E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > LCI E92 320d auto - knocking at the rear?

01-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

LCI E92 320d auto - knocking at the rear?

Hi guys,

I bought and fitted a DTUK tuning box for my automatic 320d over the weekend and have noticed a slight knocking from the rear when under load. Its most noticeable between 2500 and 3000 rpm in 3rd gear...

Any ideas as to what this might be? It almost sounds like a poorly aligned exhaust banging against the transmission tunnel but that's all OEM and never been touched so I'd be surprised.

It didn't make this noise before the DTUK box though!

I have also been researching torque converters too but think I can rule this out as the problem - for a start it wouldn't cause knocking at the rear and the TC was upgraded for the power increase on the 184hp LCI models so should be man enough for the DTUK box.

Diff maybe? I'm out of ideas...

Other than this the tuning box is great... and much quicker than standard now
      01-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

Hmmmm... Guess no one has had a similar problem/noise. Maybe I should have posted this in the technical forum?

Having put some more miles under my belt last night I feel happier that this isn't a major issue and only happens on the very rare occasion. I think I'll just keep an eye on it and if need be I'll bring the map back slightly to see if it makes a difference.