E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > DTEC V7 Angel Eye Review

Closed Thread

08-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
DTEC V7 Angel Eye Review

Hate to cross post but I wanted to share this with my E9x brothers and sisters:

Like many of you I have been on a relentless search for a plug and play bulb solution to modernize the look of my beloved E90 M3. As a former headlight HID/LED retrofitter I have very high standards on what I think would be an acceptable solution. Of course dedicated LED rings replacing the OEM optical piping would be the most logical solution. However, I desperately wanted to keep the OEM look and find aftermarket LED rings to be a bit flashy for my tastes. So my quest has led me to try every plug and play solution out there (GP Thunders, 20 Watt LEDs, Hyperwhite Halogen Bulbs) Unfortunately, nothing came close to matching the stock halogen output which was a critical requirement for me.

So one day I was browsing E92-Lighting.com and came across the DTEC V7 product page. I was intrigued by the unique LED layout it had compared to the countless other LED bulbs out there. Each DTEC bulb has eight CREE XLamp LEDs which is double the amount you typically get in a CREE LED H8 bulb. The heat sinks are quite sizable and give you a hint of the amount of cooling needed for these high powered LEDs. Installation was typical, they sure didn't leave a whole lot of room in our headlights did they.

After replacing the driver side bulb I thought it would be a good idea to take a comparison shot. I've noticed people who post output pictures tend to position their cars in lightning conditions that make things look brighter than they really are (ex. Parking in the shade). I didn't want to do that. So here you have a DIRECT sunlight shot with the DTEC V7 bulb on the right and OEM on the left.

As you can see the DTEC light output is the same if not better than stock. These angel eyes ARE visible during the day. Here are a few more shots I took during sunset:

The light distribution in the outer ring is surprisingly pretty even, this remains true even at an off angle.

In my opinion these are by far the best plug and play LED bulb solution currently out there. A few key features that stand out:
  • The bulbs produce a pleasant white OEM light output, they match the stock HIDs perfectly.
  • Even light distribution among the outer ring
  • Fade in and out like stock bulbs (No Flickering)
  • Angel eyes are at full output even with the engine off
  • Angel eyes do not dim when headlights are on

Special thanks goes out to E92-Lighting for selling such a great product and finally putting my angel eye problem to rest! I couldn't be happier with the results!
      08-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

really nice review of the lights. care to disclose how much you got discounted if you wrote a positive review?
      08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
really nice review of the lights. care to disclose how much you got discounted if you wrote a positive review?
Not sure what you mean, I did not receive any discount on these bulbs.
      08-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Completely different pictures compared to this one: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870377

I was very close in purchasing the V7's after seeing your pictures, but realized it is probably going to look the same as every other LED upgrade as shown in the link above.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton1017 View Post
Completely different pictures compared to this one: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870377

I was very close in purchasing the V7's after seeing your pictures, but realized it is probably going to look the same as every other LED upgrade as shown in the link above.
The OP in that thread took pictures at a very obtuse angle. If you notice the stock OEM lighting also looks pretty poor. Again, I've tried a bunch of drop in LED and Halogen "upgrades" and none have come close to the performance of these bulbs.
      08-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
deceptiv.335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Nice review. Quite frankly though going by pictures is always deceiving I'd have to see them in person.

So far I tried the LUX h8 V3 and GP thunder 8500k both gave me the same result, except the LUX was way brighter, but we're not lighting the road here with AE's are we? that's what the HID's are for.

The outer ring on both my applications dim so much in comparison to the inner ring that it almost looks like the outside ring is a different color of light, it just a big issue with the housing. If you're not OCD and you want white bright lights, then go for these or with the LUX.. but if you are OCD and you want your car to look anything close to LCI then throw 25 bux GP thunders in your car and save money for OSS.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Op you said - "was intrigued by the unique LED layout it had compared to the countless other LED bulbs out there." Yes that is because they have copied our design and we will be suing them once our US Patent clears, which should be shortly. E92-lighting has already been notified about this infringement.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
thaking
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 FL / F31 FL

Buy GP Thunder 8500 for 10% of these price !
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Op you said - "was intrigued by the unique LED layout it had compared to the countless other LED bulbs out there." Yes that is because they have copied our design and we will be suing them once our US Patent clears, which should be shortly. E92-lighting has already been notified about this infringement.
So putting more cree LED's is copying your design? If I put 10 per replacement light, are you going to sue me? You guys are mad that these are almost half the price, yet better! I just purchased these for my 11' E90 335 M sport and they are killer. The other day it was in the 90's and very bright out...my girlfriend was driving in front of me and said when she looked into her mirror, my angel eyes were clear, bright, and crisp...especially even too. These are much better than the V3's I had and look much better than my friends V4's. He tried to return his V4's because they were crap yet you guys wouldn't accept them because they had been installed...pay the return shipping and pay the stocking fee.. You guys are garbage.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

Once my patents for wiping ass by folding toilet paper instead of crunching it up passes, I will be suing all your asses,LITERALLY. it should be any day now. Also I am patenting fapping with left hand....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes
Shame on you. Goin to sue all of china and Taiwan next?
      09-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU View Post
So putting more cree LED's is copying your design? If I put 10 per replacement light, are you going to sue me? You guys are mad that these are almost half the price, yet better! I just purchased these for my 11' E90 335 M sport and they are killer. The other day it was in the 90's and very bright out...my girlfriend was driving in front of me and said when she looked into her mirror, my angel eyes were clear, bright, and crisp...especially even too. These are much better than the V3's I had and look much better than my friends V4's. He tried to return his V4's because they were crap yet you guys wouldn't accept them because they had been installed...pay the return shipping and pay the stocking fee.. You guys are garbage.
We are simply stating a fact that we were the first ones to come up with this design, and obviously it works quite well otherwise they would not have copied it. Filing for Patents is a standard business practice in the USA and across the world and has been for the last few hundred years. Patents are filed to protect an idea so that others cant copy it and call it their own. Our hard work should be protected as we have put in countless hours of design and testing.

If you look back in the history of angel eyes we were the first company to come up with the 4 LED's on an angel and we should have patented that as well because as you can see Every other company is now using the same design.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread