E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW E90 320i Preventative Maintenance

02-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

BMW E90 320i Preventative Maintenance

So, like many other owners, appears i have discovered the very long thread about problems with the BMW 320i engine after purchasing the car.

So can anyone recommend the best preventative maintenance for this engine.

i.e, with the diesel engine removes swirl flaps asap

Any tips greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

1. Use of 98RON fuel
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

How many mileages does your car has?

I own 320i, and depending on the mileages, I can guide you through common problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

What year of made is it and what sort of service history does it come with?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
How many mileages does your car has?

I own 320i, and depending on the mileages, I can guide you through common problems.
March 2008 model with 30k on the clock. Auto if that makes any difference

1st service at approx 22 months old, just had second before being sold. Told it on this long life oil 2 year service

Last edited by shortie; 02-16-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post

1st service at approx 22 months old, just had second before being sold. Told it on this long life oil 2 year service

Thats nothing, you shouldnt be worry at all about it.

I guess you are out of warranty now, unless you extended it.

The only problem with 2 year servicing / oil change is that you develop CCV/ oil breather problems when you car approaches 90-100k, which ultimately increases the pressure in rocker cover (upper engine part) and lead to oil leakage in vaccum pump.

On previous engines (E46) on third service BMW was changing CCV valves, however with E90 they have stopped it.

Is your pre-LCI, or LCI mode?

I am not sure (please correct me somebody), but on LCI model, they have redesigned to avoid CCV and vaccum pump failures.

Upload some photos mate....will be nice to see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thats nothing, you shouldnt be worry at all about it.

I guess you are out of warranty now, unless you extended it.

The only problem with 2 year servicing / oil change is that you develop CCV/ oil breather problems when you car approaches 90-100k, which ultimately increases the pressure in rocker cover (upper engine part) and lead to oil leakage in vaccum pump.

On previous engines (E46) on third service BMW was changing CCV valves, however with E90 they have stopped it.

Is your pre-LCI, or LCI mode?

I am not sure (please correct me somebody), but on LCI model, they have redesigned to avoid CCV and vaccum pump failures.

Upload some photos mate....will be nice to see it.
It will be out of manufacturers warranty, it is network q supplied and they assure me it has a 12 month parts/labour warranty that will cover virtually everything even though its not vauxhall (even brake pads apparently).

I know you always hear the worst on forums, used to own a vauxhall astra 1.9 150 cdti and everyone said the same about the dmf, gearbox, egr and inlet manifold. Then a mondeo st tdci and it was all about the dmf and injectors. But i never had any issues with either of them.

As for pre/post LCI, not a clue, can you tell from the pics?

Here is the ad

http://www.pentagon-vauxhall.co.uk/u...r+auto/du08ofy

And thanks for the advice mate
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice car Mate.

It is pre-LCI model and in the same year I guess LCI (new shape of front and rear lights) was introduced.

You should not worry about any thing if you have 1 year warranty.

Just go through the service menu and see what sort of services are coming (front / rear brake pads, Pollen filter, or brake oil).

As with BMW its all CBS (condition based service) and your car will tell you what you need to do.

However under the hood, keep any eye for any oil leakages (which usually start appearing 80-100K).

All the best, nice ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nice car Mate.

It is pre-LCI model and in the same year I guess LCI (new shape of front and rear lights) was introduced.

You should not worry about any thing if you have 1 year warranty.

Just go through the service menu and see what sort of services are coming (front / rear brake pads, Pollen filter, or brake oil).

As with BMW its all CBS (condition based service) and your car will tell you what you need to do.

However under the hood, keep any eye for any oil leakages (which usually start appearing 80-100K).

All the best, nice ride.
Yeah i was quite confused when i saw the service book, 2 stamps, 1 of which recently, i thought how can that be FSH, wasn't aware of this CBS.

Cheers, thank you, anywhere in particular for the oil leaks?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah i was quite confused when i saw the service book, 2 stamps, 1 of which recently, i thought how can that be FSH, wasn't aware of this CBS.

Cheers, thank you, anywhere in particular for the oil leaks?

See these.

1- From number 1 (there are two of these) and number 4 (again two).
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=11&fg=15

2- From number 7
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=11&fg=15

3- From number 2
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=11&fg=15

From my point 2 and 3, you need to take the engine cover off, (where ignition plugs are hidden).

But for 1 posting, you can observed from the front of engine.

Due to low mileages, I do not expect, that there should be any problem at all with you car, however you should well look after the interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers mate, great help you are

Im sure over the next few weeks i will have plenty of questions lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Would anyone recommend any routine maintenance to keep the engine a problem free as possible?

i.e replace coil pack / spark plugs ever ?0000 miles. Talking more than the obvious oil and filter changes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Would anyone recommend any routine maintenance to keep the engine a problem free as possible?

i.e replace coil pack / spark plugs ever ?0000 miles. Talking more than the obvious oil and filter changes.
If you use bmw original spark plugs (cost about 16 each for your car), then they last for 60K.

The only things you can do is, go for interim oil service if you cover plenty of mileages / annum, as use recommended oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Sorry to bump this thread again but i have a few more questions: I know the service book is stamped by network q last month but as with any car i have purchased in the past, i want it to get a good service as you never know what they have really done.

Tried looking online but all i find is CBS saying sensors will tell you when each thing needs doing, not like the old days of change this at 10000miles and that every 25000 miles lol.

So Im thinking fresh oil and filter, new spark plugs, new brake fluid and new coolant. Would anyone recommend refreshing anything else whilst i am at it?

General consensus seems to stick with BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

The car has done only 30K mate.
Just do oil service with filter and change the pollen filter.
If you have plenty of money, go for brake fluid change.
Coolant can last upto 5 years. Wait for another year.
Spark plugs are half worn, use them for next 30k. Dont waste your money on them IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #16
gelicate
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. I bought a 320i (Jul 08) from Car Giant about 6 months ago without a warranty...i know silly me. It was running fine up until about 2 months ago when i started getting serious hesitation under acceleration (usually from low revs in 2nr or 3rd gear) and engine warning light come on. I took it to an independent BMW garage over the weekend to get the fault codes read. came back with misfire from cyclinder 1 and a few other emissions and lambda warnings. My Mpg seems to have dropped a lot recently as well.

This obviously all points to the coil failure. The garage recommended taking it to a BMW main dealer and trying to plead the case that they replace any faulty part as it is a known fault with 320i's. The car is out of warranty (2008 and done 50k miles). It had a full BMW service history previous to this, has anyone had any success in getting BMW to foot the part and/or labour bill for these type of repairs outside of warranty!?

Also is changing the coils and plugs normally enough to fix the issue or do injectors ave to e replaced as well??

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelicate View Post
Hi,

Just looking for some advice. I bought a 320i (Jul 08) from Car Giant about 6 months ago without a warranty...i know silly me. It was running fine up until about 2 months ago when i started getting serious hesitation under acceleration (usually from low revs in 2nr or 3rd gear) and engine warning light come on. I took it to an independent BMW garage over the weekend to get the fault codes read. came back with misfire from cyclinder 1 and a few other emissions and lambda warnings. My Mpg seems to have dropped a lot recently as well.

This obviously all points to the coil failure. The garage recommended taking it to a BMW main dealer and trying to plead the case that they replace any faulty part as it is a known fault with 320i's. The car is out of warranty (2008 and done 50k miles). It had a full BMW service history previous to this, has anyone had any success in getting BMW to foot the part and/or labour bill for these type of repairs outside of warranty!?

Also is changing the coils and plugs normally enough to fix the issue or do injectors ave to e replaced as well??

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks
If it has full BMW history, they should help you partially.

I have been told that:
If bmw car < 5 years
and had full BMW history

they will charge you £90 to assess the car.
Now whatever comes on, they will have to write to BMW office in UK to seek the advice.
Once they tell you the fault, and if it turns out to be coils and plugs, they will only replace the faulty parts.

As your car is out of warranty, you may have to contribute.
They may provide you the parts, but you may have to pay the labour charges.

No matter who owned the car, if it has BMW full service history, ring your local stealer and seek the advice.
      12-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
E90F30er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90 320i

Exclamation

OP shortie

> i.e, with the diesel engine removes swirl flaps asap

What do you mean by diesel engine when 320i is petrol?

Please direct me to any previous threads on the pre-LCI 320i N46B20 engine especially oil leaks from rocket cover, rocker cover gasket, vacuum pump, sump pan gasket!

I made a mistake buying this engine without knowing in the future what problems I was to have! :-(

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

If anyone wants to do more maintenance than the CBS (which is recommended if you want to keep the car over 100k) send me a pm with your email address and i can email you Mike Millers latest maintenance schedule.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 mineral grey N47 ed

Quote:
The car has done only 30K mate.
Just do oil service with filter and change the pollen filter.
If you have plenty of money, go for brake fluid change.
Coolant can last upto 5 years. Wait for another year.
Spark plugs are half worn, use them for next 30k. Dont waste your money on them IMO.
I do agree with Makkan, maybe you could also check air filter if it has never been replaced till now.