get the car. It goes like stink and sounds like sex. Plus those things can look pretty freakin mean when cosmetically enhanced correctly. Not to mention the power adders available.... I almost got one.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #27
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
SDV325
N54 or N55?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 99 Impreza 2.5RS

its a Dodge, the laughing stock of the automotive manufacturers.

They are big and slow, made of plastic and brake around every corner.

In one of the latest episodes of TopGear they made a very very accurate statement regarding the new Shelby Mustang GT500, its a great car, looks, power, legacy however the biggest thing that it lacks is refinement. Sure a mustang (not the Shelby) on paper its a good as an M3, however at the end of the day it just lacks a certain finess that American cars will never have.

Same thing came up when they tested the Z06 Corvette, amazing car on the track and for what it costs blew a Ferrari out of the water, however proper cars are just more refined.

Last edited by SDV325; 03-07-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDV325 View Post
Sure on paper its a good as an M3.
WTF kind of paper you talking about? Magic paper? The M3 is nowhere near the Shelby on paper except for price. Maybe you're thinking of the BOSS or GT which are comparable to the M3 on paper? I also think it's kind of funny people take TGUK reviews as gospel. It's entertainment first for them; that's what makes the show so great. Their auto reviews are meant to be taken with a grain of salt. They make a lot of great points but add to it all for entertainment value and sometimes just because they know they'll get a rise out of people. It doesn't make me like the show any less, bit I'm just surprised how many people hang on their every word as truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
SDV325
N54 or N55?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 99 Impreza 2.5RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
WTF kind of paper you talking about? Magic paper? The M3 is nowhere near the Shelby on paper except for price. Maybe you're thinking of the BOSS or GT which are comparable to the M3 on paper? I also think it's kind of funny people take TGUK reviews as gospel. It's entertainment first for them; that's what makes the show so great. Their auto reviews are meant to be taken with a grain of salt. They make a lot of great points but add to it all for entertainment value and sometimes just because they know they'll get a rise out of people. It doesn't make me like the show any less, bit I'm just surprised how many people hang on their every word as truth.
ah crap miss typed that a little, it was the mustang GT that is very similar. Might have been car and driver that did a comparison between the two, track times specifically and the GT was right on par or just behind the M3. Was a track in SoCal that the two cars were tested, was around the time the new GT just came out but can't remember exactly the publication. I was quite shocked too see that Ford had really stepped up their game.
      03-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
SRT takes the 1320.

What's a 1320?

Quote:
ah crap miss typed that a little, it was the mustang GT that is very similar. Might have been car and driver that did a comparison between the two, track times specifically and the GT was right on par or just behind the M3. Was a track in SoCal that the two cars were tested, was around the time the new GT just came out but can't remember exactly the publication. I was quite shocked too see that Ford had really stepped up their game.
You mean Motortrend.

Maximums 2011 BMW M3 2011Ford Mustang GT
Lap time, sec 87.67 87.76
Top speed, mph 107.7 106.8
Highest accel g 0.47 0.39
Highest braking g 0.9 0.95
Max lateral g 1.32 1.3
QUARTER MILE 12.8 sec @ 110.9 mph 12.7 sec @ 111.6 mph
BASE PRICE $60,575 $30,495

The price difference is insane for the performance you get.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Oh OK that makes sense. Maybe you're talking about the test with Pobst at Streets of Willow? They did choose the M3 in that one, I believe due to the refinement.

EDIT: Yeah Inspired posted the stats from exactly that I think.

Quote:
What's a 1320?
It's how many feet are in a quarter mile.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #33
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
What's a 1320?

You mean Motortrend.

Maximums 2011 BMW M3 2011Ford Mustang GT
Lap time, sec 87.67 87.76
Top speed, mph 107.7 106.8
Highest accel g 0.47 0.39
Highest braking g 0.9 0.95
Max lateral g 1.32 1.3
QUARTER MILE 12.8 sec @ 110.9 mph 12.7 sec @ 111.6 mph
BASE PRICE $60,575 $30,495

The price difference is insane for the performance you get.
I'm suprised more people don't see that. You could buy 2 mustangs in different colors to drive when you please compared to one m3 lol. or even buy one mustang and a honda accord for daily driving. I really think bmw's prices are going to need to come down the next couple years with the competition rising.
Even if i had the money for the m3, I would really see that 30k savings as good number of other things.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
I'm suprised more people don't see that. You could buy 2 mustangs in different colors to drive when you please compared to one m3 lol. or even buy one mustang and a honda accord for daily driving. I really think bmw's prices are going to need to come down the next couple years with the competition rising.
Even if i had the money for the m3, I would really see that 30k savings as good number of other things.
That is true, but BMW is still a luxury manufacturer. Everyone who reviewed the new Mustang said that the performance was amazing, but every time you sat inside and got out, it still felt like the 20k rental car. I'm not sure who said this (might have been on this forum), but a mustang is a performance car, a BMW is a performance car in an expensive Canali suit. If you have the money... which would you rather have? I would take the BMW for the luxury and comfort alone any day. Its not like you are going to be tracking the car every day (in which case, the whole story would be different...)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #35
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
That is true, but BMW is still a luxury manufacturer. Everyone who reviewed the new Mustang said that the performance was amazing, but every time you sat inside and got out, it still felt like the 20k rental car. I'm not sure who said this (might have been on this forum), but a mustang is a performance car, a BMW is a performance car in an expensive Canali suit. If you have the money... which would you rather have? I would take the BMW for the luxury and comfort alone any day. Its not like you are going to be tracking the car every day (in which case, the whole story would be different...)
That is true to some extent but the newer mustang really stepped up their interior. I don't remember rentals having leather seats and navigation nor a giant LCD screen on the dash.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #36
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Why do the steering wheels on the mustang have to be so damn big??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #37
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

That interior looks fabulous on the Mustang. They've really stepped it up a notch.
Appreciate 0