Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Car wont see new TPMS on new wheels [Fixed]

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 08 335i

Car wont see new TPMS on new wheels [Fixed]

Ordered wheels from N4SM and was sent TPMS with them, had discount tire install but when I put them on the car the TPMS light wont go away after resetting many times. Any thoughts?

Last edited by GATORSHOES2; 07-02-2014 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

They sent you tpms for newer cars, not your '08.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
They sent you tpms for newer cars, not your '08.
Sensors have a 433Mhz Frequency. Which is what the pre-2010 use to my understanding?
      06-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

How long have you been driving it...reset take a good couple minutes with you driving the car

We're the TPMS rectangular in shape or like peanut?
      06-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
How long have you been driving it...reset take a good couple minutes with you driving the car

We're the TPMS rectangular in shape or like peanut?
I've reset it multiple times, once at a stoplight right before getting on the highway, and a few time through the neighborhood.

CC-ID 149 which is TPM Malfunction, which is what the iDrive display says as well. Do I need to drive while it says malfunction?
      06-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Incompatible sensors can use the same frequency but they still won't work with your car. Think of it as communicating on the same frequency but speaking a different language.

Call the seller and ask them if they sent you TPMS sensors for your year and model of car.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORSHOES2 View Post
I've reset it multiple times, once at a stoplight right before getting on the highway, and a few time through the neighborhood.

CC-ID 149 which is TPM Malfunction, which is what the iDrive display says as well. Do I need to drive while it says malfunction?
If you reset it and drove it on the highway, the malf light should've gone away. you either have the wrong TPMS or the they sent you at least one defective one.

You didn't answer my 2nd question...where they
this

or this
      06-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you reset it and drove it on the highway, the malf light should've gone away. you either have the wrong TPMS or the they sent you at least one defective one.

You didn't answer my 2nd question...where they
this

or this
They were more square. But they are ITM Uni-Sensors so I wasn't sure that applied to your question.

TODAY: Discount tire checked the sensors and they all read the PSI readout to his device, car refuses. N4SM says the sensors are correct for my car.

The TPMS system worked with the oem wheels. So I dont think it's the cars fault. But is there something I can troubleshoot?

I cant get bmwlogger to connect to my dme also.
      06-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #9
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

looks like your UNI-sensors might require programming...at least that's how I understood it from the sites description. they're universal but not plug and play. Did N4SM program or program 'em correctly for before they sent them?

see link

http://itmautoparts.com/introduction/

and here

http://itmautoparts.com/how-does-uni-sensor-work/
      06-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep

Quote:
looks like your UNI-sensors might require programming...at least that's how I understood it from the sites description. they're universal but not plug and play. Did N4SM program them for you before they sent them?

see link

http://itmautoparts.com/introduction/

and here

http://itmautoparts.com/how-does-uni-sensor-work/
Yes, he even wrote left/right on each tpms box. With that said, thats why I moved the tires from right side to left to see if that fixed it. Nothing.
idk how to locate the receivers on the rear fenders, but I still dont think thats the problem. After changing the wheels I need to reset correct?

Say I put the old wheels on, all systems green.
Turn off the car and change to the new ones and its still green, I need to reset?
      06-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Yes, he even wrote left/right on each tpms box. With that said, thats why I moved the tires from right side to left to see if that fixed it. Nothing.
idk how to locate the receivers on the rear fenders, but I still dont think thats the problem. After changing the wheels I need to reset correct?

Say I put the old wheels on, all systems green.
Turn off the car and change to the new ones and its still green, I need to reset?

yes, you need to reset the TPMS every time you change the wheels out. Reset in iDrive then drive for several minutes, light should go away. Also what colors are the warning light? Combination of colors will tell you if it's an actual defective sensor. forgot which is which but it's either red or yellow.

If you verify that it works with the old set of wheels then your new TPMS need to be reprogrammed...he wrote left/right on the box? it shouldn't matter what side they go on. think of it this way, if I was to have a squared set of wheels and tires and I wanted to rotate them do I need to dismount the tires and switch out the sensors?
      06-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep

Quote:
yes, you need to reset the TPMS every time you change the wheels out. Reset in iDrive then drive for several minutes, light should go away. Also what colors are the warning light? Combination of colors will tell you if it's an actual defective sensor. forgot which is which but it's either red or yellow.

If you verify that it works with the old set of wheels then your new TPMS need to be reprogrammed...he wrote left/right on the box? it shouldn't matter what side they go on. think of it this way, if I was to have a squared set of wheels and tires and I wanted to rotate them do I need to dismount the tires and switch out the sensors?
Warning light flashes for a while [YELLOW] then stays solid [YELLOW]

I also didn't know what the left/right was for. I'm going to play with it some more, I talked to him about sending me some new ones and returning these to him.
      06-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: x335i/x550i/x640i/x540i/c750i

Any updates? I am in the same exact position...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTCoupe View Post
Any updates? I am in the same exact position...
Same sesnors or just the same problem? If I can't get the car to read the sensors the guy at N4SM has talked with me about sending me new sensors and me returning these. Just have to fork out money for an unmount/mount again....

Going to unplug the battery for 10-20 minutes then try resetting. A guy from reddits bmw tech said the car might still be looking for the old sensors instead of acknowledging that there is new ones.
He also said the tire shop needs to tell the car to look for the new ones. So I'll have to check again tomorrow.
      06-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same sesnors or just the same problem? If I can't get the car to read the sensors the guy at N4SM has talked with me about sending me new sensors and me returning these. Just have to fork out money for an unmount/mount again....

Going to unplug the battery for 10-20 minutes then try resetting. A guy from reddits bmw tech said the car might still be looking for the old sensors instead of acknowledging that there is new ones.
He also said the tire shop needs to tell the car to look for the new ones. So I'll have to check again tomorrow.

Same problem as well. I actually have these sensors ^ I do not blame it is a PITA to do that and it takes a while too. I read some where about unplugging the battery but what am I exactly disconnecting? The negative only or the whole battery it self? I heard that they need to code them to the car but how so? Thanks man truly appreciate the reply.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #16
GATORSHOES2
Private
Rep

Quote:

Same problem as well. I actually have these sensors ^ I do not blame it is a PITA to do that and it takes a while too. I read some where about unplugging the battery but what am I exactly disconnecting? The negative only or the whole battery it self? I heard that they need to code them to the car but how so? Thanks man truly appreciate the reply.
I disconnected the negative for about 20-30 minutes and all it did was reset my clock and date. Still have the same issue. Going to see if discount can actually tell the car to learn the sensors. But today with his machine he told me that it just said to reset it from the car. I'll definitely update the post if I find a solution.
      06-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #17
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

I'm curious how much cheaper these universal type sensors cost you compared to the OEM sensors we sell that require no programming or other headaches. We're at $55 each for the OEMs including stems.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #18
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I disconnected the negative for about 20-30 minutes and all it did was reset my clock and date. Still have the same issue. Going to see if discount can actually tell the car to learn the sensors. But today with his machine he told me that it just said to reset it from the car. I'll definitely update the post if I find a solution.
Please do! I am anxious of finding out. It's driving me crazy especially since I have an upgrade audio the bong sound is just too loud. But I will try disconnecting the battery perhaps it'll do the trick if not than I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
I'm curious how much cheaper these universal type sensors cost you compared to the OEM sensors we sell that require no programming or other headaches. We're at $55 each for the OEMs including stems.
+1
I have bought 2 sets from you and they work flawless in my e90 and f10. Correct sensors without the headache.
      06-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #20
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:

what year is your car the senor in the pic was made October 23rd, 2008. If your car is LCI then they won't work. If it's pre-lci then there is a chance that the sensor has a dead battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #21
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

are you sure you are resetting the tpms correctly? i know in idrive i just have to click reset and then wait a few seconds and then drive like 500ft and it pairs. they dont just magically pair if in range, you have to tell the car to look for the new sensors first.
      06-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #22
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
what year is your car the senor in the pic was made October 23rd, 2008. If your car is LCI then they won't work. If it's pre-lci then there is a chance that the sensor has a dead battery.

Its a 06/09 build. How can I know for sure?
Appreciate 0