E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HELP! Reinstalling stock springs!

04-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OVER SLOW LEFT LANE DRIVERS!

HELP! Reinstalling stock springs!

so I am taking off my coilovers and I need to reuse the top hats as the H&R set doesn't come with them.

I compressed the front springs almost all the way and I still can't seem to get everything put together correctly and to be honest it's kind of scary have the springs compressed so much.

Has anyone had to put together a stock spring and stock strut? I need some advice or tricks to get it put together without going to a shop with a wall mounted spring compressor.

Thanks!
      04-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezofchuck View Post
so I am taking off my coilovers and I need to reuse the top hats as the H&R set doesn't come with them.

I compressed the front springs almost all the way and I still can't seem to get everything put together correctly and to be honest it's kind of scary have the springs compressed so much.

Has anyone had to put together a stock spring and stock strut? I need some advice or tricks to get it put together without going to a shop with a wall mounted spring compressor.

Thanks!
what is your problem? Are you using hand tools? I know it's really hard to take the top but off with hand tools because the strut will turn. I usually use an impact and just gun it off and on. Make sure the rubber bushings and the springs are sitting correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

I know what you mean its tough and you have to be very careful on where you place spring compressor so it doesnt pop off and hurt you. I set the spring on the strut and find the gap to put the spring compressor. You have to use all the coils to get it low for the bolt to touch after the top hat is placed. It took several trys for me to find the right spot, its really a pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
GO TO SHOP. would make life easier.

compressing the stock spring is a bitch using regular spring compressors. Its very hard to get the springs compressed enough with no pressure to take it off. i could only imagine how difficult it would be to put it back on properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
what is your problem? Are you using hand tools? I know it's really hard to take the top but off with hand tools because the strut will turn. I usually use an impact and just gun it off and on. Make sure the rubber bushings and the springs are sitting correctly.
I was using my impact to compress but with it almost completely compressed I still couldnt find enough room to get the top hat screwed on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingman View Post
I know what you mean its tough and you have to be very careful on where you place spring compressor so it doesnt pop off and hurt you. I set the spring on the strut and find the gap to put the spring compressor. You have to use all the coils to get it low for the bolt to touch after the top hat is placed. It took several trys for me to find the right spot, its really a pain.
The problem is you have to have the compressor grab 4 coils to bring it down all the way - which is scary - and I couldn't get the top hat on esp bc the compressors got in the way. To the shop I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
GO TO SHOP. would make life easier.

compressing the stock spring is a bitch using regular spring compressors. Its very hard to get the springs compressed enough with no pressure to take it off. i could only imagine how difficult it would be to put it back on properly.
yep - I remember taking them off and the top hat popped off a little bit which was scary - this is damn near impossible to get it back on....shop time!
      04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

If you really don't want to go to a shop, You can always try the ghetto way. Put your springs into place with the top hat on without the nut. Install the strut back onto the car, out the tires back on, lower the car, then get the nut on from under the hood. I did this of my 240 way back lol, it's really ghetto though
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
deezofchuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post
If you really don't want to go to a shop, You can always try the ghetto way. Put your springs into place with the top hat on without the nut. Install the strut back onto the car, out the tires back on, lower the car, then get the nut on from under the hood. I did this of my 240 way back lol, it's really ghetto though
well I reinstalled my H&R this way and it was much easier to maneuver - another fun thing about XI is that the drive shaft locks when it is pulled out too far and it's a BITCH to get it to align and put back in - let's just say this weekend sucked esp bc I didnt finish what i started!
      04-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I had a similar issue. Couldn't compress springs enough to put top hat back on.

ended up borrowing a second set of spring compressors and used both sets to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

^+1

I can tell you right now that it is physically impossible to use one set of regular spring compressors to compress the stock front springs enough to put them back into the struct. I ended up using 2x spring compressors, and even then, it was a total bitch. I almost broke my finger when the spring compressor slid out of place. After hours of struggle I managed to get literally only 1 thread to screw the nut in place. Aftermarket shortened springs are much easier to work with.
Appreciate 0