E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear window tints for the E92

07-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

Rear window tints for the E92

Guys, been planning to get my windows tinted but noticed when cleaning the other day the rear window has lots of little black dots at the top of the glass.

I know the edges of the windows have them too and it's often these areas where you get air between the tint and the glass.

I therefore assume it will be unlikely to get a good job for the tint at the top of the rear screen. I also noticed a poorly tinted E92 the other day with this exact problem!

So, what are people's experience of this? Is there a way to avoid it? Is there anywhere around Surrey that's really good at getting an OEM appearance with aftermarket film?

All help appreciated
      07-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Taz335DSA
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport Auto

dubdemand,

Basically, I think it near on impossible to get the OEM look with after market film, especially with the 'dot matrix' effect on BMW glass.
I had my E92 done, (very slight tint on front windows, but a darker tint on rears and rear screen).
The chap who did them made me aware that they would not be able to get them flush but he would try his best. He did tell me that, if I was prepared to allow them to flat the areas with sanding paper (or something similar), then that would get a better finish, but I wasn't about to let him loose with anything that could have damaged the rear heating elements in the screen.
I had it done and after a few weeks, once the paper had settled, it did look a bit better but no where near as good as OEM.
The other option is to get the glass replaced, but I certainly would not recommend this, after seeing / hearing horror stories about ill fitting / leaking replacement glass ... T
      07-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I've heard rumors that some have actually got tint to look good over the dot matrix... but what works well and easily is to just have the tint shop use a strip of black vinyl to cover the matrix and then tint from there down. For some reason the vinyl will stick better than the tint film so no air in between vinyl and glass to look bad.
Appreciate 0